When it comes to accredited online colleges in Utah, there are many great options available for prospective students. It’s important to do your research before enrolling in an online degree and choosing the right online school in Utah can be a daunting task.
If you’re looking for the best online colleges in Utah, we’ve put together a list of the best accredited online colleges. These virtual schools in Utah offer great programs that can help you further your education and career.
Fully Accredited Online Colleges in Utah: Two Types of Accreditations
There are two types of accreditations that online colleges can receive, national and regional. National accreditation is given to schools by agencies that are recognized by the US Department of Education. Regional accreditation is given to schools by six different agencies that are each recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
Regionally Accredited Online Colleges
Regional accreditation is rather typical among public institutions and non-profit private institutions. Online schools and institutions that are regionally accredited have a higher quality education.
Students who attend regionally accredited online colleges have a wider range of options for transferring to another accredited institution. Furthermore, students of regionally accredited institutions have greater financial aid possibilities.
Nationally Accredited Online Colleges
Most national accreditation is found in vocational colleges, trade schools, online colleges, and for-profit institutions of education. The quality standards set by national accreditation are not as strict as regional accreditation.
Students who enroll in nationally certified online colleges primarily seek job skills or undertake less intensive coursework. Nationally accredited institutions have a simple admission procedure and reduced tuition costs but have limited ability to transfer credits.
Why Is Accreditation Important for College?
Accreditation is important for college because it ensures that the institution, you’re considering is legitimate and meets certain standards. This gives students the assurance that they will receive a quality education. It also provides students with transfer credits that can be used between colleges or put towards another degree program at a higher education level.
How to Find an Accredited Online College in Utah
You can find out whether an online college in Utah is accredited by visiting the US Department of Education’s website or the regional accrediting agency’s website. Most of the schools also mention their accreditation status and the name of the accreditation agency on their official website.
Check the US Department of Education’s Database
To search for accreditation for any online college, go to the US Department of Education website. In the search box, type in the name of the college you’re interested in and press enter. The search results will show a list of colleges. Click on your desired college name from the list and it will show the name of the accreditation agency.
Search for Colleges on the Regional Accrediting Agency’s Website
Schools and colleges in Utah are accredited by Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). To search whether an online college is accredited, go to the NWCCU official website and click on the search institutions tab.
On the next directory page, select your state and type of college from the filters. If your college is accredited it will show up on the list. You may also do a quick search by putting the name of your college into the search bar at the top of the page.
Visit the School’s Official Website
Accreditation information is typically listed on the main page of a school’s website. It may also be located on the about us page or under a section called college accreditation. If you cannot find the information on the website, you can contact the school’s admissions office and ask about their accreditation status.
Top 10 Accredited Online Colleges in Utah: Overview
|Ranking||Online College||Accreditation||Graduation Rate|
|1||University of Utah||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (regional)||70%|
|2||Utah State University||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (regional)||54%|
|3||Western Governors University||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (regional)||54%|
|4||Southern Utah University||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (regional)||53%|
|5||Snow College||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (regional)||45%|
|6||Weber State University||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (regional)||42%|
|7||Dixie State University||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (regional)||40%|
|8||Utah Valley University||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (regional)||38%|
|9||Columbia College – Salt Lake City Campus||Higher Learning Commission (regional)||32%|
|10||Salt Lake Community College||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (regional)||22%|
How We Ranked the Best Accredited Online Colleges in Utah
We ranked the best accredited online colleges in Utah by looking at the graduation rates of various institutions that offer fully online degree programs. The information in the table above comes from the schools’ official websites, the US Department of Education’s database of accredited schools, and the US Department of Education’s College Scorecard tool.
Best Accredited Online Colleges in Utah: Deep Dive
Some of the best accredited online colleges in Utah are listed in the table above. Below we will discuss the details of each college including the student-to-faculty ratio, online enrollment information, and online degrees and certificates offered. We have also included the average salary that a student makes after graduation.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
What Is the Easiest Online College That Is Accredited in Utah?
The easiest online college in Utah is the University of Utah. The admissions requirements are relatively simple, and the tuition is very affordable. Its graduation rate is among the highest in Utah at 70 percent. It is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
What Is the Cheapest Accredited Online College in Utah?
The cheapest accredited online community college for students is Snow College with a $548 per credit rate for in-state students. All online students regardless of whether they reside in-state or out of state can benefit from an affordable education at the same cost.
Students completing technical education courses will need to pay an additional $2 tuition per contact hour along with a $0.25 per hour fee. Online students are not required to pay any additional fees related to campus activities.
Are There Free Accredited Online Colleges in Utah?
No, there are no free accredited online colleges in Utah. Accreditation is a voluntary process and online colleges have to meet certain standards in order to be accredited. To meet the standards, online colleges have to spend a lot of money to provide quality education. Therefore, an online college can’t be completely free.
However, there are numerous financial aid opportunities available like scholarships, loans, and grants that significantly lower the cost of education. Fully funded scholarships cover tuition fees, book costs, and a monthly stipend. You may visit the scholarship section of the college website or contact the scholarship office to get detailed information about the available options.
Why Choose an Accredited Online College in Utah?
You should choose an accredited online college in Utah if you have a busy schedule and can’t attend an on-campus program. Online school has flexible schedules and various federal financial aid options. Furthermore, college credits earned at an accredited institution are more likely to be accepted by another college if you decide to transfer.
The biggest advantage of online education is its flexibility. Nontraditional students can study at their own pace with no set class times, and have access to the course material anytime, anywhere. This type of learning is perfect for working adults who want to continue their education but cannot attend an on-campus college due to work or family commitments.
Another advantage of online school is convenience. You don’t have to commute to campus, and learning becomes possible anywhere. You can also choose an online college that is located in another state. This is especially beneficial for out-of-state students who want to attend a college in Utah but don’t have the means to relocate.
Online colleges are generally more affordable than traditional colleges. This is because online education has lower overhead costs. Additionally, you can save money on transportation and other expenses such as books and library fees because resources for distance learners are online. Moreover, many online colleges offer tuition discounts for out-of-state students.
Most Affordable Accredited Online Colleges in Utah
Most affordable accredited online colleges in Utah are Snow College, Salt Lake Community College, Dixie State University, Utah Valley University, and Weber State University. The tuition fee mentioned for each college below is for in-state students.
- Dixie State University | Tuition: $255/Credit. Among four-year universities, DSU is the cheapest. Associate of Science in Management, Bachelor of Science in Health Communication, and Bachelor of Science in Digital Design are some of the best programs offered by DSU.
- Salt Lake Community College | Tuition: $312.25/Credit. Another affordable college on the list is Salt Lake Community College. Some of the best online programs it offers are Associate of Applied Science in Energy Management, Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice, and Associate of Science in Business.
- Snow College | Tuition: $548/Credit. Snow College has one of the lowest tuition rates among accredited online colleges in Utah. The top online programs include a networking and cyber security certificate, entrepreneurship, and Associate of Science in Computer Information Systems.
- Utah Valley University | Tuition: $407/Credit. Utah Valley University also offers affordable degree programs. Major programs include Associate of Science in Aviation Science, Bachelor of Science in Digital Marketing, and Bachelor of Arts in Psychology.
- Weber State university | Tuition: $492.48/Credit. Weber State University is a public research university that offers cheap online programs. Some of the notable programs include Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science, and Master of Criminal Justice.
Best Online Accredited Colleges in Utah That Accept Financial Aid
The best online accredited colleges in Utah that accept financial aid or provide scholarship opportunities are Southern Utah University, Weber State University, Snow College, Dixie State University, and the University of Utah.
- Southern Utah University | Tuition: $300/Credit. Students who attend Southern Utah University can apply for federal, state, and institutional financial aid. The types of aid available include grants, loans, work-study, and scholarships. The percentage of students receiving financial aid is 96 percent.
- Weber State University | Tuition: $492.48/Credit. WSU offers a variety of financial aid opportunities for its students. About 91 percent of students get financial aid from WSU.
- Snow College | Tuition: $548Year. Snow College provides financial aid opportunities for its students through grants, loans, work-study, and scholarships. About 90 percent of students at Snow College receive financial aid.
- Dixie State University | Tuition: $255/Credit. Dixie State University also offers various financial aid opportunities for its students with 90 percent of them currently receiving some form of aid.
- University of Utah | Tuition: $260/Credit. Currently, students at various levels of education are benefiting from financial aid opportunities. Around 75 percent of students receive financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, and fellowships.
Best Online Schools in Utah by Popular Subjects
Although most schools offer many online degree programs, some schools are recognized for a particular subject. Below we will discuss some of the best online schools in Utah ranked by popular subjects.
Best Accredited Online Colleges With Associate Degree Programs in Utah
Many online colleges in Utah offer associate degrees in various subjects. Some of the best schools include Utah State University, Snow College, and Weber State University. Other promising options are Utah Valley University, Salt Lake Community College, and Columbia College.
- Utah State University | Associate of Science in Agricultural Science. This is one of the top associate degree programs at USU. The program offers a hands-on learning experience to the students.
- Snow College | Associate of Science in Business. Snow College is one of the best public community colleges in Utah. The curriculum of the business associate program by Snow College is very comprehensive.
- Weber State University | Associate of Applied Science in Computer Science. Weber State University’s online Associate of Applied Science in Computer Science degree program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to be successful in any computer science field.
- Utah Valley University | Associate of Science in Criminal Justice. Utah Valley University’s Associate of Science in Criminal Justice program is an online degree that can be completed in as little as two years. Credits for job experience are also available.
- Columbia College | Associate in Health Services. Columbia College’s health services associate degree program provides online college students with a solid understanding of professional career possibilities in the field of healthcare and human services.
Best Online Associate Degrees
Best Accredited Online Colleges With Bachelor’s Degree Programs in Utah
There are many great accredited online colleges in Utah, each offering a variety of bachelor’s degree programs. Students looking to earn their undergraduate degrees online can choose from the University of Utah, Western Governors University, Southern Utah University, Weber State University, and Utah Valley University.
- University of Utah | Bachelors of Science Environmental and Sustainability Studies. The environmental and sustainability studies degree is a popular bachelor’s program for adult learners interested in sustainable solutions and environmental study. This postsecondary education qualifies graduates for rewarding careers.
- Western Governors University | Bachelors in Marketing. Getting an online Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing from Western Governors University is a great way to further your career in marketing. The primary benefit of getting an online degree in marketing is completing your coursework at your own pace.
- Southern Utah University | Bachelor in Political Science. Southern Utah University’s Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science provides undergraduate students with the necessary skills to succeed in a career in politics or public policy. The curriculum covers a broad range of topics. Students can complete this degree in three years.
- Weber State University | Bachelor of Arts in English, Creative Writing Emphasis. Weber State University’s online Bachelor’s Degree in English is the perfect way to jumpstart your writing career. The degree offers a well-rounded education in the field of writing and provides you with the skills necessary to succeed in a variety of creative writing careers.
- Utah Valley University | Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Technology Management. As the aviation industry continues to grow, there is an increasing demand for qualified aerospace technology management professionals. Utah Valley University’s online Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace Technology Management can help you gain the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in this exciting field.
Best Online Bachelor’s Degrees
Best Accredited Online Colleges With Master’s Degree Programs in Utah
Finding the best accredited online colleges with master’s degree programs in Utah can be challenging. Below are some of the best colleges with top master’s degree programs.
- University of Utah | Master of Science in Information Systems. The University of Utah has an excellent reputation for its information systems programs. The school offers a variety of courses that can help you further your career in information systems, with an affordable, world-class education.
- Utah State University | Career & Technical Education. One of the main advantages of getting this master’s degree from Utah State University is that it is one of the top universities in the state. The program itself is highly rated and consists of a broad range of subjects that offer many career options.
- Western Governors University | Master of Science in Nursing Leadership and Management (BSN to MSN). Western Governors University’s online Nursing Leadership and Management (BSN to MSN) program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). This nursing program has an excellent reputation in the job market.
- Southern Utah University | Masters of Arts in Professional Communication. If you are looking for an online Master’s Degree in Professional Communication, this is a great option. The online Master of Arts in Professional Communication degree will allow you to interact one-on-one with distinguished faculty who have a wealth of experience in the field.
- Weber State University | Master of Taxation. If you’re looking for a nationally ranked online Master of Taxation program that offers a personalized education, look no further than Weber State University. The program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
Best Online Master’s Degrees
Why You Should Attend an Accredited Online College in Utah
You should attend an online college in Utah because of the many benefits an online education offers. There are no set class times, and you can access the course material anytime, anywhere. Credits earned at an accredited online college are also more likely to be accepted by another college and can be used for accelerated programs.
Accredited online programs are generally less expensive than their on-campus counterparts and require no extra administrative costs. This type of learning is perfect for working adults who want to continue their education but cannot attend an on-campus college.
Accredited Online Colleges in Utah FAQ
It is possible to switch to an online college in the middle of the semester. However, some credits may not be transferable. It will also depend on the school you are attending and the program you are currently enrolled in. To avoid confusion, it’s best to speak with the institution to help you transition and clarify any issues.
Yes, you can usually transfer your credits earned at an online college to a four-year university. However, it is advisable to check with the university to see if they accept credits from the online college you are attending.
An articulation agreement is a formal agreement between two colleges that allows students to transfer credits between them. This agreement makes it easier for students to transfer credits from an online college to a four-year university.
If you get admitted to a non-accredited online college, your credits may not be accepted by another college. In addition, you may not be eligible for financial aid from the government. Employers prefer graduates with accredited degrees over non-accredited degrees. It’s advisable to check if your college is accredited before applying.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.