Digital education and distance learning are among the top new trends in higher education for the future. In this University of the People review, we cover all you need to know about one of the most reputable online schools in the United States, including information on the University of the People’s accreditation status and available scholarship options.
In addition, we also discuss important information such as the University of the People’s ranking, its available programs, and possible jobs available to graduates from this institution. Finally, we break down the University of the People’s costs, including its assessment fees and other essential expenses.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
All About University of the People
The University of the People is a well-known private distance learning institution. This online university has gained increased popularity since it was established in 2009 and currently has a student population exceeding 43,700. It has a diverse student body consisting of people from over 200 countries.
The University of the People is a leading destination for individuals seeking to receive top-quality education without relocating to live on a school campus. It provides several associate degrees, bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and certificate programs in business administration, health sciences, information technology, education, and computer science.
Where Is University of the People Located?
The University of the People headquarters is located in Pasadena, California. It is a fully online school and doesn’t have a campus. Students pursuing their graduate or undergraduate degree at this educational institution can complete their coursework and fulfill their graduation requirements from anywhere.
Is University of the People Accredited?
Yes, the University of the People is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission and the WASC Senior College and University Commission. The University of the People students can rest assured that they will graduate with a recognized degree from a credible university that can enable them to secure jobs in the most prestigious organizations.
Is University of the People Legit?
Yes, the University of the People is legit. It is an affordable, accredited university that provides a wide range of degree programs via a flexible online learning method. The University of the People also has well-established partnerships with notable global organizations, including UNESCO, UNHCR, and the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network.
The University of the People also has academic partnerships with Effat University, Harvard Business School, University of Edinburgh, New York University, and McGill University to enable their students to learn from the most prestigious global schools.
University of the People Student Reviews
Based on reviews on Indeed and Rate My Professors, the University of the People is generally appreciated for its affordability and the flexibility of its undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The University of the People is also praised for the quality of education it provides and its highly-skilled lecturers.
However, one of the biggest drawbacks of this university appears to be its grading system, which relies heavily on peer assessments. Several students also raised concerns on issues of plagiarism.
University of the People Better Business Bureau Reviews and Complaints
University of the People’s Better Business Bureau review page currently has 28 complaints. Most of these complaints are from students requesting refunds or individuals seeking clarification on the school’s credit transfer process.
University of the People Rankings
University of the People is generally regarded as one of the top schools for earning an online degree in the United States. According to the StuDoc World University Ranking 2020, the University of the People is one of the 10 best universities in the United States and Canada.
University of the People US News & World Report Ranking
University of the People is not listed in the US News & World Report Ranking.
University of the People Times Higher Education Ranking
University of the People is not listed in the Times Higher Education Ranking.
University of the People Graduation Rate
According to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), the University of the People has a graduation rate of 23 percent. This graduation rate is considered low as it means that only about two out of every 10 students enrolled at the University of the People complete their degree or certificate programs.
University of the People Admissions
The University of the People simplifies its admissions process by connecting prospective students with a personal advisor to walk them through the necessary enrollment steps. In completing your application, you will need to provide your basic information and educational history and pay a non-refundable $60 application fee.
For prospective undergraduate students who cannot offer credible evidence that they have obtained a high school education or its equivalent, the University of the People provides an alternative called the Wonderlic Basic Skills Test (WBST). Also, if you are a non-native English-speaking applicant, you will also need to provide proof of English proficiency.
University of the People Acceptance Rate
According to the NCES, the University of the People has an open admissions policy. All students who submit an application for admission to any of the undergraduate or graduate programs at this university will be admitted, provided they can provide all the requirements stipulated by the school’s admission office.
Will You Get Into University of the People?
Yes, you will get into the University of the People because it has a 100 percent acceptance rate. The University of the People’s open admissions policy and straightforward admissions process means that you can easily get admitted into this institution as long as you can provide all the required documents and pay the application fee.
How to Apply to University of the People
- Complete the online application form. Filling out the online form is the first step in the application process for admission into any of the programs at the University of the People. During this step, you will need to provide your basic information and educational history.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee. The University of the People charges a non-refundable $60 application fee to students seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree. You must pay this fee for your application to be considered by the school.
- State any transferable credits. If you have any transferable credits from a previous program or degree, you can state this during the application process to enable the University of the People to determine how many credit hours are required for your chosen program.
- Apply for scholarships. The University of the People offers various scholarships to students needing financial aid. Usually, these scholarships cover a stipulated number of assessment fees for the duration of your program.
- Submit your application. After providing all the required information and applying for financial aid if necessary, you can proceed to insert your digital signature and submit your application.
University of the People Cost
|Expense||University of the People Cost|
|University of the People Undergraduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$1,200|
|University of the People Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||Same as in-state|
|University of the People Graduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$2,400|
|University of the People Graduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||Same as in-state|
|University of the People Books and Supplies||N/A|
|University of the People On-Campus Room and Board||N/A|
|University of the People Off-Campus Room and Board||$2,001|
The University of the People is one of the most affordable institutions for college students because it doesn’t demand money from students for tuition. Also, students in this university don’t need to pay for their courses, books, and on-campus accommodation. The only fees required at the University of the People are the admission application and course assessment fees.
This means that students can earn an accredited degree from this top-rated American university without spending extra money on courses taken. Also, students with prior educational experience who wish to continue their professional development at the University of the People can do so via a credit-hour transfer from their previous institution. However, they will need to pay $17 per credit.
Cost of Living in Pasadena, California
Pasadena, California, is an expensive city. According to PayScale, the cost of living in Pasadena is 66 percent higher than the national average. The primary reason for this is the cost of accommodation which is about 186 percent higher than the average housing cost in the United States.
Pasadena is a great city with several thriving financial services and technology companies, making it an excellent location for students interested in pursuing a career in these areas. However, due to the University of the People’s distance learning format, anyone can still obtain a degree from this school without relocating to Pasadena, California.
University of the People Financial Aid
The University of the People offers financial aid in the form of scholarships to eligible students. However, its students cannot receive student loans or federal funding aid and are not required to fill out the FAFSA form during their application process. Presently, 1,934 undergraduates at this university are receiving scholarships totaling about $1,805,670, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
University of the People Scholarships
- Algorand Foundation Scholarship. Students at the University of the People who are part of an underrepresented minority or come from developing countries are eligible to receive this scholarship.
- Fondation Hoffman Scholarship. This scholarship is awarded to students pursuing an associate degree at the University of the People. Awardees will receive funding to cover 10 assessment fees during their program.
- Henry Schein Scholarship Fund. The Henry Schein Scholarship Fund covers 10 assessment fees for students enrolled in a health science associate degree program at the University of the People.
- Simone Biles Legacy Scholarship Fund. This scholarship enables students interested in obtaining their degrees from the University of the People to pay their assessment fees. It gives a preference to students who have been in foster care.
- HP Women’s Scholarship Fund. The HP Women Scholarship fund is a two-year scholarship offered to women pursuing any of the associate degree programs at the University of the People.
University of the People Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
The University of the People boasts favorable graduate salaries and outcomes. Several graduates from this institution have gotten jobs at reputable companies such as Dell, Deloitte, Amazon, Apple, and AT&T. Also, 71 percent of University of the People Students are employed full-time, according to a survey carried out by the school.
University of the People Notable Alumni
The University of the People provides a well-rounded educational experience to enable its students to progress and take up roles in various industries. Its flexible curriculum is perfect for individuals who want to create a great work-life balance. One notable alumnus of the University of the People is Simone Biles, the American gymnast who has won seven Olympic medals.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
University of the People Campus Life
Students at the University of the People do not live on campus as the school only offers online degrees. However, the University of the People also creates opportunities for students to interact. It employs various creative learning tools and discussion forums to ensure that its students experience a top-class academic environment regardless of their location.
The University of the People has 12 communities located in Accra, Benghazi, Freetown, Durban, Hong Kong, Harare, Lagos, Northern Virginia, Riyadh, Shanghai, Ouagadougou, and Yaounde. These communities serve as a platform for students attending the University of the People to meet in person and share their experiences.
University of the People Academics
The University of the People offers associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees in an online learning format. It provides three graduate degrees in education, business administration, and computer science. It also has undergraduate majors in business administration, computer science, and health science.
University of the People currently has more than 34,000 undergraduate and 9,600 graduate students. Students enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program at the University of the People are expected to complete up to 40 courses to meet their graduation requirements.
University of the People Colleges and Departments
|School or Department Name||Available Program Examples|
|Department of Business Administration||Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Master of Science in Business Administration|
|Department of Computer Science||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Master of Science in Computer Science|
|Department of Education||Master of Education|
|Department of Health Science||Associate of Science in Health Science, Bachelor of Science in Health Science|
University of the People Faculty
The University of the People has a large and diverse faculty with several years of experience in industry and academia. Some of its well-recognized faculty members include Dr. Marie Cini, Dr. Roxie Smith, Dr. David Harris Cohen, and Dr. Shawn Moustafa.
According to reviews on Rate My Professors, most students at the University of the People are satisfied with the quality of education at this institution. Another common positive highlighted by most students is the attention to detail displayed by their professors and other faculty members.
Popular University of the People Majors
The University of the People offers majors in in-demand subjects to enable its students to access job opportunities at the best companies. Below we provide a list of University of the People majors and the best jobs available to people with these degrees.
University of the People Master of Science in Business Administration
The one-year Master of Science in Business Administration at the University of the People is designed for individuals looking to take up executive or management positions at top-level companies. It covers essential business concepts, including finance and marketing management, organizational theory and behavior, and strategic decision-making.
University of the People Master of Science in Business Administration Jobs
- Financial Manager. Financial managers help their companies efficiently manage their financial resources. Their job description includes drafting budgets, analyzing expenditures, and preparing financial statements. Financial managers earn $131,710 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
- Fundraising Manager. Fundraising managers are typically employed by non-governmental organizations to handle the process of raising and managing financial resources for projects. They work with a team to develop effective fundraising strategies and sometimes draft applications for grants.
- Chief Executive Officer. Chief executive officers are management professionals tasked with ensuring that their organization meets its stipulated targets. According to BLS, the job outlook for chief executive officers is expected to increase by eight percent between 2020 and 2030.
University of the People Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
The 120-credit BS in Computer Science major at the University of the People is designed to produce skilled computer professionals who can use their computer architecture knowledge to build real-world solutions.
Students enrolled in this course will learn concepts such as programming, software engineering, and data structures to enable them to pursue diverse computer science career paths.
University of the People Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Jobs
- Software Developer. Software developers build applications to solve complex real-world problems. Software developers typically work at tech companies and are very well-paid. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, software developers receive $110,140 per year.
- Information Security Analyst. Information security analysts manage the security aspects of their company’s digital infrastructure. They are responsible for conducting routine checks and making necessary updates to ensure that their organization’s systems remain uncompromised.
- Computer Network Architects. Computer network architects are commonly found in telecommunications companies or software startups. Among their many job roles, they are expected to analyze the needs of their organization and build an efficient data communication network. Sometimes, they also work with cloud infrastructure.
University of the People Bachelor of Science in Health Science
The Bachelor’s Degree in Health Science program at the University of the People prepares students to perform various roles in a clinical or healthcare setting. Its curriculum covers human anatomy and physiology, infectious diseases, sociology, nutrition, and biostatistics. Graduates from this program will also learn other essential topics such as psychology and sociology.
University of the People Bachelor of Science in Health Science Jobs
- Cardiovascular Technologist. Cardiovascular technologists work in clinical settings. They perform tests to diagnose cardiovascular diseases. Usually, they work with medical imaging devices and apply their knowledge of health science to provide correct assessments of a patient’s heart condition.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant. These clinical professionals help patients to navigate their recovery and rehabilitation process, observe their patients’ progress, and make regularly scheduled reports to an occupational therapist.
- Health Information Technician. Health information technicians are responsible for handling all the patient data in a clinic or outpatient facility. They organize, store, and regularly update patient information when necessary. Health information technicians have experience working with databases and hospital management systems.
University of the People Master of Education
University of the People offers a graduate program for individuals interested in becoming teachers or educational administrators. This degree has two specialization tracks in advanced teaching at elementary and middle school and advanced teaching at the secondary level. It also provides an internship option for students in Africa, China, South Asia, and the Middle East.
University of the People Master of Education Jobs
- Middle School Teacher. Middle school teachers instruct children in grades six to eight on different subjects. They are responsible for preparing their lecture materials and teaching aides and grading students based on their performance. Middle school teachers also have individual sessions with students when necessary.
- Postsecondary Administrator. Postsecondary administrators are responsible for ensuring the smooth day-to-day running of their institution. They monitor their school’s admissions process to ensure that only the brightest applicants are selected. They also promote policies to improve the quality of their school’s academic offerings.
- Instructional Coordinator. Instructional coordinators determine the direction of educational programs. They create the curriculum used at schools and design training programs for teachers to develop their skills. Instructional coordinators also hold regular meetings with teachers to assess and improve the learning experience at their schools.
Is the University of the People Worth It?
Yes, the University of the People is worth it because it is an affordable university to get a top-class degree. Its highly skilled faculty and diverse student body afford admitted students the liberty to enjoy a rich learning experience. The University of the People’s flexible learning style allows you to cover all required course content at your desired pace.
University of the People Review FAQ
There is no minimum GPA requirement for the University of the People. University of the People believes in providing access to education to students regardless of their prior experience. Therefore it accepts all applicants with a high school education or its equivalent.
The assessment fee per course for undergraduate and graduate students is $120 and $300, respectively. Assessment fees represent the bulk of student expenses for individuals who choose to attend the University of the People.
Yes, you can transfer your credits from the University of the People to another school. However, it depends on the school’s admissions department. While some schools will accept your request to transfer credits obtained at the University of the People, others may not.
Yes, you can earn an accelerated bachelor’s degree at the University of the People. Students who maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 will be allowed to take 43-credits in each 10-week-long term. By following this schedule, students can earn their bachelor’s degree in as little as two years.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.