The state of Michigan ranks high on the list of states with the most Fortune 500 companies. Michigan has 17 notable companies within its borders, some of which include the Ford Motor Company, General Motors, and Penske Automotive Group. The largest companies in Michigan, and the opportunities available within them, make this location ideal for career building.
In this article, we have compiled a list of the top 10 largest companies in Michigan, as well as where to find Michigan jobs within these corporations. Keep reading to find out how we defined the largest companies in Michigan. We also cover the current jobs available in Michigan that you should consider applying for if Michigan’s average salary of $65,265 piques your interest.
How We Defined the Largest Companies in Michigan
Our list of the top 10 largest companies in Michigan is defined by the number of employees within the company, ordered from highest to lowest employee count. This is not an exhaustive list of the largest businesses within the state, but will provide you with insight to help you make an informed decision when choosing your career path.
The Top 10 Largest Companies in Michigan
|Rank||Company||City||Number of Employees|
|1||Ford Motor Company||Dearborn||186,000|
|4||Whirlpool Corporation||Benton Harbor||78,000|
|5||Meijer Inc.||Grand Rapids||70,000|
|7||The Dow Chemical Company (DowDuPont)||Midland||35,700|
|9||American Axle & Manufacturing||Detroit||20,000|
1. Ford Motor Company
Dearborn-based Ford Motor Co. manufactures vehicles. It is the largest company on our list in terms of the number of employees. It was founded in 1903 by Henry Ford. The company sells cars and trucks, including commercial vehicles and electric vehicles, with over 2,300 EV-certified dealers in the US. Ford Motor Co. ranked 21st on the 2021 Fortune 500 list.
Jobs Available at Ford Motor Company
- Software Engineer. Software engineers help shape Ford’s digital strategy using Agile methods, coding, and cloud technologies. They also develop software architecture plans and assist the production team.
- FordLabs Product Designer. Product designers work with designers, product managers, and engineers to collaborate on customer-focused products. They are responsible for research, wireframes, and high-fidelity design.
- Logistics Analyst. Logistics analysts help build world-class smart vehicles. They are expected to think outside the box to help improve the manufacturing processes.
Where to Find Ford Motor Company Jobs
Ford Motor Company job openings are frequently listed on major job sites like Indeed and LinkedIn. Visiting the careers page on the company website will show you directly what jobs are available and will allow you to apply for them there.
2. Lear Corporation
Lear Corporation is a tier-one automotive supplier. It is an automotive technology company that provides automotive seating and electrical products to major automakers. Lear Corporation operates in 39 countries and was ranked number 179 in 2021 on the annual list of Fortune 500 companies.
Jobs Available at Lear Corporation
- Software Engineer. Software engineers develop embedded solutions and systems, develop hardware, platforms, and system-level solutions with a multidisciplinary team.
- PPAP Coordinator. PPAP coordinators are in charge of preparing and maintaining customer PPAP submissions, assisting SQTS, and generating QNs to suppliers for poor performance.
- Finance Database Administrator. Finance database administrators assist Senior DBAs and quote analysts with master data input into business planning and control systems and BPCS and SAP software.
Where to Find Lear Corporation Jobs
The best place to find Lear Corporation jobs is on the Lear Corporation careers page. This resource provides you with a complete list of available jobs. An alternative is utilizing major job sites like Glassdoor.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
3. General Motors
General Motors (GM) is an automaker company with headquarters in Detroit. GM was the global business leader for 77 years before Toyota surpassed it in 2008. Still, in 2021 GM owned a YTD Market Share percentage of 15 percent. General Motors’ current goal is geared toward increasing electric vehicle sales by 2024.
Jobs Available at General Motors
- Production Worker. Production workers are in charge of assembly, quality control, and equipment problems. Team members work in a manufacturing team environment that incorporates Global Manufacturing System (GMS) principles.
- General Assembly Business Planner. General assembly business planners are responsible for department manpower. This includes training and administrative tasks. The work requires considerable initiative in decision-making and independent judgment.
- Software Engineer. Software engineers collaborate to deliver complete features. They code embedded applications, create innovative automation, and design solutions using cutting-edge technology.
Where to Find General Motors Jobs
Visit the jobs at General Motors page to find all of the currently available jobs at GM in every single department. This is the easiest way to find out what positions the company is hiring for and what the jobs entail.
4. Whirlpool Corporation
Whirlpool Corporation is an American multinational home appliance manufacturer and marketer headquartered in Benton Charter Township, Michigan. It has roughly $21 billion in annual revenue and over 70 manufacturing and technology research centers worldwide. Whirlpool ranked number 154 in 2021’s Fortune 500 list.
Jobs Available at Whirlpool Corporation
- Privacy Analyst – Internet of Things (IoT). Privacy analysts integrate the company’s privacy through design philosophy and connected appliance development. They reduce the company’s risk by ensuring everyone understands the privacy by design requirements.
- Internet of Things Technical Manager/Architect. IoT managers present innovative ideas to Senior IoT leadership that will enhance the consumer experience. They guide the development team to solve business and time-critical problems.
- Platform Systems Engineer. These engineers document architecture design, including the conceptual system architecture model, requirements, and key decisions and trade-offs between requirements and architecture design.
Where to Find Whirlpool Corporation Jobs
Job search sites like Indeed are good for locating jobs at Whirlpool, but the Whirlpool Corporation career page under the United States and Canada section is the better of the two options.
5. Meijer Inc.
Meijer Inc. is an American supercenter chain based in Walker, Michigan, part of the Grand Rapids metropolitan area. Meijer is credited with creating the modern supercenter concept in 1962. Its 253 stores are spread across Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Meijer is the 21st largest retailer in the US based on 2020 revenue.
Jobs Available at Meijer Inc.
- Systems Analyst. Systems analysts provide first-level support to plex end users via phone, live meetings, and best practice training guides and SOPs.
- Analyst, Business – Trainee. Business analyst trainees ensure the right products are delivered to the correct locations on time. They also provide category and line reviews with assortment, pricing, and merchandising analysis.
- Store Director. Store directors are responsible for all team members and ensuring customers have the best shopping experience. They are responsible for the overall store operation in accordance with the company’s leadership expectations.
Where to Find Meijer Inc. Jobs
Utilize Meijer’s job page on the company website to find the latest job openings. Additionally, Indeed has over 2,000 search results alone for Meijer Inc., which makes it another great option.
Founded in 1899, Federal-Modul (FMC) is an American developer, manufacturer, and supplier of products for industrial, agricultural, and power generation applications. Its parent company is Tenneco and bought Federal-Mogul in October of 2018. FMC also provides aerospace and marine products.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
Jobs Available at Federal-Mogul
- Value Stream Simplification Business Analyst (VSSBA). VSSBAs assist the director of product management on value stream simplification. They support the product managers for reporting, analysis, and project management in shocks and struts.
- Application Engineer. Application engineers are in charge of powertrain system components and power cylinder systems development, and production support. They process sample orders and help analyze the end of test results and field returned parts.
- Project Management Office (PMO) Application Engineer. PMO application engineers create new products for advanced product quality planning in customer program development. They also manage multiple projects, lead a team, and work with global plants and technical centers as needed.
Where to Find Federal-Mogul Jobs
Tenneco, the parent company of Federal-Mogul, hosts the jobs page where you will find all of the current job openings. There are currently 83 job openings in Michigan for you to pursue. Federal-Mogul is also available on other major job search sites.
7. The Dow Chemical Company (DowDuPont)
The Dow Chemical Company, based in Midland, Michigan, is a multinational chemical corporation. DowDuPont is one of the three largest chemical producers in the world. In 2017, it merged with EI du Pont de Nemours & Company, also known as simply DuPont. DowDuPont was ranked as number 82 on the 2021 Fortune 500 list.
Jobs Available at The Dow Chemical Company
- Production Data Analyst. Production data analysts track production deviations, investigate the cause of any deviations found, and correct production and inventory data in SAP as needed.
- Cyber Defense Analyst. Cyber defense analysts are responsible for incident triage, monitoring, and innovation, basic forensics, and coordinating response activities. Their role is crucial in the defense against cyber attacks.
- Document Administrator. Document administrators are in charge of the plant’s information and documentation, including asset documentation, procedures, and processes.
Where to Find The Dow Chemical Company Jobs
Jobs at The Dow Chemical Company can be found on the careers page on its website. The company also has co-ops for students who might be interested in pursuing a career at the company. Explore job search sites for listings as well.
The Kellogg Company is an American multinational food manufacturing company based in Battle Creek, Michigan. It manufactures cereals and convenience foods like crackers and toaster pastries under brands such as Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies, Frosted Flakes, Pringles, Eggo, and Cheez-It. Kellogg’s is number 222 on the list of companies in the Fortune 500.
Jobs Available at Kellogg’s
- IT Operations Analyst. IT operations analysts support the business in retail and RQNT applications globally. They work collaboratively with other team members to solve complex problems.
- Multimedia Manager. Multimedia managers support global corporate affairs by providing production services and multimedia solutions that meet the global scale. Become a media manager to perform well in this role.
- Sr. Analyst Data Operations. The senior analyst of data operations is part of the global data management and governance team. This team develops policy and processes, measures compliance, and enforces standards.
Where to Find Kellogg’s Jobs
To find the latest jobs at Kellogg’s, visit Kellogg’s official job site. There are 15 jobs currently open in Michigan, and many more across the country and the world. Apart from the official site, visit major job search engines for listings.
9. American Axle & Manufacturing
American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. is an American manufacturer that designs, engineers, and produces products and technologies for ICE, hybrid, and electric driveline and engine systems. This company produces everything from small, intricate components to large, integrated systems for over 400 global customers.
Jobs Available at American Axle & Manufacturing
- Associate Software Engineer. Associate software engineers work on a team of engineers that create embedded software for driveline systems. They develop platform and application software used across numerous driveline products.
- Analyst, Sustainability. Sustainability analysts create the sustainability data management systems and the environment, social, governance, and product (ESGP) channels. They coordinate and implement corporate systems that support strategic initiatives.
- Software Validation Engineer. Software validation engineers contribute to the company’s electrification group within the driveline organization.
Where to Find American Axle & Manufacturing Jobs
American Axle & Manufacturing has a search engine-like job finder function on its careers page. Type in the type of job you want or the location you want and it will bring up any and all results. Michigan currently has 134 search results on the company’s site.
10. DTE Energy
DTE Energy is a diversified energy company based in Detroit that develops and manages energy businesses and services in the US and Canada. It has over two million electric customers and over one million natural gas customers in Michigan alone.
Jobs Available at DTE Energy
- IT Software Developer. IT software developers at DTE Energy develop and modify metrics reports, iterative builds, and prototype dashboards to provide insights and solutions for analytical needs.
- Associate Data Scientist. Associate data scientists collect, validate, transform, and cleanse data to derive insights using qualitative and quantitative statistical analysis and modeling.
- Financial Analyst – Technical Accountant. Financial analysts functioning as technical accountants conduct research and analysis for the accounting policy and research group.
Where to Find DTE Energy Jobs
If you’re looking for a job at DTE Energy, visit the careers page. Use the search bar to find specific positions, or browse featured jobs. You can also find job postings on sites like Indeed and Glassdoor.
Other Notable Organizations in Michigan
Michigan is not tied down to one industry, or one niche of jobs. Michigan is home to many diverse industries, including education, insurance, healthcare, and manufacturing. Even more impressive is that Detroit, MI is known as the automobile capital of the world, praised for its innovative products in the automotive industry.
The section below is a table of the additional, notable organizations in Michigan categorized alphabetically based on their industry. You will find all the industries mentioned above, as well as many more vital industries.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
International Automotive Components Group
Metaldyne Performance Group
|Childcare, Education, and Employment||Learning Care Group
Michigan State University
Western Michigan University
East Lansing Kalamazoo
|Finance and Insurance||Auto-Owners Insurance
Michigan Mutual Insurance Co.
Priority Health Choice Inc
|Lansing, Farmington Hills Grand Rapids|
|Financial Services||Chemical Bank
|Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals||Beaumont Health
Henry Ford Health System
McLaren Health Plan Inc.
Perrigo Company Plc
Sparrow Health System
Spectrum Health Hospitals
Trinity Health Care
Brand Blanc Midland
|Health Insurance||Alliance Health and Life Insurance Co.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan or BCN
Health Alliance Plan of Michigan
Meridian Health Plan of Michigan Inc
|Information Technology||HTC Global Services||Troy|
|Property Insurance||Foremost Insurance Group||Grand Rapids|
Universal Forest Products
|Food Services||Domino’s Pizza
Gordon Food Service
Do Any Large Companies in Michigan Hire Bootcamp Grads?
Yes, some of the largest companies in Michigan hire bootcamp graduates. Many top companies hire bootcamp graduates, including DTE Energy. In addition to hiring bootcamp grads, DTE Energy conducts its own bootcamps.
For the large companies in Michigan that do not hire bootcamp grads, many of the companies utilize a skills-based approach to hiring. This means that the hiring managers focus on the skills you have that are useful in your desired position. Software engineers are highly sought after in 2022 because many industries require software engineers.
As someone looking for a career change, or even simply just browsing other options, utilizing the resources you find is key in ensuring success in your search. Use the resources in this guide to find your dream job at one of the largest companies in Michigan and begin the career path for you.
Largest Companies in Michigan FAQ
The three biggest industries in Michigan are agriculture, tourism, and manufacturing. In particular, the automotive manufacturing industry is Michigan’s largest industry for manufacturing motor vehicles, bodies and trailers, and automotive parts.
The 17 Michigan companies included in the 2021 Fortune 500, by order in which they appear from highest to lowest on the list, are: Ford Motor Company, General Motors, DowDuPont, Penske Automotive Group, Whirlpool Corporation, Lear, Rocket Companies, Stryke, Kellogg, DTE Energy, Ally Financial, BorgWarner, SpartanNash, Auto-Owners Insurance, Autoliv, Masco, and CMS Energy.
Gretchen Whitmer is the incumbent governor of Michigan. Inaugurated on January 1, 2019, Whitmer is the state’s 49th governor and is a member of the Democratic Party.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the rate of unemployment in Michigan as of December 2021 is over five percent. This is a decrease from its peak in September 2021 when the unemployment rate was over six percent.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.