Machine learning is a discipline within computer science and artificial intelligence that uses algorithms and data to imitate human learning. Machine learning professionals work on improving system accuracy with the ultimate goal of replicating human thinking. It’s an advanced technical field, so a degree from one of the best schools for machine learning is necessary to get your start.
If you want to be a pioneer in this industry, you should pursue undergraduate or graduate studies at one of the best machine learning universities or colleges. This article covers the best programs and includes details like tuition costs, curricula, and accreditation. With this information at hand, you can apply to the best machine learning schools for your career goals.
Best Machine Learning College and University Rankings: Top 10 Machine Learning Schools at a Glance
|School||State||Formats Available||US News Ranking|
|Carnegie Mellon University||PA||In person||#25|
|Columbia University||NY||In person||#2|
|Cornell University||NY||In person, online||#17|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||MA||In person||#2|
|Northwestern University||IL||In person||#9|
|Stanford University||CA||In person, online||#6|
|University of California San Diego||CA||In person, online||#34|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign||IL||In person, online||#47|
|University of Maryland- College Park||MD||In person||#59|
|University of Texas at Austin||TX||In person, online||#38|
Machine Learning School Rankings: Best Machine Learning Colleges and Universities
You can earn an undergraduate or graduate degree in machine learning by studying at a school with a strong computer science department. The schools in this list include Stanford University, Carnegie Mellon University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and University of Texas at Austin.
The Best Schools for Machine Learning: Types of College Degrees and University Programs Offered
Machine learning programs are available at various levels that are suitable for different career stages and goals. Certificates are great ways for working professionals to study specific topics in machine learning and artificial intelligence. Associate degrees are good introductions to the field, and those looking for higher-level careers should pursue undergraduate or graduate degree programs.
Comparing Popular Degree Options
Best Machine Learning Schools: Other Machine Learning University Rankings
There are many factors to consider when choosing the best machine learning schools for you. The lists below outline the best online schools, community colleges, undergraduate schools, dual degree programs, and accelerated degree programs for machine learning.
Best Online Machine Learning Schools
- Stanford University. Software engineers, data scientists, and AI professionals will benefit from Stanford’s reputation for academic excellence through its online graduate certificate programs. Students can enroll in the Artificial Intelligence and Mining Massive Datasets online programs.
- Drexel University. Drexel University offers a Master of Science in Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning program that focuses on data science and analytics, theory of computation and algorithms, and applications of artificial intelligence and machine learning. Graduates can pursue careers as data scientists, computer and information research scientists, or computer systems analysts, among other high-paying roles.
- Purdue University. Purdue University’s post-graduate degree program in artificial intelligence and machine learning combines advanced coursework with hands-on training in a bootcamp-style format. The program is taught in collaboration with IBM.
Best Community Colleges for Machine Learning
- Wayne Community College. This program is designed to address the shortage of professionals prepared for artificial intelligence careers in North Carolina. Students enrolled in this school’s program may be eligible for work-based learning and apprenticeship opportunities to supplement their education.
- Houston Community College. Students in the Associate of Applied Science in Artificial Intelligence program will benefit from Houston’s status as a world-class tech hub. HCC has partnerships with Intel, Microsoft, and Amazon, providing students with internships and mentorships on top of their coursework.
- Maricopa Community Colleges. Students at Maricopa Community Colleges in Arizona can study artificial intelligence in a certificate program or associate degree program. The certificate program is 36 credits and covers programming languages, computer vision, and machine learning. The AAS is 60 credits and dives deeper into these topics. The associate degree program also includes a capstone project.
Best Undergraduate Schools for Machine Learning
- Carnegie Mellon University. Carnegie Mellon offers an undergraduate program specifically in artificial intelligence. The private institution is known for academic excellence, and this 360-program is no exception. Graduates can work in high-paying fields like computer linguistics, AI engineering, and NLP engineering.
- Stanford University. Students in this elite private university’s computer science bachelor’s degree program can specialize in machine learning by choosing a track in artificial intelligence, information, or human-computer interaction. Graduates can work in fields like artificial intelligence engineering, business intelligence development, and research science.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology. MIT has a unique Bachelor’s Degree in Computation and Cognition. Students must complete 180 credits in a rigorous curriculum, split between courses in electrical engineering, computer science, and cognitive science.
Best Graduate Schools for Machine Learning
- Carnegie Mellon University. The Master of Science in Machine Learning from Carnegie Mellon combines theoretical knowledge with hands-on experience in a cutting-edge curriculum. It covers topics like supervised and unsupervised learning and deep learning.
- Cornell University. Cornell’s Master of Engineering in Computer Science program gives students a thorough understanding of computer program design and analysis, as well as the ability to execute programs. Students gain the skills necessary to develop new methods and techniques for solving problems in computer science.
- Georgia Institute of Technology. Students in Georgia Tech’s MS in Computer Science program have three options for their studies. They can choose a coursework-only path, complete a final research project, or write a thesis. Specializations include computational perception and robotics, machine learning, and interactive intelligence.
Best Machine Learning Schools With Dual Degree Programs
- University of Maryland | Combined BS/MS in Computer Science. The department of computer science at UMD offers a combined degree track, allowing exceptional students to earn both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees in five years.
- Carnegie Mellon University | PhD in Statistics & Machine Learning. The joint PhD Program in Machine Learning and Statistics is a unique degree program that combines the strengths of two different disciplines. Graduates are uniquely prepared for academic careers in both computer science and statistics departments in universities.
- University of Texas at Austin | Integrated Program in Computer Science. Undergraduate students who exhibit academic excellence can apply for the school’s integrated program in computer science, which allows them to earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree simultaneously. Students can choose between an MS in Information Studies or an MS in Computational Science, Engineering, and Mathematics.
Best Schools With Accelerated Machine Learning Programs
- University of California-Berkeley | Certificate in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. In just six months, students can gain a comprehensive understanding of machine learning technology and its business applications. UC Berkeley’s professional certificate program is taught by faculty from its excellent computer science department. Students get both foundational and advanced knowledge in the field.
- Saint Louis University | BS to MS Accelerated Program. The data science accelerated program at this private university is designed for students who are looking to complete their graduate degrees in a shorter timeframe. Students can choose a specialization in artificial intelligence and earn their BS and MS degrees in five years.
- University of Pennsylvania | AI for Decision Making. The Wharton School of Business at UPenn offers an AI bootcamp that lets students start from scratch. Students get to benefit from the private institution’s expert faculty from the comfort of their homes thanks to the online format.
Easy Colleges to Get Into
Is Graduate School for Machine Learning Worth It?
Yes, a graduate degree in Machine Learning is worth it. It is the bare minimum qualification for breaking into the multi-billion dollar artificial intelligence industry. To select the best school for you, you must thoroughly research your program and meet all of its admission requirements.
What Jobs Can You Do With a Machine Learning Degree?
With a degree in machine learning, you can work as an artificial intelligence specialist, a machine learning engineer, a software developer, or a data scientist. Machine learning can be applied to a wide range of fields, so you could work in industries like business, engineering, technology, or healthcare.
How Much Can I Earn With a Degree in Machine Learning?
A machine learning bachelor’s degree can earn you between $95,255 and $138,195 per year. As you gain experience in the field, you can pursue graduate studies to increase your earning potential. Advanced degrees can also qualify you for managerial and other senior roles. The table below summarizes the highest-paying jobs in the field.
Highest-Paying Machine Learning Careers
|Profession||Minimum Education||Average Salary|
|Artificial Intelligence (AI) Specialist||Bachelor’s degree||$125,208|
|Machine Learning Engineer||Bachelor’s degree||$114,338|
|NLP Data Scientist||Bachelor’s degree||$101,835|
|Computer and Information Scientists||Bachelor’s degree||$100,384|
|Data Scientist||Bachelor’s degree||$99,671|
|Computer Scientist||Bachelor’s degree||$96,317|
|Business Intelligence Developer||Bachelor’s degree||$95,255|
|Software Engineer||Bachelor’s degree||$88,896|
|Python Engineer||Bachelor’s degree||$79,395|
|Software Developer||Bachelor’s degree||$73,967|
Best Jobs With a Machine Learning Degree
Machine learning is one of the most exciting and fastest-growing computer science fields. As machine learning algorithms become more sophisticated, they are being used in a wide variety of industries to solve real-world problems. This has created a demand for machine learning experts who can design and implement these algorithms.
There are many different career paths available for students interested in machine learning. Research scientists develop new algorithms and applications for machine learning. Data scientists use machine learning to gain insights from data sets. There are opportunities in a wide range of sectors and companies implementing machine learning algorithms.
Whichever path students choose, they can be confident that a career in machine learning will be both exciting and well-paid. With the field’s impact on healthcare, engineering, and technology, there is no doubt that machine learning will continue to grow in importance. As such, students who have the skills and knowledge in this field are likely to enjoy continued job security.
How Can I Pay for Machine Learning School?
You can pay for your machine learning education through student loans and scholarships, or by paying out of pocket. You can also reduce the cost of your education by considering public schools instead of private schools, online instead of on-site programs, and university alternatives. The following options can be considered for financing your education.
- Pay out of pocket. If you’re fortunate enough to be able to afford your tuition costs upfront, paying out of pocket is your best option since you won’t graduate with any student debt.
- Apply for scholarships. Scholarships are offered by private companies, community organizations, and academic institutions. They do not need to be repaid, so you should research scholarship opportunities and apply for the ones you qualify for.
- Take out student loans. You can take out federal or private student loans to finance your education. Be careful when applying for loans, because they’ll need to be repaid after graduation. You’ll want to consider factors like interest rates and income-based repayment plans.
- Apply for need-based financial aid. If you are from a lower-income background, you might qualify for need-based financial aid. You should fill out FAFSA with your college applications, and some schools have their own grant programs. For example, Harvard University funds tuition costs for low-income students.
How to Pay for Your Chosen School Education Path
Choosing the Best Machine Learning School for You
When weighing your options for machine learning programs, you should consider the curricula, opportunities for research and internships, and whether your program will prepare you for the real world by requiring a capstone project.
Provides a Thorough Background
Universities publish course catalogs and degree plans on their websites. When applying for schools, check out the documents available with different computer science departments. You want to make sure you’re applying to academic institutions that cover the fundamentals in computer science, programming, and math. Since machine learning relies on human learning patterns, you’ll benefit from curricula that include psychology or neuroscience courses as well.
Includes Advanced Courses and Research
With the basics covered, you can take a look at available electives and faculty specializations. You want to make sure that you have an opportunity to learn all of the different schools of thought when it comes to machine learning and artificial intelligence. Look for advanced classes in computer science, philosophy, ethics, engineering, and mathematics.
Provides Internship Opportunities
Like lab experience, internships help you learn by giving you real-life experience working with machine learning systems. You’ll also learn how to be a good colleague by getting workplace experience. The best academic institutions have career services and connections with companies and organizations that you can benefit from.
Requires a Capstone Project
The best academic institutions for machine learning will provide opportunities for students to think creatively. A capstone project is a chance for students to apply everything they’ve learned over their studies to research projects of their own design. Capstone projects can be used in students’ portfolios when they enter the workforce.
How to Get Into the Right School for Your Profession
Does It Matter What College I Go to for Machine Learning?
If you want a degree in machine learning, then the college you go to matters. Not all academic institutions have faculty who are machine learning experts, machine learning degree tracks, or computing laboratories. It doesn’t matter if you attend a public or private institution, but you should do your research and make sure you pick the best program specifically for machine learning.
Machine Learning University Ranking Methodology: How We Ranked the Best Schools for Machine Learning
We ranked the best machine learning schools using university rankings from US News & World Report and Times Higher Education. To improve our machine learning university ranking technique, we took into account factors such as track record, completion rates, student-to-faculty ratio, and the depth and breadth of machine learning courses offered.
Additional Reading About Machine Learning
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/machine-learning-terminology/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/machine-learning-newsletters/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/best-programming-languages-for-machine-learning/
Best Machine Learning Schools FAQ
Artificial intelligence is a catch-all term for technology that enables machines to mimic human behavior. Machine learning is a subfield of artificial intelligence that allows machines to learn on their own. Rather than programming a computer to do something, data engineers program it to learn.
You can get a job as a software engineer, programmer, or data analyst with a machine learning bachelor’s degree. Job opportunities are available in a variety of industries, including business, finance, education, commerce, and engineering. These skills are in demand everywhere, from Silicon Valley tech companies to hospitals and government agencies.
Along with the schools in this article, you can get a machine learning bachelor’s degree at University of Pittsburgh, Harvard University, Yale University, Purdue University, Johns Hopkins University, Princeton University, and Oregon State University.
Yes, machine learning engineers are in high demand because their skills are applicable in a variety of industries. Enrolling in a bachelor’s degree program and developing your skills can increase your chances of finding work.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.