Massachusetts is one of the smallest yet most populous states in New England. It’s economy was initially dependent on agriculture, fishing, and trade. However, over the years the state and its capital, Boston, have grown. The largest companies in Massachusetts are in biotechnology, engineering, finance, and information technology.
In this article, we will take a look at the 10 largest companies in Massachusetts, where to find Massachusetts jobs, and jobs available in this state, and where to find Massachusetts jobs. But first, we’ll discuss how we defined the largest companies in Massachusetts. Ready? Let’s dive in.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
How We Defined the Largest Companies in Massachusetts
To determine which are the biggest companies in Massachusetts, we focused on the number of employees each company has, then ranked them from the highest to the lowest. The employee number includes all employees who work for the company worldwide. With this, the list was narrowed down to the 10 largest companies, with TJX Company coming in on top with 320,000 employees.
The Top 10 Largest Companies in Massachusetts
|Rank||Company||City||Number of Employees|
|3||Stop & Shop||Quincy||82,001|
|4||Thermo Fisher Scientific||Waltham||80,000|
|7||Fresenius Medical Care US||Waltham||70,000|
|9||Liberty Mutual Insurance||Boston||45,000|
1. TJX Companies
TJX Companies is a multinational discount department store corporation, and is the parent company to brands such as Marshalls, HomeGoods, and TJ Maxx. It has annual revenue of $41.7 billion and employs over 320,000 people across the world. It is considered an industry leader in off-price retail.
Jobs Available at TJX Companies
- Senior business analyst: As a senior business analyst, you will be in charge of reviewing the company’s business processes. Your job will be to identify opportunities and strategies to improve efficiency across the board.
- IT product manager: In this role, you will be in charge of the IT product lifecycle for the company. You’ll work closely with other members of the risk and compliance department to ensure product development is in compliance with company goals.
- Marketing specialist: As a marketing specialist, you will be responsible for the implementation of marketing strategies designed to build brand awareness and bolster client retention for the company.
Where to Find TJX Companies Jobs
To find available jobs at TJX Company, your best option is to check their careers site directly. You can also find openings on sites like Indeed, LinkedIn, and Glassdoor.
2. General Electric
General Electric operates in various segments, including water and power, oil and gas, energy management, and production of medical devices. Since its foundation in 1892, it has expanded and now offers infrastructure and financial services worldwide. It has annual revenue of $95.2 billion.
Jobs Available at General Electric
- Lean learning facilitator: As a lean learning facilitator, you will need excellent communication skills. You will be responsible for educating your colleagues about how they can add value to the company while using less resources.
- Staff project manager: In this role, you will be in charge of planning and executing a variety of projects. You will be the point of contact for the various teams that are working on the project you are overseeing. You will also assist all stakeholders by providing information and solving any issues that come up.
- Multimedia instructional designer: As an instructional designer, you will be responsible for creating instructional media that clearly communicates important information to everyone in the company.
Where to Find General Electric Jobs
You can find General Electric jobs on the company’s website, ZipRecruiter, Indeed, and LinkedIn.
3. Stop & Shop
Stop & Shop is a supermarket chain that has 82,001 employees at its stores in the northeastern US. It was founded in 1914 and brings in annual revenue of $15.2 billion. The company’s objective is to promote safe and responsible products by reinforcing its business practices and by providing plenty of associate training.
Jobs Available at Stop & Shop
- Assistant store manager. The assistant store manager is responsible for ensuring their branch reaches its sales goals. They are also responsible for providing exceptional customer service in their respective departments.
- Pharmacy technician. Pharmacy technicians assist pharmacists in checking and filling prescriptions, answering questions, responding to inquiries, and referring customers to the pharmacist when necessary.
- Home delivery assistant. As a home delivery assistant, you’ll work at one of Stop & Shop’s online grocery shopping distribution centers to load and unload orders for customers.
Where to Find Stop & Shop Jobs
Job seekers can find available jobs on the Stop Shop website, Indeed, and LinkedIn.
4. Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific is a company that supplies scientific instruments, consumables, and software services. Its mission is to enable customers to make the world cleaner, healthier and safer. Its brands provide customers with innovative technologies and pharmaceuticals.
Jobs Available at Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Marketer. As a marketer, you’ll be responsible for developing campaigns that help promote the company’s products and services. You will also be in charge of analyzing the results and making changes accordingly.
- Project manager. A project manager is accountable for planning and executing a project by leading their team. They must allocate resources and make sure the scope of the project fits with the budget.
- Human resources officer. Members of the human resource department are responsible for the recruiting, screening, interviewing, and placements of workers.
Where to Find Thermo Fisher Scientific Jobs
Job seekers can find Thermo Fisher Scientific jobs listed on the company’s website, as well as Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, and FlexJobs.
Staples is an office retail company founded in 1986 that brings in annual revenue of about $18.2 billion. There are more than 1,000 staples stores in the US, and the company also operates in 25 other countries. In addition to selling office supplies, Staples also offers printing and marketing services.
Jobs Available at Staples
- Order expeditor. The duties of an expeditor include tracking orders, handling delivery delays, coordinating with the warehouse manager, and ensuring all orders are shipped out.
- Art director. The art director is responsible for creating and overseeing the company’s brand and visual style, which appears in all publicity materials, on social media, and on the company’s website.
- Store manager. The store manager oversees the store’s daily operations, ensuring it runs smoothly and effectively.
Where to Find Staples Jobs
Available jobs can be found on the Staples careers website, as well as on Indeed and LinkedIn.
6. Raytheon Technologies
Raytheon is a technology company that specializes in defense and aerospace. It is one of the world’s largest defense manufacturers, in addition to providing intelligence services. The company was founded in 1922 and is well known for creating guided missiles, radars, electro-optical sensors, and electronic systems for airborne vehicles.
Jobs Available at Raytheon Technologies
- Senior service technician. As a senior service technician, you’ll perform a variety of duties related to the company’s equipment. These can include servicing, operating, maintaining, and repairing. You’ll also troubleshoot technical problems down to the component level.
- Electronic technician. As an electronic technician you must respond to moderately complex customer inquiries and resolve technical problems that may occur while installing, modifying, upgrading, maintaining, and repairing company products.
- DevOps engineer. As a DevOps engineer, you will be asked to provide solutions for any issues you encounter with the company’s software and applications. You must also demonstrate an understanding of best cyber security procedures.
Where to Find Raytheon Technologies Jobs
You can find available jobs on Raytheon’s website, LinkedIn, Indeed, and other job boards.
7. Fresenius Medical Care
Fresenius Medical Care is a healthcare company that offers kidney dialysis services and produces dialysis machines. It was incorporated in the US in 2006 and has 20,000 employees and annual revenue of $14.9 million in its US market. The company’s goal is to deliver superior care that improves the quality of life of every patient.
Jobs Available at Fresenius Medical Care
- Marketing specialist. This specialist helps develop, execute, and monitor marketing strategies across various channels. Their work includes researching the market, analyzing trends to help define the organization’s strategy, and providing advice on reaching the target audience.
- Business analyst. A business analyst conducts market analyses, studying both product lines and the overall profitability of the business. These professionals also develop data quality metrics to ensure the company stays on top of its goals.
- Case manager. A case manager facilitates patient care by assessing patient needs, evaluating treatment options, creating treatment plans, coordinating care, and gauging progress.
Where to Find Fresenius Medical Care Jobs
Job seekers can find available jobs on the Fresenius website, Indeed, Nephrocare, and ZipRecruiter.
8. Fidelity Investments
Fidelity Investments is a multinational financial services corporation founded in 1946 with the aim of helping investors meet their goals. The company strives to improve the financial well-being of its customers, which include both individuals and organizations.
Jobs Available at Fidelity Investments
- Business analyst – accounting. A business analyst supports the organization’s ongoing operations and modernization efforts. You can read this guide on how to become a business analyst if you think you’d be a good fit for this role.
- Customer service representative. The representative helps customers with complaints and questions, gives customers information about products and services, takes orders, and processes returns.
- Relationship manager. The manager looks for trends in the market, handles problems, and analyzes communications, contracts, and negotiations.
Where to Find Fidelity Investments Jobs
Available jobs can be found on the Fidelity website, LinkedIn, and Glassdoor.
9. Liberty Mutual Insurance
Liberty Mutual is an insurance company based in Boston. It was formed in 1912 and offers a wide range of insurance products and services, including personal automobile, homeowners, workers’ compensation, commercial automobile, general liability, group disability, and fire insurance.
Jobs Available at Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Sales representative. As a sales representative, you will be in charge of selling insurance products and services. You must identify leads, educate prospects on available products through calls and presentations, and work on client retention.
- Executive assistant. As an executive assistant, you will be in charge of a variety of clerical duties. This may include managing the schedules and communications of company executives.
- Lead copy editor. A copy editor creates, proofreads, and modifies content that the company is preparing to publish. They review and revise content to ensure accuracy, quality, and adherence to the company’s voice and brand.
Where to find Liberty Mutual Insurance?
You can find job openings for Liberty Mutual Insurance on its website, and on job boards like Glassdoor and LinkedIn.
Civitas Solutions provides healthcare services to its customers. It specifically caters to patients who have intellectual, developmental, or behavioral disabilities. The company oversees more than 500 smaller companies that operate juvenile justice programs, foster care, and behavioral health services.
Jobs Available at Sevita
- Production director. The responsibility of a production director is to oversee the production department, manage production workflow while working closely with the production team, and ensure that the company’s services are satisfying the customer.
- Operations specialist. An operations specialist manages the workflow in all departments of the business or company.
- Caregiver. A caregiver assists residents in a Civetas facility with daily living activities such as dressing, bathing, and preparing meals.
Where to Find Sevita Jobs
You can find jobs at Sevita by checking out the company’s website and by visiting popular job application websites like Glassdoor and Indeed.
Bonus: 3 More Large Companies in New Jersey You Should Know About
|Company||City||Number of Employees|
1. Boston Scientific
Boston Scientific focuses on medical devices and was founded in 1979. The company is focused on changing lives through innovative medical solutions like noninvasive treatments, primarily for respiratory, neurological, and cardiovascular diseases.
Jobs Available at Boston Scientific
- Field clinical specialist. The role of a field clinical specialist includes selling medical devices, providing detailed information about products to customers and trainees, and training medical staff to effectively use medical equipment.
- Medical director. A medical director monitors and improves the care provided by this medical device industry leader and helps reduce operating costs.
- Medical engineer. A medical engineer maintains and repairs clinical medical equipment and systems.
Where to Find Boston Scientific Jobs
You can find Boston Scientific jobs on the company’s website, and on LinkedIn, Indeed, and other online job boards.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Gillette company is a razor maker that was founded in 1901. It produces safety razors and other personal care products including but not limited to shaving supplies. It brings in annual revenue of about $960 million.
Jobs Available at Gillette
- Brand manager. A brand manager at Gillete company is responsible for developing a brand strategy, promoting and growing the brand, and implementing the ideas of their superiors.
- Brand director. A brand director is in charge of creating the brand strategy, supervising the marketing team, and managing promotional spending.
- Design specialist. A design specialist designs logos, brochures, signs, and more. They work with a team to create appealing images for digital and print media.
Where to Find Gillette Jobs
You can find available jobs on Gillete’s website, Indeed, and Glassdoor.
3. National Amusements
National Amusements is a private corporation founded in 1936 that owns cinemas and mass media outlets. It is an industry leader in the US with 23,900 employees and annual revenue of $680 million. It owns and operates Showcase Cinemas.
Jobs Available at National Amusements
- Event assistant. An event assistant performs the tasks and responsibilities assigned by the event planner or hosting team. Some of their duties include ordering catering and decorating event spaces.
- Digital product manager. A digital product manager oversees the lifecycle of a digital product from its inception to its launch.
- Product manager. Those who choose to become a product manager will be in charge of product planning and marketing. Some of their duties are understanding and representing users’ needs and defining the vision for a product.
Where to Find National Amusements Jobs
You can find job openings at National Amusements on the company’s website, plus on Indeed, LinkedIn, and Glassdoor.
Do Any Large Companies in Massachusetts Hire Bootcamp Grads?
Yes, large companies in Massachusetts hire bootcamp grads, including General Electric. While most companies do not specifically advertise whether they hire bootcamp graduates, many online coding bootcamps will connect you with relevant opportunities after you graduate. If you’re interested in jobs in Massachusetts, you can let your career coach know.
A coding bootcamp is perfect for people who do not have funds for a traditional college degree and people who want to get into tech within a short time frame. If you’re after a tech-related career at any of the companies listed above, a bootcamp is a great option.
Largest Companies in Massachusetts FAQ
In 2021, 18 Massachusetts companies made the Fortune 500 list.
According to The Boston Globe’s 2020 list of the Top Places To Work in Massachusetts, Hubspot ranks as the No. 1 place to work.
The leading industries in Massachusetts are biotechnology, maritime trade, engineering, information technology, finance, and tourism.
The minimum wage in Massachusetts is $14.25 per hour, and the state’s goal is to hike it up to $15 per hour by 2023.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.