While Wisconsin is particularly popular for its cheese and is one of the leading dairy producers in the United States, it has a lot of other employment opportunities to offer outside of the dairy industry.
The largest companies in Wisconsin cover a variety of industries, including retail, healthcare, and manufacturing. In this guide, we’ll look at the top 10 largest companies in Wisconsin, and what types of employees they hire. Read on to find out where you can look to find a job in Wisconsin.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
How We Defined the Largest Companies in Wisconsin
In this article, we defined the biggest companies in Wisconsin based on the number of employees each company has. These companies cover a wide range of industries and together they are major drivers of Wisconsin’s economy. You’ll see familiar names like the nationwide department store chain Kohl’s, as well as some large companies that manufacture niche products.
The Top 10 Largest Companies in Wisconsin
|Rank||Company||City||Number of Employees|
|1||Kohl’s Corp.||Menomonee Falls||110,000|
|3||Aurora Health Care||Milwaukee||75,000|
|6||Ashley Furniture Industries||Arcadia||35,000|
1. Kohl’s Corp.
Established in 1962, this American department store chain is the largest company in Wisconsin. It specializes in selling footwear, accessories, and apparel. This company also provides home products such as bedding and furniture. With headquarters in Wisconsin, Kohl’s Corp. operates 1,127 stores in 49 states and also offers online shopping.
In May 2012, Kohl’s Corp. became the biggest department store chain in the US. Since 1998, the company has been listed on the S&P 500. In 2019, it was the 23rd-biggest retailer in the US in terms of revenue. In terms of sales, it was ranked the second-biggest US department store company in 2013.
Jobs Available at Kohl’s Corp.
- Senior engineering technician: These technicians provide support to mechanical and electrical engineers. They also support in-house software testing and product development.
- Space planner: These professionals analyze and recommend space and fixture adjustments across several brands and categories. Their work drives sales and inventory turnover.
- Senior big data engineer: These engineers are responsible for providing data for optimized marketing and sales. They also provide a full picture of how the company’s media is performing by gathering data from external and internal sources.
Where to Find Kohl’s Corp. Jobs
Kohl’s corporate headquarters is located in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, and most technical roles at the company will be based there. You can also find the company’s job openings on multiple job boards, including Indeed.
2. Johnson Controls
This industrial company is focused on building efficiency and power solutions globally. It has more than 100,000 employees working at 2,000 locations. Founded in 1885, this American company produces innovative products like lead-acid batteries, absorbent glass mats, and lithium-ion batteries for hybrid vehicles. It also provides heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and security services.
Jobs Available at Johnson Controls
- Senior engineering technician: These technicians are responsible for executing top-level technical tasks. They also formulate work execution plans and document the daily work activities of their team.
- Systems engineering leader: The workers in these roles supervise software and hardware engineering for federal security projects. They also make sure that all work is being completed in accordance with state and federal requirements.
- Sales engineer: These employees prepare and deliver technical presentations on the basics of Johnson Controls’ products.
Where to Find Johnson Controls Jobs
If you want to apply for a job in person, Johnson Controls is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. You can also find job openings at the company on platforms like LinkedIn.
3. Aurora Health Care
Aurora Health Care is devoted to improving people’s lives by providing healthcare in 15 hospitals and hundreds of clinics in Wisconsin. Established in 1984, it employs over 75,000 people and brings in $12 billion in annual revenue.
Jobs Available at Aurora Health Care
- Registered nurse home health: These nurses provide home care to patients who can’t leave their houses. They must establish strong relationships with them to help improve patients’ health and livelihood.
- Registered nurse intensive care unit: These nurses create the best and safest possible environment for patients who require emergency care. They are compassionate and support patients as they transition out of hospital care.
- Registered nurse hospice: Hospice care nurses are responsible for providing end-of-life care to patients. They must be compassionate and caring as they make the patient comfortable.
Where to Find Aurora Health Care Jobs
You can visit Aurora Health Care’s headquarters or website to learn more about job opportunities. You can also visit job platforms, including Indeed, to find available jobs.
Menards is an American home improvement retail company located in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. It was founded in 1960 and has 335 stores and 12 distribution centers. It sells building materials, electrical supplies, and home appliances.
Jobs Available at Menards
- Cashier: Cashiers are responsible for taking care of customers at the cash register. They must provide exceptional, friendly customer service while processing different types of transactions.
- Manager trainee: Managers in training work under the supervision of their superiors. They must learn the ins and outs of the role so they can take on a managerial role later in a specific department.
- Maintenance technician: These technicians keep Menards’ industrial facilities operating by doing repairs and maintenance as problems arise.
Where to Find Menards Jobs
To get a job at Menards, you can visit the company’s careers website, or check out a platform like Indeed and ZipRecruiter.
5. Fiserv Inc.
This is a global organization that specializes in providing financial services, technology, and innovative solutions for online banking, risk management, and data analytics. Fiserv has over 13,000 clients and 44,000 employees in 80 countries.
Jobs Available at Fiserv Inc.
- Business continuity advisor: These advisors provide expertise for business methodology and best practices. They also develop and implement plans to mitigate a business’ risks.
- Customer service associate: Customer service associates take calls from merchant and banking customers, answer questions, and help resolve issues. To get this job, you must be a good listener and a strong communicator.
- Data reporting analyst: Data reporting analysts are in charge of creating and delivering financial reports. They also carry out data analysis, using tools like Excel and Tableau.
Where to Find Fiserv Inc. Jobs
You can find a job at Fiserv by inquiry at the company’s headquarters in Brookfield, Wisconsin or by checking any online job board.
6. Ashley Furniture Industries
This top furniture company was founded in 1997 and now has about 35,000 employees globally. It is the leading furniture company in North America, with annual revenue of $5.7 billion and 2,000 stores worldwide. Its goal is to improve its customers’ quality of life through furniture.
Jobs Available at Ashley Furniture Industries
- Sales associate: Sales associates assist customers during the buying process. They are responsible for greeting customers, helping them find products, and demonstrating how to use products.
- Store manager: Store managers develop strategies to expand the store’s customer base while optimizing profitability. They also ensure that sales goals are met.
- Maintenance technician: Maintenance technicians are responsible for repairs and upkeep of the facility. They must also find solutions to technical problems.
Where to Find Ashley Furniture Industries Jobs
Ashley Furniture Industries is located in Arcadia, Wisconsin. But if you don’t want to work in the corporate office, you can find more information about job openings online on the company’s website as well as on LinkedIn.
This is a multinational staffing firm that focuses on providing assessment and recruitment, development, career management, and workforce consulting. Its brands support 400,000 clients across 80 countries. It’s the third-largest staffing company in the world.
Jobs Available at ManpowerGroup
- Sales representative: Holders of this position are responsible for selling products and services of an organization while representing their brand. They also manage relationships with customers.
- System integration technician: These technicians adopt engineering blueprints to create electrical and plumbing subcomponents, as well as carry out interface plumbing and wiring.
- Desktop support specialist: These specialists provide desktop support while preparing statistical reports. They also handle information requests and perform clerical functions.
Where to Find ManpowerGroup Jobs
You can find ManpowerGroup jobs by visiting the company’s careers website or other popular job sites.
8. Oshkosh Corp.
Oshkosh is a manufacturer, designer, and marketer of a wide variety of specialty vehicles and specialized products like vehicle bodies. These include firetrucks and specialty military vehicles and mobile elevating work platforms. With nearly $7 billion in annual revenue, this company is a leader in the specialty truck industry.
Jobs Available at Oshkosh Corp.
- Category strategy manager: Besides leading strategic sourcing events, category strategy managers oversee the company’s global supply base relationship requirements. They also deliver exceptional customer support.
- Senior category specialist: These professionals analyze, gather, and manipulate data on trends in the company. This includes both internal and external data, which they use to monitor the supply chain.
- Administrative assistant: Administrative assistants support their store by conducting basic research, meeting with customers, preparing reports, handling requests for information, arranging calls, preparing travel schedules, and scheduling meetings.
Where to Find Oshkosh Corp. Jobs
Oshkosh Corporation is located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. If you’re interested in a job at the company, you can visit the company’s careers website.
With over 40,000 employees, this is one of Wisconsin’s top-rated private companies. It manufactures plumbing products, as well as furniture, engines, and more. It has partnered with organizations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, to work toward sustainable development objectives.
Jobs Available at Kohler
- System architects: They design, execute, and maintain computer programs and systems for the organization. They also solve technical problems.
- Data analytics and commercial manager: These employees help to transform data into information that can improve the company’s value.
- Senior staff engineer, materials engineering: These engineers are responsible for improving the materials that Kohler uses in its products, as well as making sure manufacturing facilities are efficient.
Where to Find Kohler Jobs
You can find Kohler jobs on Indeed and LinkedIn, as well as other popular job platforms.
This employee-owned wealth management and private equity firm focuses on providing a host of services to its clients, focusing on excellent financial advice. It’s a large financial company with more than 100 offices in the US, Europe, and Asia, and with annual revenue of $2.3 billion.
Jobs Available at Baird
- PWM surveillance compliance analyst: These analysts are responsible for effectively reviewing and analyzing exception reports and other data that are designed to identify any issues in investment advisory transactions. They then provide solutions to any questionable transactions.
- Portfolio analyst: Portfolio analysts carry out due diligence on third-party accounts. This might include a qualitative review of the individual’s investment management process and asset allocation.
- Temporary event coordinators: These coordinators assist planners and registration specialists by creating budgets and doing research for upcoming Baird events.
Where to Find Baird Jobs
You will find jobs at Baird by visiting any jobs page, such as Indeed and GlassDoor, or by visiting the company’s official LinkedIn page.
Do Any Large Companies in Wisconsin Hire Bootcamp Grads?
Yes, several large companies in Wisconsin hire bootcamp graduates. Online coding bootcamps teach in-demand programs in a concentrated, fast-paced curriculum. These programs give students the skills they need to succeed in technical roles at a variety of companies. Companies like Fiserv and Kohler, that hire data analysts, would likely be interested in hiring bootcamp graduates.
Largest Companies in Wisconsin FAQ
Wisconsin is famous for producing cheese, cranberries, and milk. Besides these products, it’s also pretty famous for industrial companies such as truck maker Oshkosh Corp.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Yes, you can earn high wages at the best companies in Wisconsin. For instance, employees at Oshkosh companies have an average salary of $58,000, with top earners bringing in more than $100,000.
You don’t necessarily need any experience to work at a top Wisconsin company. Some of the roles listed in the samples above are entry-level. The company will likely have education requirements that you should meet, such as a relevant degree. Then, they will provide you with plenty of additional on-the-job training.
Yes, you can secure employment opportunities at Wisconsin companies by looking at job boards. MilwaukeeJobs.com and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel newspaper are good places to start.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.