The best way to master this useful tool is to get as much practice as possible. Working on a project is a tried-and-tested method to get better at your craft and truly understand the source code behind scalable web applications that use Node.js.
In this guide, we’ve compiled some of the best Node.js project ideas for beginner, intermediate, and advanced learners. Aside from giving you valuable practice, these projects can be added to your portfolio to gain a competitive advantage once you apply for a developer job.
5 Skills That Node.js Projects Can Help You Practice
In any project you work on, your priority should always be to keep getting better at what you do. This means honing the key skills that allow you to build high-performing apps. As you take on some of the Node.js projects below, these are the skills that you should be focusing on:
- Full Stack Web Development. The projects below give you a chance to work on your front end and backend development skills. In the most advanced levels, you will rely on your knowledge of servers, databases, frameworks, and user interface (UI) design to build websites and mobile apps that function optimally.
- Database Management. All websites and mobile apps deal with data in one way or another. With Node.js, you can ensure that databases store, provide, and secure information correctly.
- RESTful API. Creating an API is an essential part of the development process. Some of the projects on this list will challenge you to build stable RESTful APIs, an important skill that will help you succeed in this industry.
- Problem Solving Skills. As you work on some of the projects on this list, you will encounter plenty of problems that you will have to solve using your ingenuity and creativity as well as your analytical skills.
- App Security. For some of the apps you create, you will have to come up with security measures and protocols to safeguard critical data.
Best Node.js Project Ideas for Beginners
Are you just getting started on Node.js? These basic projects for beginners should not be too difficult to do and follow. You will need your fundamental skills and let your imagination flow to achieve success in the development process.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: Database Management, RESTful API
- Node.js Skills Practiced: RESTful API, PHP, HTML, CSS
In this project, you will use Node.js to build a random number generator with multiple applications, such as rolling a die or retrieving a random quote. To complete this project, you need to be proficient in PHP. You will also need some knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: Full Stack Web Development, Database Management, RESTful API, App Security
Develop a basic chat app with Node.js and additional frameworks such as Express.js and MongoDB. The goal is to ensure that users stay connected during a chat and messages are received in real-time. The interface does not have to be extravagant, but you are free to change it as you see fit.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: Full Stack Web Development, App Security
This project is ideal for web developers who want to track progress while building a website. A script will take a screenshot of the website and feed it to a README stream. This allows you to check any changes and decide if there is anything you need to modify. This is a handy tool to compare different versions of a website and choose the one you like best.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: Full Stack Web Development, RESTful API, HTML5
Best Intermediate Node.js Project Ideas
If you want something a bit more challenging, try these intermediate Node.js projects. These projects require a good deal of experience with Node.js coding. If you have that expertise, dive in.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: Full Stack Web Development, Database Management, App Security
This project involves building an appointment management system with Node.js that can be used by a company. The end product should clearly show the available slots and be very user-friendly, which requires UX and UI design skills. This application will store customer data, so it must have a secure database to keep this information safe.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: RESTful API, Database Management
The npm module is needed for this project as you will create a Twitter API that allows you to run a command without human intervention. The goal is to build a bot for Twitter that will perform specific actions at a particular time. It should be capable of fetching a specific quote and tweeting it.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: Full Stack Web Development, Database Management
With Node.js, you can create a sleep tracker to monitor your sleeping habits and improve your health. The challenge consists of creating an app capable of tracking sleep time, wake up time, and sleep duration. Users should be able to add, edit, or remove any entries. The app should have a reliable database and a good interface.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: Full Stack Web Development
Advanced Node.js Project Ideas
Now that you have experience with basic and intermediate projects, it is time to attempt something a bit more complex. The following Node.js project ideas are for advanced learners and involve more complicated techniques and tools.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: Full Stack Web Development, App Security, Database Management
In this project, you will create an app that stores client information, generates invoices automatically, and sends payment alerts. The final product should have a solid user interface and a reliable database. Your invoices can contain a link that lets clients pay immediately via Stripe.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: Full Stack Web Development, RESTful API, JSON, App Security
In this project, you will attempt to build a content management system like Strapi using Node.js and JSON. Your app should have an auto-email system, file upload, and auto-generated documentation. Additionally, the app should be secure since it will contain sensitive data.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: Full Stack Web Development, Database Management, RESTful API
Using Node.js, you can create a quirky and artful photo collage tool to edit images and create spectacular designs. Aside from storing images, your app should allow the user to modify several aspects of these images, including size and aspect ratio.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: RESTful API
Develop a PDF generation library like PDFKit using Node.js. The final product should allow you to create multi-page, print-ready documents. With a reliable API, this helpful library should be able to convert a document into a PDF regardless of its original format. This project requires that you install the npm package manager to feed commands and modify them.
- Node.js Skills Practiced: RESTful API
In this project, you will create an app that monitors website downtimes, covering multiple sites simultaneously. Challenge yourself to create an app that can check each site automatically at predetermined intervals. If a website is not available online, the app should send an automatic email or message to the owner.
Node.js Starter Project Templates
Programmers have access to an amazing community of like-minded professionals willing to share resources of all kinds. If you are working on a Node.js project, these communities can give you access to templates that will greatly facilitate the work. These are some freely available project templates that you can check out:
- Real-Time Apps for Messaging, Audio, and Video Conference. This Node.js template is perfect for real-time chat apps, including those with audio and video conference capabilities. The template supports features like instant messaging and individual or group calls.
- Node.js for Platform.sh. This template is designed for websites built using Platform.sh. You are given an application skeleton and shown how to connect to the server.
- Email Marketing Application. If you want to build an email marketing application such as InboxGun, this template helps you incorporate features such as email editor, templates, graphics, link click counts, and email scheduling.
- Node.js with Express.js. This template is helpful for projects that use both Node.js and Express.js. It will help you ensure that the server is running correctly.
- Video Live Streaming. Create a fully responsive video live stream app by using this handy template. It includes tools for monetization, filtering, and more.
Next Steps: Start Organizing Your Node.js Portfolio
Before you apply to a new coding position, think about crafting your portfolio with Node.js vs Python projects. The projects in this article will help you build a strong portfolio that you can showcase on a personal website. Your portfolio reflects your hard work and talent and it should contain your best work. If you want to be a Node.js developer, follow these tips to ensure that you create a winning digital portfolio.
Choose Projects Carefully
Prioritize projects that are relevant to the specific position that you are interested in. If you are applying for work as a web developer, make sure your portfolio includes websites you have created from the ground up and are proud of. Remember, a good portfolio contains only a few projects, but they should all be top-notch.
Provide Project Details
Alongside each project, you can include brief descriptions to let the reader know about the tools and techniques you employed. This is a nice detail that will improve your resume and make it more informative. Future employers can use these descriptions to know more about the software programs and technologies that you are comfortable with.
Highlight Your Achievements
Make sure that your most successful projects are highly visible on your website. You want to impress the hiring manager right away, and this requires being strategic about where you place your best work within your digital portfolio.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Node.js Projects FAQ
Node.js is best known for its role in server or backend development. However, it is also essential in the front end as it ensures the flow of information within a website or application. In other words, Node.js is an important element of full stack web development.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.