Amazon Web Services is a cloud platform offering more than a hundred services that can be used to improve businesses. There are many ways a person can choose to learn AWS.
You may choose to take an Amazon Web Services class or just watch training videos online. Amazon Web Services’ website also offers its own training guides specific to the many possible applications of AWS.
In this article, we will go over Amazon Web Services courses and training, and the resources available for those looking to learn how to use the platform.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
Do you want to learn more about how a coding bootcamp can help you learn to code? Get started by finding the right bootcamp for you along with unlocking additional information about bootcamp cost and reviews.
What Is Amazon Web Services?
In simple terms, Amazon Web Services is a cloud platform that small businesses, start-ups, and corporations use to improve their business and lower costs. Within this software, businesses can use services that provide storage, artificial intelligence, analytics, machine learning, and more.
What Is AWS Used For?
Amazon Web Services offers many services within its cloud platform that help streamline business activities and reduce costs.
Some leading companies that use Amazon Web Services to run their business include Netflix, Apple, Kellogg’s, Shell, and Expedia.
Some of the jobs available to Amazon Web Services professionals include:
- Cloud software engineer
- Operational support manager
- Cloud developer
- Cloud system integrator
- AWS solutions architect
- AWS sysops administrator
There are about 175 products offered by Amazon Web Services. They are divided into 26 product sections for a business’s specific needs. Below is a sample of 10 of the types of products offered.
- Robotics. The RoboMaker program can be used to test and develop robotic applications.
- Analytics. There are 12 different analytics programs on AWS.
- Application Integration. There are seven programs for application integration, including no-code integration for SaaS, SMS, email, and push notifications.
- Developer Tools. There are 14 developer tools available on AWS, including CodeBuild applications, X-Ray, which is used to debug apps, and many more tools for developers.
- Networking and Content Delivery. There are 11 networking and content delivery applications within AWS, such as CloudFront, VPC, Private Link, and App Mesh.
- AR and VR. Amazon Sumerian allows users to create, build, and run AR and VR applications.
- Front End Web and Mobile. AWS has five front end web and mobile products: API Gateway, Pinpoint, AppSync, Amplify, and Device Farm.
- Storage. With AWS storage, there are 10 products offering different storing capabilities, including AWS Backup, Simple Storage Service, Elastic Block Store, and Storage Gateway.
- Security, Identity, and Compliance. There are 18 products offered in this section, such as AWS Artifact, Guard Duty, Inspector, Key Management Service, and Security Hub.
- Game Tech. For businesses interested in using game tech, AWS has two products. Amazon GameLift is a simple and cost-effective hosting game server. Amazon Lumberyard is a 3D game engine integrated with AWS and Twitch.
Learning Amazon Web Services
If you want to learn to use Amazon Web Services, the company offers training and certifications on its website. Furthermore, these classes are offered both online or in-person by an accredited AWS instructor.
How Long Does it Take to Learn Amazon Web Services?
There are hundreds of courses available. They range from 30 minutes long to a few hours depending on the curriculum.
How to Learn Amazon Web Services: Step-by-Step
Let’s go over how you can start learning the different Amazon Web Services.
- Create an AWS Account for free. To get started, create a free AWS account.
- Find a specialty to learn. Depending on how you want to learn to improve your business, there are many AWS courses available in any field.
- Prepare for the certification exam. To get a certification after your course, you must pass a final exam. Before taking it, complete the exam prep tests offered by AWS.
- Take the certification exam. After completing your training, you must pass the certification exam, then start putting your skills to the test.
There are six areas that you can choose to get certified in. They are Advanced Networking, Data Analytics, Security, Alexa Skill Builder, Database, and Machine Learning. Your certification will be in one of three different levels, depending on your experience.
A foundational certificate is for those with six months of experience as a Cloud Practitioner. An associate certificate is for those who have one year of experience working as a Solutions Architect, Sysops Administrator, or a Developer. The professional certificate is for people who have two years of experience working as a Solutions Architect or a DevOps Engineer.
The Best Amazon Web Services Courses and Training
There are many ways to learn Amazon Web Services programs. You can choose from the online and in-person courses listed below.
Online and In-Person AWS Classes
Amazon Web Services offers free virtual or in-person classroom training taught by a certified AWS instructor. These virtual classrooms are taught live, so students can attend from home and still interact with the teacher to get all of the information they would normally get in a physical classroom. AWS also partners with other training institutes to offer in-person classes.
Below is a list of the Amazon Web Services classes available. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some classes that are normally taught in person may be offered virtually for the time being.
Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services offers more than 400 free, digital courses that are self-paced and are available for individuals and teams to learn about the different AWS services and programs. They also offer several in-person options worldwide. Below are some of the Amazon Web Services training courses that are out there.
- Media Essentials for IT Business Decision Makers. In-person in Denmark and online.
- Practical Data Science with Amazon SageMaker. In-person in Asia and Europe and online.
- AWS Discovery Day. In-person in New Zealand and online.
- Introduction to Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
- Game Server Hosting on AWS
- AWS Foundations: Securing Your AWS Cloud
- Moving to Managed Databases on AWS
- Amazon Simple Storage Service
- Developing Machine Learning Applications
If you have decided that you don’t want to learn through the AWS training services website, Coursera also partners with Amazon Web Services to offer some programs. These Coursera courses, aimed at both individuals and teams, will help you gain knowledge of AWS to use in your career.
- Deploy Machine Learning Model into AWS Cloud Servers
- Terraform Basics: Automate Provisioning of AWS EC2 Instances
- AWS Fundamentals Specialization
- AWS Fundamentals: Going Cloud-Native
- AWS Fundamentals: Building Serverless Applications
Cloud Academy offers several AWS courses focused on its different programs.
This AWS Fundamentals class goes over everything an individual needs to know about AWS. The curriculum covers Amazon Web Services Computer Fundamentals, creating an Amazon EC2 Instance, and creating an Amazon S3 Bucket.
Amazon Web Services Books
If learning online isn’t enough for you, there are also books on Amazon Web Services and what it’s used for. Below is a list of books available about AWS.
This book goes over the Amazon Web Services cloud computing platform. The material is for anyone from beginners to those who have advanced knowledge of Amazon Web Services and want to help their company reduce costs and control data.
Amazon Web Services for Dummies – Bernard Golden
In this Amazon Web Services for Dummies book, you can read about the many uses of Amazon Web Services. It describes the benefits of switching to AWS at your business. In it, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to store objects, send emails, manage data, and more.
Amazon Web Services in Action – Michael Wittig and Andreas Wittig
This Amazon Web Services in Action book gives an introduction to storing, computing, and networking within the Amazon Web Services platform. Throughout this book, you will also read about deploying web applications, automation, scalability, and serverless infrastructure.
Learn AWS Serverless Computing – Scott Patterson
In this Learn AWS Serverless Computing book, you will learn how to write and deploy serverless applications with Amazon Web Services. This book for beginners also covers AWSLambda.
Online Amazon Web Services Resources
Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services offers many resources to help individuals and teams understand the platform. It provides extra help in any field of Amazon Web Services.
You can learn anything on YouTube, including Amazon Web Services. The video platform has many AWS resources, courses, and explanations for anyone who wants to learn more.
Everyone knows LinkedIn as a resource for finding jobs and networking with professionals. But, it can also be a great educational resource.
On the Amazon Web Services LinkedIn page, there are many articles with the latest news about AWS, including updates and changes to services. Check out their LinkedIn page to read the articles, or apply for a job if you think you’re ready.
Should You Study Amazon Web Services?
The Amazon Web Services cloud platform is great for anyone who wants to help streamline their workplace. As discussed, there are many benefits to using the platform, including increased efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
One of the jobs you can get with an Amazon Web Services certification is as a computer network architect. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, an average computer network architect salary is $112,690 per year in the US.
After reading this article, we hope you have all the information you need to choose which Amazon Web Services courses you want to take to develop your career. If you are already employed, maybe you will decide to take a course to make the transition to AWS’ vast cloud computing platform.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.