The trend of getting an online education has become increasingly more popular around the world. Many students opt for affordable online colleges to continue their education after a high school diploma or GED. If you are a student in Mississippi, there are some really good options for accredited online colleges in Mississippi.
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 24.9 percent of students were enrolled in exclusively online learning programs in Mississippi, which is higher than the 15.4 percent in 2019. Due to the increasing trend of distance learning programs, the best online colleges in Mississippi have been offering more online learning programs. Keep reading for a list of the best virtual schools in Mississippi.
Fully Accredited Online Colleges in Mississippi: Two Types of Accreditation
The two types of accreditation awarded to virtual schools in Mississippi are regional and national accreditation. Knowing the difference between both types of accreditation is important when transferring to a university program or seeking admission to a university.
Regionally Accredited Online Colleges
Regionally accredited online colleges are the virtual colleges accredited by regionally accrediting agencies. These agencies evaluate and award accreditation to public and nonprofit private schools, colleges, and universities that fulfill the education quality standards. Regionally accredited online colleges are widely accepted.
Regional accrediting organizations focus on the academic and educational standards of higher education institutions in the US. Accredited colleges provide ease to students when transferring to other schools and recognition of the credits earned in a program.
Nationally Accredited Online Colleges
Nationally accredited online colleges are evaluated and accredited by national accrediting agencies. National accreditation agencies usually compare and evaluate for-profit private colleges all across the country. They focus on schools with a specific interest area, such as vocational or career schools, industrial certifications, and religious institutions.
Nationally accredited online colleges are only accepted by other nationally accredited institutions. They offer comparatively more relaxed admission standards than regionally accredited schools but make you eligible for corporate tuition reimbursement programs.
Why Is Accreditation Important for College?
Accreditation is important for colleges because it ensures that the college meets the minimum quality standards set by the regional accrediting agency. These standards are defined by agency experts, who determine the quality of education you might get at an institution. Some higher educational institutions and career positions require degrees from an accredited college.
How to Find an Accredited Online College in Mississippi
You can find out whether an online college in Mississippi is accredited by checking authoritative and credible websites and databases. The authoritative sources to check the accreditation of online colleges in Mississippi are below, along with directions on how to access them. You can use any of the methods discussed to find an accredited online college in Mississippi.
Check the US Department of Education’s Database
The US Department of Education offers a comprehensive database of accredited postsecondary institutions and programs. It contains all key accreditation information about institutions in the US. In the search bar on the home page, enter the name of your desired online college, and the database will show you the results.
You can also do an advanced search by using the advanced search button beside the search bar. For this type of search, you will have to enter a creditor’s name along with other required information to get detailed results.
Search for Colleges on the Regional Accrediting Agency’s Website
The accrediting agency for colleges in Mississippi is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission of Colleges. You can search for an accredited online college on the official website of SACSCOC.
To look up accredited online colleges on their website, open the institutions’ tab to access the databases. There you can search for your colleges in your state using a customized search function and get complete details on the schools.
Visit the School’s Official Website
Visiting a school’s official website is a straightforward method to check whether an online college is accredited. Schools will typically mention their accreditation status somewhere on their website. Accreditation may be located on the main page, in the tabs, or on the About Us page.
Top 10 Accredited Online Colleges in Mississippi: Overview
|Ranking||Online College||Accreditation||Graduation Rate|
|1||University of Mississippi||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (regional)||63%|
|2||Mississippi University for Women||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (regional)||62%|
|3||Mississippi State University||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (regional)||60%|
|4||Blue Mountain College||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (regional)||53%|
|5||Mississippi College||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (regional)||52%|
|6||University of Southern Mississippi||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (regional)||50%|
|7||William Carey University||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (regional)||47%|
|8||Belhaven University||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (regional)||45%|
|9||Jackson State University||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (regional)||45%|
|10||Delta State University||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (regional)||41%|
How We Ranked the Best Accredited Online Colleges in Mississippi
We ranked the best accredited online colleges in Mississippi by looking at the graduation rates of various institutions that offer fully online degree programs. The information in the table above comes from the schools’ official websites, the US Department of Education’s database of accredited schools, and the US Department of Education’s College Scorecard tool.
Best Accredited Online Colleges in Mississippi: Deep Dive
The best accredited online colleges in Mississippi offer a variety of degree and certificate programs in various fields. You can choose the college that aligns with your learning needs and educational interests. Below are some of the key details of the best accredited online colleges in Mississippi.
What Is the Easiest Online College That Is Accredited in Mississippi?
The easiest online college in Mississippi that is accredited is the University of Mississippi. It offers several resources to students to facilitate online learning. These resources include University of Mississippi library access, career center, and disabilities service. The technical requirements are also quite reasonable with no extraordinary requirements.
You can enroll yourself in programs such as a Master of Arts in Teaching or a Master of Education in Early Childhood Education to get an online degree with ease. The university has a high graduation rate of about 63 percent which indicates that the majority of students graduate on time from this online college.
What Is the Cheapest Accredited Online College in Mississippi?
The cheapest accredited online college in Mississippi is Jackson State University. The tuition fee charged by the college for an online undergraduate degree is only $366/credit hour and $462/credit hour for a graduate degree. The average cost of books and supplies is estimated at $1,400, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
Are There Free Accredited Online Colleges in Mississippi?
No, there are no free accredited online colleges in Mississippi. Students interested in studying for free can enroll in non-credit courses. Many public and private institutions offer free online courses in various fields of study, but they do not lead to a degree.
For students interested in degree programs, financial aid, grants, and awards can help cover the cost of tuition and attendance. There are also other free options such as MIT OpenCourseWare which offer free online training through video lectures delivered by professional instructors.
Why Choose an Accredited Online College in Mississippi?
You should choose an accredited online college in Mississippi because of affordability, variety of degree options, and respectability. All these reasons make learning in an accredited online college in Mississippi a worthy option for students. Below, we explore these benefits more closely.
The tuition cost of programs offered at online colleges in Mississippi are cheaper than many colleges in the United States. It offers more affordable learning options to in-state and international students including scholarships, tuition discounts, and financial aid opinions.
Variety of Degree Options
You can find a variety of degree options in online colleges in Mississippi ranging from an associate degree to a doctorate. These degrees are offered in a wide array of subjects including science, technology, and business. You can find a degree program according to your learning goals and get a degree online.
Online colleges in Mississippi are regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges. This makes them recognized and respected by all other regionally and nationally accredited educational institutions. A degree from an accredited online college helps you continue your education and advance in your career.
Most Affordable Accredited Online Colleges in Mississippi
Some of the most affordable accredited online colleges in Mississippi that offer programs at a lower tuition fee are Jackson State University, Mississippi State University, and Belhaven University. Other great options are William Carey University and Blue Mountain College.
- Jackson State University | Tuition: $366/Credit. Jackson State University offers affordable tuition rates for online degree programs. The per-credit tuition fee is the same for all students with no hidden charges. It is the most affordable accredited online college in Mississippi.
- Mississippi State University | Tuition: $385/Credit. Mississippi State University charges $385 per credit for all semesters except the summer semester. In addition to tuition students also have to pay a $25 instructional support fee each semester.
- Belhaven University | Tuition: $425/Credit. Belhaven University is one of the most affordable universities on the list. It charges a technology and resource fee of $28 per hour for the online resources provided to students during online learning. You can get financial aid to further reduce the cost.
- William Carey University | Tuition: $450/Credit. William Carey University offers affordable tuition rates for all students enrolled at the university. It also accepts financial aid to assist in covering the cost. Students enrolled in a nursing program have to pay $480 per credit.
- Blue Mountain College | Tuition: $528/Credit. The college offers three online learning programs at an affordable per-credit rate. Students are also required to pay $20 per course as an online video proctoring fee.
Best Online Accredited Colleges in Mississippi That Accept Financial Aid
The majority of affordable accredited colleges in Mississippi accept financial aid to facilitate students paying for their education. There are different types of common financial aid options available at online accredited colleges. The following are the best online accredited colleges in Mississippi that accept different types of financial aid.
- Mississippi College | Tuition: $9,828/Semester. Mississippi College accepts federal and private scholarships, grants, and student loan programs. The financial aid office assists students in finding financial aid programs that are available to them. One hundred percent of the students manage to get financial aid at Mississippi College.
- Jackson State University | Tuition: $366/Credit. Jackson State University has the second-highest number of students receiving financial aid with 99 percent. It accepts federal, private, institutional, and state financial aid programs. You must fill out FAFSA to get available federal aid at the college.
- Blue Mountain College | Tuition: $528/Credit. Blue Mountain College accepts a wide range of federal, state, and institutional scholarships, grants, student loans, and work-study programs. Around 99 percent of its students succeed to get financial aid during their degree program.
- Mississippi State University | Tuition: $385/Credit. Mississippi State University offers federal and institutional grants, scholarships, work-study, and student loan programs. Around 98 percent of its students are receiving financial aid at bachelor’s and master’s levels.
- William Carey University | Tuition: $450/Credit. At William Carey University, 97 percent of students are receiving financial aid through federal and state grants, loans, scholarships, and work-study programs.
Best Online Schools in Mississippi by Popular Subjects
If you are looking to study at one of the best online schools in Mississippi, we have prepared a list of the top-ranking online schools and the most popular subjects being studied. Below you will find a breakdown of each to help you make an informed choice.
Best Accredited Online Colleges With Associate Degree Programs in Mississippi
Many accredited online colleges in Mississippi offer associate degree programs in various fields of study. These associate programs help students develop foundational knowledge and skills in their desired subject. Following are the best accredited online colleges with associate degree programs in Mississippi.
- Belhaven University | Associate of Arts in Biblical Studies. Belhaven University allows students to complete a 62-credit online Associate Degree in Biblical Studies at their own pace. The degree comprises seven weeks of coursework that can be completed online at an affordable tuition fee.
- Copiah-Lincoln Community College | Associate in Psychology. Copiah-Lincoln Community College offers 33 online associate degree programs in various fields. The Associate Degree in Psychology consists of four semesters of comprehensive subject study.
- Itawamba Community College | Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice. The fully online associate degree offered by Itawamba Community College in criminal justice deals with areas such as traffic law, criminal investigation, and community policing. It opens doors for entry-level positions in law enforcement agencies.
- Coahoma Community College | Associate of Applied Science in Nursing. Coahoma Community College offers a comprehensive study program in nursing through its online associate degree. This degree paves the way to pursue a career as a professional licensed nurse.
- East Mississippi Community College | Associate of Arts in History. The East Mississippi Community College offers online associate degrees that can be transferred to a four-year degree program. It offers degrees in social science, arts and humanities, math, business, and science.
Best Online Associate Degrees
Best Accredited Online Colleges With Bachelor’s Degree Programs in Mississippi
Many accredited online colleges offer comprehensive bachelor’s degree programs in Mississippi. These programs allow students to complete their four-year undergraduate degree with a flexible and convenient study schedule. Below are some of the best accredited online colleges with bachelor’s degree programs in Mississippi.
- Mississippi University for Women | Bachelor of Applied Science in Public Health Education. One of the top-ranking online colleges, Mississippi University for Women, offers 12 undergraduate and two graduate programs to be completed entirely online. It also offers some hybrid degree and certificate programs.
- Mississippi State University | Bachelor of Science in Educational Psychology. The online bachelor’s degree allows students to transfer their credits from a community college. The university offers admissions every semester so that students can begin learning at any time and complete an online degree with ease.
- Mississippi College | Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. Mississippi College ranks among the top five accredited online colleges in Mississippi on our list. It offers six bachelor’s degree programs in science, business, and social science with online courses.
- University of Southern Mississippi | Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy. The University of Southern Mississippi awards a long list of online bachelor’s degrees in various academic disciplines. The academic programs can be completed entirely online with affordable tuition and financial aid options available.
- William Carey University | Bachelors of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies. William Carey University offers a wide range of bachelor’s degree study programs in the fields of education, business, health science, and nursing. Distance learners can benefit from flexible schedules and dedicated faculty.
Best Online Bachelor’s Degrees
Best Accredited Online Colleges With Master’s Degree Programs in Mississippi
Many accredited online colleges in Mississippi offer online master’s degree programs in a variety of areas of study. The most famous fields include business, education, health, and science. Below is the list of the top five online colleges in Mississippi with master’s degree programs.
- University of Mississippi | Master of Arts in Teaching. The University of Mississippi offers some of the best online master’s degree programs in education, business, applied science, law, and journalism. Its MAT program is ranked among the best online programs in education by the US News & World Report.
- Mississippi University for Women | Master of Business Administration. Mississippi University for Women is a top-ranking co-education institution. It offers fully online and hybrid master’s degree programs in areas including business, health, and education.
- Mississippi State University | Master of Science in Information Systems. You can get an affordable and flexible master’s degree from Mississippi State University. The study program focuses on a career viewpoint and helps students prepare for the job market after completing the master’s program.
- Mississippi College | Master of Science in Communication-Strategic Communication. Mississippi College offers a variety of master’s level degrees. Some of the areas include regular and accelerated programs in business, social science, education, and nursing.
- University of Southern Mississippi | Master of Human Capital Development. The University of Southern Mississippi is well known for offering quality online education through its online graduate programs. The diverse programs allow students to build their knowledge and skills in a field of their interest.
Best Online Master’s Degrees
Why You Should Attend an Accredited Online College in Mississippi
You should attend an accredited online college in Mississippi because it offers a wide array of learning options for students, professionals, and career-oriented individuals. You can get the best online degree for your career at a lower than average tuition cost.
Whether you are a resident of the state or an international student, accredited online colleges in Mississippi have you covered with a growing selection of widely accepted online certificate and degree programs.
Accredited Online Colleges in Mississippi FAQ
Yes, online colleges are better than traditional colleges if you are looking for flexibility, affordability, and convenience. You can complete your higher education remotely while studying with the same faculty as on-campus classes.
You can pay for your online college in Mississippi by completing your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It can help you find federal financial aid options available for you. You can also opt for state or private scholarships, work-study programs, and student loans to pay for your online college in Mississippi.
Yes, online degrees are recognized and respected by employers. If you get an online degree from an accredited college, it will be widely accepted by other educational institutions as well as employers and help you achieve your learning and career goals.
Yes, online degrees are worth it. They help you get higher education remotely, with added convenience, flexibility, and usually lower cost. If your degree is from an accredited online college, you can have viable transfer options in top educational institutions and career opportunities in the market.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.