Dogs are humans’ best friends. They only require lots of cuddles, food, and frequent exercise to keep them. Some working professionals may find it difficult to take their dogs on frequent walks. Thankfully, Wag! has made it possible to outsource this task by providing dog walkers. So, how much can you make on Wag and what do you need to get started? Read on to find out.
What Is Wag?
Wag! is an American on-demand app that allows pet parents to book overnight care, dog-walking, and training. Dog walkers and caretakers pay a platform fee and are free to begin accepting and applying for jobs. It is an innovative solution for people who need a little extra support for their dogs’ care.
Wag offers some distinct benefits and features for walkers, and this is why it stands out. There are a wide variety of in-demand services offered through the platform, including walking, sitting, boarding, in-home training, and digital training, as well as drop-in visits. Other than a grooming service, Wag provides dog owners with all the support they need.
How Does Wag Work?
Dog caretakers and walkers sign up for jobs using the Wag! app. Similarly, dog owners create an account on Wag to have access to dog services. Dog walkers can create their own schedules and work as much or as little as they want. Wag has a base fee that doesn’t require negotiation from walkers or owners.
Dog walkers who are registered on Wag are independent contractors. They use the app to view available walk requests in their area and decide if they want to accept them. Requests often indicate the time of the walk and how long it should last. It also includes information about the dog’s breed and how far the location is from the walker.
How Much Can You Actually Make on Wag?
Your earnings on Wag! depend on many factors, especially because you are not an employee but rather an independent contractor. According to Wag, a 30-minute walk costs an average of $20. Pet boarding or sitting costs about $26 per night, and some owners may pay more if they have more than one dog.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
While walkers can keep 100 percent of the tips they earn, Wag takes 40% of the base pay. The base salary ranges from $12.75 – $19.99 for a 20-minute walk, $17.00 – $26.99 for the 30-minute walk, and $25.50 – $36.99 for 60-minute walks.
The Pros and Cons of Working on Wag
Wag! is an excellent platform to make money. For most people, this type of job is part-time. It is also ideal because you don’t need any educational qualifications and you can make your own schedule. However, there are some cons to working on this platform. Listed below are some of the main pros and cons of working on Wag.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
Pros of Working on Wag
- You can keep your tips. Although Wag takes a hefty percentage of the base pay, walkers are entitled to keep 100 percent of their tips. This can accumulate to quite the amount, especially in the more expensive cities.
- You’re provided with lots of resources. Wag fully prepares and guides walkers and pet caregivers through a variety of resources. With Wag’s support, walkers are given advice and resources for different temperaments, dog equipment, and issues that may arise on the job.
- You can make your own hours. Wag allows walkers and caregivers to create their own schedule and have full control over the type of tasks they want to take on. The procedure is also quite smooth. You simply need to log in and browse the different requests in your area and accept the most suitable ones.
- You get to work with dogs. For many people, getting paid to walk, play with, and take care of dogs is a dream. By working with Wag, you get to meet and become familiar with all kinds of dog breeds, temperaments, and personalities, all while being paid.
- Exercise and sightseeing. Aside from the money you can make on Wag, you can enjoy the benefits that exercise entails. Working on Wag allows you to learn new routes and explore the surrounding areas. This also means you’ll have the privilege of choosing a different work location whenever you choose.
Cons of Working on Wag
- Wag Takes 40% of the base pay. Like most similar platforms, walkers on Wag cannot set their walking rates. Every request is subject to a flat rate. This means that walkers have limited control over their earning potential. Furthermore, the platform collects 40%, which impacts how much money you can make in a month.
- Wag doesn’t fully protect pet caregivers. As dogs differ in personality and temperament, there’s no way of predicting what could happen. When something does go wrong, Wag’s customer claim policy does not offer a lot of support. This could result in pet parents directly suing you for property damage caused by their own pet.
- Registration is not free. Walkers can download Wag for free. However, the registration process is not free. The platform requires any interested walker to pay $29.95 for a background check before getting approval to work on Wag. While it is a necessary process that protects dog owners and assures that their pets are safe, it is still quite costly.
- Some dogs can be difficult. All dogs are different, and some can be problematic. There is no way to predict how the dog will react to a stranger walking them. Some dogs may get along fine with walkers, while others may be more aggressive. The risk of getting injured comes with the job.
- Location matters. Your location as a walker can determine how much you make from the platform. This is mainly because walkers tend to get more requests in larger cities or urban areas. In smaller cities or towns, it may be difficult to get steady requests. Fewer opportunities to work translate to a reduced earning potential.
How to Become a Wag Walker
You must consider certain factors before becoming a Wag! walker, including eligibility. Some of the requirements include being above 18 years and authorized to work, living in a city where the platform operates, living in a building that does not outlaw pets, and passing a background check and safety quiz. Below is a detailed list of the steps you need to take to work on Wag.
1. Create An Account
The first step is to create your Wag account. Go to the website and create the account by adding your basic information and other required details. You will also be asked to provide references. Wag then sends your references forms to fill out and return. When it is done, prospective walkers will watch training videos to prepare them for the pet care quiz.
2. Background check
Once you’ve created an account and completed the basic requirements, you’ll need to complete a background check. Background checks cost $29.95 through Wag, and this fee is paid by the prospective walker. The process can take anywhere from three days to several weeks, depending on how quickly the background check is completed.
3. Start Working and Get Paid
Once you have been approved to begin working, you can set up your account for payment using the Stripe payment platform. You will be asked to enter your debit card or bank account information. After that, you can start accepting requests for a variety of dog-care services.
How to Make More Money on Wag
Like other gig economy platforms, it can be difficult to solely live off of your Wag! earnings. However, there are a few things you should do to maximize your earnings. These tips are provided below.
Tips are one of the best ways to increase your earning potential through Wag, especially because you can keep 100 percent of them. You should take advantage of this by providing excellent service. It is beneficial if you learn customer service skills or refresh your memory on the ones you’ve learned in the past.
Use the Referral Code
Wag offers bonuses when you refer a new customer who makes a direct booking for a dog walk. Walkers can earn up to $25 for every new customer that signs up with their referral code. These new customers will also receive a $20 credit for their first walk. This is a great way to maximize your income and introduce pet parents to the services provided by Wag.
Wear Comfortable Shoes
If you live in a hotspot, you will likely receive many jobs. This is a good thing, but it also means you’ll be walking a lot. If you walk around for hours without comfortable walking shoes, you are doing your feet a huge disservice. This is especially important if you work on Wag long-term.
Offer More Services
Although Wag is most commonly known for dog-walking, it offers many other dog-care services, including overnight care, pet sitting, pet training, and drop-in visiting. The more services you offer, the more opportunities you’ll have access to, which maximizes your earnings.
Be Careful With The Dogs
You need to exercise caution while caring for or walking a dog from the platform. You can utilize the resources provided by Wag, in addition to doing your own research to learn about ways to minimize safety concerns while they’re in your care. Accidents and injuries are not unheard of with these types of platforms.
Is Working on Wag Worth It?
Working on Wag is worth it for many walkers. For those who have a passion for animals, it’s one of the best jobs they can have. Pet-care providers can easily and quickly get started, create their own schedules, and enjoy all of the perks of working on Wag. If you love dogs and are looking for a little extra income, Wag might be the perfect solution for you.
Making Money on Wag FAQ
Unfortunately, no. Wag walkers and dog caretakers are considered independent contractors, which releases Wag from the obligation to provide health insurance.
Wag does not restrict its walkers from applying to other similar on-demand dog-walking services while still in their system. As a Wag dog walker, you can sign up for other services and accept as many requests as you can handle.
Yes, you need to pass a background check before getting approved for work on Wag. The background fee is $29.95 and is left to the potential walker to cover.
Wag deducts 40 percent of your base pay as a pet caregiver. Regardless of the service you provide, Wag takes the same percentage. However, you are entitled to keep 100 percent of the tips you earn, whether they’re given through cash or the app.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.