The popular online game-creation and gaming platform Roblox is one of the most-enjoyed platforms among users of all ages. Learning how to work for Roblox is complicated by the fact that users can create and sell their own products, but that isn’t the same as being employed by the company.
If you are a gaming enthusiast who loves building worlds for other people to enjoy, then getting a Roblox job might be a great career move for you. Read on to find out more about the company, its roots, values, goals, and the kind of employees it looks for. You’ll learn how to find work at Roblox and turn your gaming passion into a paid job.
Roblox: Company Background
Roblox was founded by engineer-turned-entrepreneur David Baszucki and late entrepreneur Erik Cassel in 2004 before getting released in 2006. The Roblox corporation is located in San Mateo, CA. The gaming and game-creation platform supported by the Roblox company is guided by the mission statement of “bringing people together through play.”
Roblox allows gamers around the world to either develop video games or play ones that were created by other users. Roblox has over 40 million games, coded in the popular programming language Lua. These games attract over 150 million users. Users appreciate both the wide range of games and Roblox company values of antiracism and strong anti-hate speech moderation.
How to Get a Job at Roblox
Landing a Roblox job is a dream come true for gaming enthusiasts and programmers who want to work at the best game development companies. Looking for open positions on the Roblox careers page is a good way to get started, but there is a lot more to know about how to work for Roblox.
How Hard Is It to Land a Job at Roblox?
Joining one of the fastest-growing gaming platforms is no easy feat if you don’t have the right skills or educational background. To get a job at Roblox you’ll need a strong background in software engineering, design, or computer science, as well as a creative streak.
If you aren’t interested in a technical position, Roblox has jobs in departments such as marketing, communications, and legal. To get a job at Roblox, start by identifying an open position that fits your education and work experience.
Applying for a Job at Roblox
The Roblox job application process is simple and straightforward. The most important step is to update your resume and make sure it uses common industry terms that are also found in the job description. After you upload a strong resume, you can expect to hear from the hiring team about one or more interviews.
- Find an open position. Use the Roblox career page to search for open jobs that fit your background. You can filter positions by location and keyword.
- Upload your resume. You can upload your resume to the Roblox career page to get a customized list of open jobs that match your profile.
- Wait to be contacted. There isn’t a set window of time between when you apply to work at Roblox to when you hear about whether you are invited to interview. It could take anywhere between one week to one month.
- Interview. You’ll be contacted for one or more interviews with members of the hiring team and potential future coworkers. Interviews for technical roles may include technical challenges related to the role.
- Job offer. If your resume matches the job description and you ace the interviews, the hiring manager will send you a job offer. This is your chance to negotiate your salary and benefits package before accepting the job.
Roblox Job Openings: What Opportunities Are Available at Roblox?
Working at Roblox is a great step in your career. After you’ve studied to become a software engineer or perhaps completed a computer science degree, you can apply for Roblox job openings in roles like the ones listed below. Some jobs are available for entry-level workers, while others are reserved for professionals with five, ten, or more years of experience.
- Salary: $122,659
- Job Type: Full-time
- Required Education: Bachelor of Science or Master of Science in Computer Science, or similar
- Required Experience: Previous experience in software engineering (from internships, school and personal projects, and/or previous jobs)
To land this role, you must exhibit fluency in one or more programming languages, such as Lua, Java, Ruby, or Python. For more advanced roles, you’ll need to have specific experience programming in Lua. Once hired, you’ll work closely with Roblox’s data science and analytics, product development, and DevOps teams.
- Salary: $65,449
- Job Type: Contract
- Required Education: Not required, but a degree in computer engineering, game design, or instructional design is an advantage
- Required Experience: Over three years of experience in instructional design or Roblox development; coding and game development experience is a plus
In this role, you’ll collaborate with experts from Roblox’s technical departments to create instructional content that will guide developers in using the Roblox Studio development platform. You’ll also illustrate concepts and features with practical examples in the Studio. This is a great job for programmers who like explaining how they do what they do.
Executive Assistant, Engineering
- Salary: $59,523
- Job Type: Full-time
- Required Education: N/A
- Required Experience: Familiar with engineering and other technical jargon; experience in project management or similar role
As an executive assistant at Roblox, you should be able to communicate clearly, manage schedules, and handle confidential information with discretion. You’ll be the point of contact for the engineering team leads so fluency in the tech jargon is a must. Most of your responsibilities will revolve around organizing events and sharing information.
Machine Learning Engineer
- Salary: $112,613
- Job Type: Full-time
- Required Education: Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or similar
- Required Experience: Two to six years of experience with using machine learning to personalize recommendations for a large number of users
In this role, you’ll use data from Roblox users to build more personalized recommendations for users. This information helps direct users to content they’ll enjoy on a gaming platform with an overwhelming number of choices. As a Roblox machine learning engineer, you’ll balance using commonly used techniques with researching new technology.
- Salary: $101,484
- Job Type: Full-time
- Required Education: Degree in computer science, software engineering, or similar
- Required Experience: Five years working on and managing data analytics products
Product managers at Roblox drive the big-picture planning for data analytics products developed in-house. Product managers are expected to be comfortable with technical language and should be able to work directly with teams of engineers and stakeholders. In this role, you’ll need to develop and track metrics to make sure your team is on track to meet its goals.
What’s it Like to Work at Roblox?
Working at Roblox may be unlike any other corporation you’ve worked at before. The work culture is uniquely designed to help employees enjoy a good work-life balance, and Roblox was named by Fortune in 2019 as one of the Best Workplaces in the Bay Area. Roblox employee benefits and salaries play a big role in employee satisfaction.
Perks and Benefits
Roblox strives to keep its employees happy through a strong benefits package, in addition to high employee salaries for Roblox workers. Roblox employee benefits include:
- A complete package of healthcare benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Unlimited vacation policy
- A 401(k) program
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Onsite fitness center, free lunch, and unlimited snacks
The demographics of Roblox’s workforce are relatively diverse for a tech company. Of its roughly 1,200 workers, 38 percent are women and 62 percent are men. Fifty-two percent of Roblox employees identify as white, 21 percent identify as Hispanic or Latino, and 16 percent identify as Asian.
Eighty-eight percent of Roblox employees think Roblox is a great company to work for, which speaks highly of the Roblox culture. That’s higher than the 57 percent of employees who work in other companies across the US. Employees cite reasons such as company pride, a good working environment, and challenging projects as key factors that build a positive work culture at Roblox.
What Does It Take to Get a Job at Roblox?
Roblox is one of the fastest-growing entertainment platforms worldwide. Its recruitment team looks for people who can embrace the fun of play, as well as take on the challenges that come with maintaining a safe and quality user experience. If you want to become a game developer, Roblox is one of the top companies to work for.
To work for Roblox and be a part of this supportive workplace, you’ll need to do your research. Read the open positions carefully, leverage your software and computer skills in your resume, and read up on what employees are saying about the hiring process. A job at Roblox will help you grow into a creative professional, no matter what field you’re in.
How to Work for Roblox FAQ
Most positions at Roblox are full-time, with an expected 40-hour work week. However, some employee reviews of Roblox state hours that vary from department to department. Some roles will have steady work within the typical full-time hours, while other roles will have heavy workloads that they will struggle to complete in normal full-time hours.
How many employees does Roblox have?
According to Glassdoor, Roblox has between 1001 and 5000 employees, making it a medium to large-sized company. The vast majority of employees work at the main headquarters in San Mateo, CA, but some employees work in China, Europe, and Southeast Asia.
How much do Roblox employees make?
Roblox employees make $121,656 per year on average. Employees in more experienced roles make more, while entry-level positions make less. Overall Roblox salaries are higher than the average for US workers.
Does Roblox allow work from home?
There are some positions with the flexibility to work from home at Roblox, but it really varies from position to position. You can use the location filter on the Roblox career page to search for remote jobs. If the remote policy is unclear for the role you are applying for, make sure to ask your interviewer about it during the interview process.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.