The largest companies in Minnesota belong to a range of industries, from healthcare and finance to technology and food. They typically have a company size of over 60,000 to even hundreds of thousands of employees. These private and public companies employ a lot of people for different types of jobs.
The company profiles below provide an in-depth look at the top 10 largest companies in Minnesota. From management to marketing, large companies need enough employees to support their business operations. So, we’ve also listed some available jobs in these companies that might catch your interest.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
How We Defined the Largest Companies in Minnesota
We’ve defined the largest companies in Minnesota based on their number of employees. The size of their workforce is a good indicator of company stability. In the table below, we’ve gathered the number of employees from multiple statistical sources.
Public companies like Target and UnitedHealth Group lead the list with over 409,000 and 330,000 employees, respectively. Private companies like Cargill come in at third with about 155,000 employees. So, if you live in Minnesota or you have plans to, you might want to consider seeking employment with one of the companies below.
The Top 10 Largest Companies in Minnesota
|Rank||Company||City||Number of Employees|
1. Target Corp.
Target Corporation, or Target, is a general merchandise chain with management headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It has changed its name to Target since being founded in 1902. It’s one of the largest retail stores that boasts a giant selection of consumer goods. In 2021, its revenue reached over $93.56 billion.
Jobs Available at Target Corp.
- Marketing Manager. A marketing manager generates strategies that align marketing with business objectives. They supervise advertising campaigns and partnerships.
- Product Designer. Product designers create various consumer products for a business. They generate multiple ideas and prototypes that are important for product development.
- Computer Engineer. A computer engineer handles various software and programs for an organization. They can build devices from scratch, design networks, and develop new software products.
Where to Find Target Corp. Jobs
You can find Target jobs through its website’s career page, where you can apply for full-time, remote, hybrid, or hourly roles. You can also find openings on job listing websites like LinkedIn and Indeed.
2. UnitedHealth Group
This multinational healthcare and insurance corporation provides affordable healthcare plans. It’s based in Minnetonka, Minnesota. This health care management corporation is in Zippia’s 2019 list as the sixth best insurance company to work for in Minnesota and the 28th biggest company in the US.
Jobs Available at UnitedHealth Group
- Marketing Director. A marketing director manages overall marketing endeavors for a company. They oversee that long-term marketing goals are met.
- Financial Analyst. Financial analysts go through analytical processes to suggest business solutions for a company’s financial health. They provide thorough reports and visual representations of an organization’s finances.
- Data Scientist. Data scientists are skilled in business analysis and data synthesis. They handle large amounts of data using various software.
Where to Find UnitedHealth Group Jobs
You can find UnitedHealth Group jobs in the careers section of its website. You just have to select your filters, then click the job search button. Online job listings are also available on Zippia or Glassdoor.
Cargill is a Wayzata, Minnesota-based corporation that provides product development of agricultural commodities and consumer goods. The food and beverage company was founded in 1865. In 2021, it recorded a revenue of $134.4 billion.
Jobs Available at Cargill
- Supply Chain Analyst. A supply chain analyst communicates with various parts of the supply chain to ensure seamless operations. They analyze manufacturing and lead times to apply creative solutions and best practices.
- Cyber Security Incident Response Analyst. This cyber security professional detects any breaches and attacks within an organization’s computer systems.
- Automation Engineer. An automation engineer creates solutions and uses technology to make business processes more streamlined and efficient.
Where to Find Cargill Jobs
To find Cargill jobs, you can visit the company’s career page on its website, where you can search for roles via keyword, location, or radius. You can also check Cargill job openings on Glassdoor or LinkedIn.
Medtronic is a company that creates biotechnology products. Its product development and business practice provide health care management facilities with state-of-the-art medical devices. This award-winning, industry-leading medical technology company has been named as one of the greatest places to work, by different award-giving bodies.
Jobs Available at Medtronic
- Software Engineer. A software engineer develops different software programs that aid business processes.
- Test Engineer. Test engineers analyze and evaluate software or product for quality control.
- Quality Systems Program Manager. Quality systems program managers ensure that an organization meets and maintains certain quality metrics.
Where to Find Medtronic Jobs
You can find Medtronic jobs on its website. When you do your search or apply filters on their page, you’ll notice that even though Medtronic is not a software company, they do have open positions for software engineers. You can also visit Indeed and Zippia to find Medtronic job listings.
5. Best Buy
Founded in 1966, Best Buy is an American multinational retailer company that specializes in a wide variety of consumer electronics. It’s headquartered in Richfield, Minnesota. With its amazing projects and initiatives to support sustainability, it ranked first in Barron’s 100 Most Sustainable Companies list.
Jobs Available at Best Buy
- Solutions Architect. A solutions architect creates a software system that provides efficiency in product development.
- Distribution Support Analyst. Distribution support analysts oversee the entire logistics process, from purchase and shipment to distribution.
- UI Software Engineer. A user interface or UI software engineer specializes in developing an intuitive user interface for smooth access.
Where to Find Best Buy Jobs
You can find open roles at the Best Buy jobs page on its official website. Indeed and Zippia also have listings, so you might want to browse through these sites.
3M is a multinational corporation that operates in health care management, oil and mining, and consumer goods. Currently, 3M has close to 95,000 employees. It was founded in 1902 and was originally called Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company.
Jobs Available at 3M
- Quality Engineer. Quality engineers create quality control metrics for products and services. They have a great understanding of product and business analysis.
- Research Engineer. Research engineers are responsible for conducting and assessing new projects. They test and record through research instruments and methods.
- Brand Designer. A brand designer creates various brand materials like logos, marketing paraphernalia, and brand colors. They help businesses by creating consistent themes for their marketing and advertising efforts.
Where to Find 3M Jobs
3M has a careers and employment page on its website. Simply click the apply to jobs button, and you’ll be redirected to 3M’s Workday listings. LinkedIn and Glassdoor are also popular online sites where you can find 3M jobs.
Lucas Corporation is a fabrication company that’s located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It’s a B2B corporation that provides steel materials and construction services. It has a staff of over 90,000 employees.
Jobs Available at Lucas
- Structural Steel Engineer. A structural steel engineer supervises a team of steel constructors. They also analyze the structural integrity of steel frameworks and foundations.
- Corporate Manager. Corporate managers handle a group or small team on a corporate level. They oversee projects and tasks to ensure that they’re properly executed.
- Associate Attorney. An associate attorney is a junior lawyer that assists in managing cases and clients.
Where to Find Lucas Jobs
Unlike other companies we’ve mentioned, Lucas Corporation’s website doesn’t have a dedicated careers page. You can try your luck as a job candidate by checking out their job openings on Zippia, LinkedIn, or Indeed.
8. Coustic-Glo International
Coustic-Glo International, or CGI, is one of the leading ceiling refurbishment companies. This company has more than 75,000 employees. It was founded in 1975 and is based in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Jobs Available at Coustic-Glo International
- Agile Tester. Agile testers employ Agile strategies to evaluate and streamline certain processes within a business or organization.
- AWS Solutions Architect. AWS solutions architects maintain the AWS framework and ensure that the system is functioning.
- Front-End Developer. Front-end developers establish a proper and seamless web page for a company’s users.
Where to Find Coustic-Glo International Jobs
You can find Coustic-Glo International jobs through their website. The company also posts its job listings on LinkedIn or Zippia, so feel free to browse through these sites.
9. U.S. Bank
U.S. Bank is a commercial banking services company located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It offers different financial products like savings accounts, credit cards, and home loans. This financial services company was founded in 1864.
Jobs Available at U.S. Bank
- UX Design Architect. A UX design architect is someone who provides a good user experience to a company’s users.
- Regulatory Compliance Analyst. A regulatory compliance analyst is someone that ensures that a company’s processes and systems are in-line with government regulations and policies.
- Backend Engineer. A backend engineer maintains and develops a company’s server and safeguards the website’s backend portion.
Where to Find U.S. Bank Jobs
You can find U.S. Bank jobs through the career page on its website. You can also check Zippia and Indeed for potential job listings in this financial institution.
10. Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic provides medical research and health care management. They have a campus in Rochester, Minnesota, where they train physicians, doctors, and scientists. This award-winning nonprofit healthcare institution recently placed fourth on Diversity Inc.’s list of Top Hospitals and Health Systems for Diversity.
Jobs Available at Mayo Clinic
- Business Analyst. Business analysts employ tests on processes then run them through several trials of business analysis to see if they are effective.
- IT Tech Specialist. IT tech specialists maintain and aid customers with any tech-related questions and concerns.
- IT Systems Engineer. IT systems engineers create server structures that serve as a baseline for a company’s software network.
Where to Find Mayo Clinic Jobs
Mayo Clinic jobs are found through the career page of its website. Online job search sites like Indeed and Zippia can also aid you in your Mayo Clinic job search.
Do Any Large Companies in Minnesota Hire Bootcamp Grads?
Yes, large companies in Minnesota hire bootcamp graduates. Software engineering and data analytics are examples of job openings that are available in these companies and are attainable through coding bootcamps.
There are also small to medium enterprises, like startup companies, that hire coding bootcamp graduates. You won’t run out of job options, as Minnesota is rich in culture, art, and business enterprise. Minnesota is a large state that’s home to a lot of people that foster a strong business community.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Largest Companies in Minnesota FAQ
Yes, it’s possible to get a job in any of the largest companies in Minnesota. Although the job market is highly competitive, you can land a job in one of these companies as long as you have the right skills and educational requirements.
Yes, some large companies offer remote work in Minnesota. However, this will be dependent on the nature of your job and the specific company you’re working for. Some roles like structural steel engineers require on-site working hours and may require you to travel or commute.
The types of information you need in your resume or CV include personal and contact information, work experience, educational accomplishments, and interests or hobbies. You may also need character references, depending on the company’s application requirements.
Yes, you can get a job in any of the largest companies in Minnesota, even without a degree. For example, if you want to land an IT support specialist job, some companies may only require you a coding bootcamp certification, rather than a bachelor’s degree.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.