The existence of the gig economy has helped to create many job opportunities for those who like to work on their own schedule and still earn decent money. There are several gig jobs that you can find and make money as a part-time worker. Rover is one of these services.
You get to spend time with dogs while earning money. It is a good opportunity for every dog lover out there who can’t own a dog or just needs the extra money. This article will help you learn about Rover, how it operates, how to join the platform, pros and cons, and how much you can make on Rover.
What Is Rover?
Rover is an online dog service company founded in 2011 under the name A Place for Rover by Aaron Easterly, Greg Gottesman, and Philip Kimmey. The company offers different services including dog sitting, dog boarding, dog walking, dog daycare, and drop-in visits to users who need them.
It has also partnered with Petco and DogTV to offer services and has a panel of pet experts to offer pet advice and guidance. Rover currently operates in the US, Canada, and Europe. Users who offer pet care are independent contractors and not employees of Rover.
How Does Rover Work?
Rover allows users to book services with dog walkers on the platform to care for their dogs. Users can offer services that include dog walking, dog boarding, and dog sitting. Owners have to sign up and book the service they need and wait for up to 72 hours for the sitter to accept or reject the request.
As a new Rover user, you have to go through the initial process of meeting with the dog owner before being able to accept requests. As a dog walker or sitter, you get access to your funds two days after completing the job. Rover takes about 20 to 25 percent commission.
As a sitter or owner, to book a service, you simply have to send or accept requests in a straightforward process that takes very little time. Pet owners are also charged a 15 percent service fee in addition to paying the dog walker their hourly rate.
How Much Can You Actually Make on Rover?
According to Glassdoor, the average hourly rate that a pet sitter earns on Rover ranges from $14 to $29. This is based on many reviews of different services. The amount that you make on Rover depends on the services you provide and the amount you charge. Rover allows sitters to set their own prices. You can check the standard rate of other users in your area and set your rate accordingly.
The Pros and Cons of Working on Rover
Working on Rover has its advantages and disadvantages like most other companies. We have listed some of these pros and cons below.
Pros of Working on Rover
- Flexible schedule. Working on Rover means you are your own boss. You get to set your schedule including the number of hours, services, and days that you work. This makes it easy for those who have other jobs to provide their services and earn extra cash.
- Get paid to play with dogs. Rover is a great opportunity for you to play with dogs and earn money. This is especially great for those who love dogs but can’t own dogs.
- Option to sit or walk dogs. Rover isn’t limited to just sitting or walking dogs. You can also choose to board dogs or do drop-ins for dog owners. This allows you to explore different services and also get more jobs if you choose to offer more than just the dog walking service.
- Set your pay. You choose your own salary on Rover. The company doesn’t give you a minimum or maximum rate. The amount you charge should be comparable to other sitters in your area.
- Rover Guarantee. Working with Rover means you have the company’s support during bookings. The Rover Guarantee covers accidents for clients and dogs that cost between $250 to $25,000 in veterinary bills as well as property damage in certain cases.
- Supportive community. Rover has a supportive community that dog sitters can use to communicate with their fellow sitters and find help if they run into challenges. There is also a Facebook group where sitters can discuss personal experiences with each other.
Cons of Working on Rover
- Distrust from pet owners. Due to some recent bad reviews of Rover from pet owners, the company has lost quite a few clients. This makes it difficult for sitters to get jobs and when they do, they have to work extra hard to earn the dog owner’s trust.
- Tax payment. As a dog sitter on Rover, you are an independent contractor and not an employee. This means you have to account for potential taxes each time you get paid. You also need to keep track of all the money you earn on Rover. However, this is common for most gig jobs.
- No benefits. Unlike full-time jobs, Rover pet sitters aren’t employees, so the company doesn’t offer any healthcare or insurance benefits.
- No consistency. As a dog walker, you may have some days when you don’t have any clients or jobs to do as it isn’t a full-time job. Some days will be busier than others which means your payment isn’t consistent either.
- Initial payment. To get started on Rover, you have to pay an initial 10 dollars for a background check. Without paying this amount, you won’t be able to sign up and start as a dog walker.
- High commission. Rover charges a 15 percent commission to its sitters on all jobs. This means that as a sitter, you only get 85 percent of your earnings. You also can’t withdraw payments instantly.
How to Become a Rover Dog Walker or Sitter
Getting started on Rover is a pretty straightforward process. You simply have to register on the app with your information, set up your profile, pass a background check, and get accepted. You can find step-by-step details below.
The very first step to working as a Rover sitter is to sign up, fill out your profile, and set your rate. This process can be completed in minutes. If you have difficulty in deciding what your profile should look like, you can check other sitters’ profiles and rates. You may want to start with a lower rate as a beginner to build up your clientele.
2. Background Check
When you have successfully set up your profile, you can then give consent for a basic background check. You will have to pay 10 dollars for this process. This check is done to ensure that you don’t have any criminal offenses or records and owners can trust you with their pets.
Upon successful completion of the background check, you will then be able to accept requests on the platform. All you have to do is go to the ‘Pending Requests’ section on your profile and check for dog owners that require your service. You can see the requirements and decide if you want to accept the request or not. The registration process takes about five days.
How to Make More Money on Rover
You are guaranteed to make money on Rover when you sign up as a dog walker. We’ve provided some tips to help you earn as much as possible.
Use a Catchy Headline
Your headline is one of the first things pet owners will see when they visit your sitter profile. You should use a headline that will grab and keep their attention and have them consider booking you. It should be something that will show them your special skills, what makes you stand out, and why they should hire you.
Use a Flattering Profile Photo
Your profile picture should be something that shows your professionalism and your love for dogs. It could be a picture that shows you having fun with a dog. You should ensure that the picture is clear and shows your face.
Have a Compelling ‘About You’ Section
Your ‘About You’ section is where the owner gets to know you and the quality of your service. It should be appealing and convincing and should tell them about your love for dogs, your passion for the job, and what you have to offer.
Pass the Rover 101 Exam
Passing the Rover 101 exam will give you a graduation cap icon on your profile that will further prove to owners that you are right for the job. It proves that you have the necessary knowledge and skills required to provide excellent service and keep pets safe. The exam is pretty easy to pass and will teach you about how Rover works.
Do a Competitive Price Analysis
You should research the prices of pet sitters in your area to see how much they charge. You should focus on the prices in your neighborhood as each neighborhood has different costs for different reasons. This is to ensure you are not over or undercharging.
Offer More Than One Service
Don’t restrict yourself to one service. Offering different types of services, like dog walking and pet sitting, will give you more opportunities to make money. You can also make yourself available during peak periods for pet services and earn an additional holiday rate.
Get Good Reviews
Having positive reviews on your profile for new clients to see is very helpful. It demonstrates that others who have worked with you have enjoyed your service and helps to build a certain level of trust.
You can also add pictures of you working with dogs and use captions to show your professionalism and experience. Try to avoid pictures without you in them or with too many dogs.
Get Repeat Clients
When you provide excellent service it is easy to get repeat clients. You may also end up getting tips from regular clients who you and appreciate your service.
Is Working on Rover Worth It?
Working on Rover as a part-time gig job is a great opportunity to make extra cash. While some people work as pet sitters full-time, it may not work for everyone. However, if you provide excellent service, you are likely to make enough money to work a job full-time. Otherwise, it is a great way to make supplemental income in your free time.
Making Money on Rover FAQ
Can you make good money with Rover?
You can make good money on Rover and earn as much as the federal minimum wage. The average earning of Rover pet sitters is about $17 per hour according to Glassdoor. However, the amount you make is dependent on you as you set your own rate.
Is Rover worth working for?
Rover is worth working for as a pet sitter or dog lover who enjoys taking care of dogs and needs extra income. You get to work in your own time, set your own rates, and have the option to offer different pet care services.
Who pays more, Rover or Wag?
With both companies you get to set your rates, however, they both charge a commission on what you earn. Rover charges 20 percent commission while Wag charges 40 percent. You get to offer the same services with both companies.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Can Rover be a full-time job?
Rover can be a full-time job and source of income if you are willing to put in the work to earn enough income. There have been several news stories of people who make above the minimum wage working on Rover, which means it’s possible. However, it might be best to start with it as a part-time job until you build your clientele.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.