There has been a high demand for healthcare workers since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. If you love caring for people and serving your community, it might be worth pursuing a job in this industry. If you’re not sure what types of companies operate in the healthcare field, read on in this guide to discover the best healthcare companies in 2022.
Healthcare jobs follow strict guidelines when it comes to who they hire. Keep this in mind to make sure you are fully prepared before applying for a job. In this article, we’ll also provide you with some tips to follow if you want to land a healthcare job.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
Types of Healthcare Companies
There are different types of healthcare companies and each provides specific services. To choose the right healthcare career path, you must understand the function of each of these healthcare facilities.
Pharmaceutical companies manufacture and distribute medication and drugs. These companies also focus on research and testing for new healthcare solutions. They can produce everything from flu vaccinations to over-the-counter medication.
Hospitals treat patients with chronic illnesses and those who need emergency care. There are several types of hospitals, including district hospitals, which serve as the main health care facility in a certain region.
Private hospitals are not owned by the government and are funded by fees charged to patients. There are also specialized hospitals, such as children’s hospitals, trauma centers, and psychiatric hospitals that provide a specific type of care.
Health Insurance Providers
Health insurance companies make up a different health care sector. A health insurance plan helps an individual cover the costs of medical treatment and services. Healthcare costs can be extremely high in the US and health insurance is meant to relieve some of the burden of sudden or persistent medical costs.
How to Get a Job in the Healthcare Field
The healthcare field is a crucial part of any community, so healthcare companies are careful to select only the most suitable candidate for their job openings. There are strict requirements you must meet before you can land a healthcare job. The following are some basic steps you should take if you want to start a career in healthcare.
- Education. For some medical careers, you only need a certification or associate degree. These include medical assistants, ultrasound technicians, caregivers, and surgical technologists. Most healthcare institutions prefer that applicants have at least a bachelor’s degree in a field related to medicine and some jobs require licensed healthcare professionals.
- Healthcare training. For most healthcare jobs, you’ll need to complete intensive training to make sure you have all the necessary practical skills and knowledge. This will also ensure that you are up to date on standard medical practices, laws, and regulations. The objective is to avoid medical malpractice and to make sure patients are not in danger.
- Medical license. You’ll need to get a license before you can practice medicine. To become a licensed medical practitioner, you will need to pass a medical board assessment or a licensure exam accredited by a medical professionals association or by the government.
- Gain experience. One of the easiest ways to gain experience is through volunteering or accepting an internship. This will give your resume a boost and will increase your chances of being considered for a job in the future.
- Grow your network. Join some medical professional groups and reach out to the healthcare professionals you know. These might be your classmates or acquaintances you have made during your training and internships. Growing your network will help you make connections at the healthcare companies you are interested in working for.
The Best Companies in the Healthcare Field to Work for in 2022
This section provides a detailed list of the best healthcare companies of 2022 and the medical care they offer. If you are still unsure about where to start your healthcare career, keep reading to learn about some of the biggest companies in the health care industry and learn what it would be like to work for them.
- Annual Revenue: $268.7 billion
- Number of Employees: 300,000
- Headquarters: Woonsocket, Rhode Island
CVS Health is a healthcare provider based in the United States that offers pharmacy, health, and wellness services, health plans, virtual care, and prescription drug coverage. CVS is ranked fourth on the 2021 Fortune 500 list.
Why Is CVS Health a Good Place to Work?
Working at a major company like CVS Health is a great career opportunity for healthcare professionals. According to PayScale, CVS employees receive an average wage of $16.20 per hour. Glassdoor reviews show that employees appreciate the flexible schedules offered at CVS Health.
- Annual Revenue: $257.1 billion
- Number of Employees: 340,000
- Headquarters: Minnetonka, Minnesota
UnitedHealth Group is a healthcare company that offers healthcare products and provides insurance. This company is ranked 21st on Forbes’ Global 2000 list of the world’s largest public companies.
Why Is UnitedHealth Group a Good Place to Work?
The average annual salary of a UnitedHealth Group employee is $124,340, or $59 per hour. According to several reviews on Glassdoor, employees love the work-life balance the company offers, as well as the option to work remotely.
- Annual Revenue: $238.2 billion
- Number of Employees: 80,000
- Headquarters: Irving, Texas
McKesson is a pharmaceutical and medical supply distribution company. It also provides health information technology. McKesson is ranked seventh on the Fortune 500 list for 2021.
Why Is McKesson a Good Place to Work?
McKesson employees are well-paid. According to PayScale, the average annual salary of a McKesson employee is $91,000 plus a $15,000 average annual bonus. In reviews on Glassdoor, employees have expressed their appreciation of the work-life balance at the company.
- Annual Revenue: $213.9 billion
- Number of Employees: 41,000
- Headquarters: Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
AmerisourceBergen is a pharmaceutical distribution company that was established in 2001. It also provides manufacturer and animal health solutions. The company ranked eighth on the 2021 Fortune 500 list.
Why Is AmerisourceBergen a Good Place to Work?
AmerisourceBergen employees receive an average salary of $79,000 per year and an average yearly bonus of $5,000. Employees have said in Glassdoor reviews that they love the generous benefits offered at the company.
- Annual Revenue: $162.5 billion
- Number of Employees: 47,300
- Headquarters: Dublin, Ohio
Cardinal Health distributes medical and pharmaceutical products at 700 locations in 36 countries. Besides medicine, the company also manufactures surgical and medical products like gloves and surgical apparel.
Why Is Cardinal Health a Good Place to Work?
The company offers generous benefits to its employees. According to PayScale, the average annual salary of Cardinal Health employees is $81,000 and they also receive an average yearly bonus of $12,000. Aside from the benefits, employees also mentioned in Glassdoor reviews that they enjoy the work-life balance provided by the company.
- Annual Revenue: $160.4 billion
- Number of Employees: 70,000
- Headquarters: Bloomfield, Connecticut
Cigna is an insurance company that offers health insurance plans including life insurance, accident insurance, dental insurance, and Medicare. The company primarily operates within the US.
Why Is Cigna a Good Place to Work?
Employees at Cigna Corporation earn an average annual salary of $77,000 and an average yearly bonus of $6,000, according to PayScale. Several reviews on Glassdoor noted that the insurer provides great benefits, a fair work-life balance, and flexible schedules.
- Annual Revenue: $121.8 billion
- Number of Employees: 83,400
- Headquarters: Indianapolis, Indiana
Anthem is a health insurance company with over 40 million customers in the US. It offers plans for Medicare and Medicaid, as well as options for small businesses, families, and individuals. Customers can choose plans that include health, dental, and vision insurance.
Why Is Anthem a Good Place to Work?
Former and current Anthem employees said in reviews left on Glassdoor that they appreciate the generous benefits the company offers and the job training it provides. They also love that Anthem offers work-from-home jobs. The average annual salary of an Anthem employee is $81,000 with an average annual bonus of $6,000.
- Annual Revenue: $111.1 billion
- Number of Employees: 71,300
- Headquarters: St. Louis, Missouri
Centene is a managed healthcare company. It functions as an intermediary for government healthcare programs, overseeing Medicare, Medicaid, and others.
Why Is Centene Corporation a Good Place to Work?
Employees at Centene earn an average salary of $74,000 according to PayScale. Several employee reviews on Glassdoor mentioned that the company provides good benefits, opportunities for career growth, and a fair work-life balance.
Johnson & Johnson
- Annual Revenue: $82.5 billion
- Number of Employees: 130,000
- Headquarters: New Brunswick, New Jersey
Johnson & Johnson is a multinational corporation that provides medical services and sells pharmaceuticals, consumer products, medical devices, and healthcare services.
Why Is Johnson & Johnson a Good Place to Work?
J&J offers a competitive average salary of $97,000 per year and an average yearly bonus of $10,000. Glassdoor reviews show that the company promotes a positive working environment and that its employees also enjoy great benefits.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
PRA Health Sciences
- Annual Revenue: $3.2 billion
- Number of Employees: 7,350
- Headquarters: Raleigh, North Carolina
PRA Health Sciences is a contract research organization that develops pharmaceuticals through clinical trials. This includes careful data management, drug development consultation, and medical writing.
Why Is PRA Health Sciences a Good Place to Work?
PRA Health Sciences offers competitive salaries and generous benefits to its employees. According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees of the company receive good benefits. The reviews also point out that PRA Health Sciences promotes a positive work environment and an even work-life balance.
Is It Hard to Get a Job in the Healthcare Field?
Healthcare is an important industry because, for most people, health is a priority. Because of this, healthcare companies are very careful about who they hire. When you come across job postings in the medical field, be aware that you will need to prove that you have the qualifications for the position.
Should You Work in the Healthcare Field?
As the COVID-19 pandemic drags on, the demand for healthcare workers and medical professionals has risen. This means it’s a great time to start your career in healthcare. If you want to make a positive impact on people’s lives, a career in the healthcare field would be perfect.
Best Healthcare Companies FAQ
What are some examples of jobs in the healthcare industry?
Some common health-related jobs are nursing assistant, registered nurse, medical assistant, physical therapist, surgeon, psychiatrist, pediatrician, dentist, and optometrist. Your job will depend on your area of specialization.
What are the benefits of a healthcare job?
Most jobs in healthcare come with a competitive salary and generous monetary benefits.
Are healthcare jobs in demand?
According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the number of jobs available in healthcare is expected to grow by 16% between 2020 and 2030.
How much does a physician make?
According to PayScale, a physician makes an average annual salary of $155,726. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, physicians have a mean annual salary of $208,000 per year. This may vary based on experience.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.