Baker College is a well-known private college that has several online programs for students who are looking for flexible learning modalities or simply prefer online learning. Students interested in this school will benefit from as much information as possible, so looking at a Baker College Online review (or several) will be useful. The last thing you want your school to be is a waste of time, and we’re here to help you make the best decision possible.
In this article, we discuss Baker College Online rankings in various categories. We’ll also share Baker College Online accreditation information so you can be sure you’re getting a quality education. Interested in Baker College Online’s cost? We’ve got that too. We’ll also touch on student reviews, financial aid options, and the most popular online degree programs. Read on to learn about everything you need to know about Baker College Online.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
All About Baker College Online
Baker College first opened in 1965 upon the merging of two schools named Muskegon College and Baker Business University. In 1994, the college started offering online classes to students all over the United States and several foreign countries. By 2005, Baker College reached a record enrollment of 34,000 and received several awards and accreditations.
Today, Baker College has a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate programs available in eight academic colleges. It is one of many private colleges offering immersive, hands-on learning to thousands of students across Michigan and throughout the United States through its online degree programs.
Where Is Baker College Online Located?
Baker College’s main campus is located in Owosso, Michigan. Aside from that, it also has several campuses across Michigan, such as in Auburn Hills, Cadillac, and Jackson. The distance of campuses should not be too big of a concern if you are looking to learn online, as requirements to show up should not frequently happen, if at all.
Is Baker College Online Accredited?
Yes, Baker College Online is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The school also has specialized accreditations for many of its programs and degrees, such as in Business Administration, Health Sciences, and Engineering and Technology. On top of that, Baker College is also approved by the Midwestern Higher Education Compact.
Is Baker College Online Legit?
Yes, Baker College Online is legit. It is a well-known private, not-for-profit school with several accreditations and many degree programs. This school also has received several national rankings and recognitions throughout its history, which we will detail later in this article.
Baker College Online Student Reviews
On the Niche college review board, Baker College has 281 reviews and an overall rating of four stars. The reviews are a mix of online and on-campus students, and most of the reviews speak of helpful staff and knowledgeable instructors. Some reviews speak of small class sizes. There are a few reviews that mentioned difficulty when it comes to transferring earned credit hours to other schools.
On GradReports.com, there are 112 reviews on Baker College Online from online graduates specifically. Baker College, however, seems to have more of a bad reputation among these reviews, as they speak of unsatisfactory curriculum and unhelpful instructors. Like the Niche reviews, the reviews here also spoke of the difficulty in trying to transfer credits.
However, some reviews say that Baker College Online was a good experience with career counseling and tutoring services, and students must simply have self-discipline because the online learning method is not for everyone.
Baker College Online Better Business Bureau Reviews and Complaints
Baker College’s business profile on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) has zero customer reviews and one customer complaint. The customer complaint was a billing issue type and has already been resolved. Aside from that, Baker College is rated A+ by BBB but is not BBB accredited.
Baker College Online Rankings
Baker College Online holds rankings from US News & World Report and Times Higher Education, which help students figure out more about the quality of education prospective schools provide. Below, we go into more detail about Baker College Online rankings and placement when compared to other colleges and major universities.
Baker College Online US News & World Report Ranking
Baker College is ranked #119-#157 in Regional Universities Midwest by US News & World Report. This means that Baker College is one of the best private institutions and online schools in the area. On top of that, the school is also ranked #12 in Top Performers on Social Mobility and #216-#239 in Engineering Programs Without a Doctorate.
Baker College Online Times Higher Education Ranking
Baker College ranked greater than #800 in the US College Rankings 2019 from Times Higher Education (THE). THE only publicly reveals the specific rankings of those in the top 500, so Baker College being ranked over #800 is the only hint of specific ranking. It ranked over #800 in all four pillars THE considers as factors in ranking, Resources, Engagement, Outcomes, and Environment.
Baker College Online Graduation Rate
The overall graduation rate of Baker College is 21 percent, which is quite low for colleges and universities as a whole. It is also lower than the average graduation rate for private nonprofit institutions, which is 68 percent.
Baker College Online Admissions
The admissions and application process of Baker College Online is simple. Prospective students complete an online application and send their official transcripts. The school’s admissions team then reviews the application, GPA, and general background of each student. If the admissions team needs more information, they will call, text, or send an email to the student.
Baker College Online Acceptance Rate
According to NCES, Baker College had an acceptance rate of 41 percent in fall 2021. It is somewhat low, meaning that admission may be competitive. However, this isn’t a drastically low percentage, so getting in may not be overwhelmingly grueling as long as you are above average in terms of academic performance.
Will You Get Into Baker College Online?
Yes, you will probably get into Baker College Online as long as you have a history of above-average academic performance and complete the entire application process on time. Their admissions process is competitive, but not intensely selective, so getting in shouldn’t be too difficult unless you have bad academic performance or other issues such as past felonies.
How to Apply to Baker College Online
- Create an account for the Baker College Online application. You will have to register and log in to start filling out an online application.
- Fill out and complete the application. The online application consists of basic questions regarding your personal information, which major you’re interested in, and your military affiliations, if applicable.
- Send the college a copy of your official transcripts or GED. You can send your copy electronically or through snail mail, although Baker College prefers the electronic method.
- Wait for any further contact from the school. The school may call, text, or email you regarding further questions or to inform you of your acceptance. Make sure to keep an eye out.
Baker College Online Cost
|Expense||Baker College Online Cost|
|Baker College Online Undergraduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$12,420|
|Baker College Online Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||$12,420|
|Baker College Online Graduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$12,510|
|Baker College Online Graduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||$12,510|
|Baker College Online Books and Supplies||$1,000|
|Baker College Online On-Campus Room and Board||$6,400|
|Baker College Online Off-Campus Room and Board||$8,000|
The Baker College Online cost of room and board is lower than average. The average cost of room and board for four-year colleges is around $9,000 to $12,000, so in comparison, Baker College’s cost is quite affordable. Meanwhile, the cost of books and supplies is about average.
Baker College Online’s tuition costs are the same for in-state and out-of-state students, which is quite affordable for out-of-state students. However, in-state students may find that the tuition cost is slightly higher than average, but it’s not too big of a difference.
Cost of Living in Auburn Hills, Michigan
One of Baker College’s campuses is located in Auburn Hills, Michigan. According to PayScale, the cost of living in Auburn Hills is lower than the national average by 8 percent. Housing costs are lower by 41 percent and utilities by 7 percent, but grocery costs are higher by 1 percent and healthcare costs by 9 percent.
Overall, for low-income students, living in this area and attending this campus may be more affordable than other options. For online students, the location also should not be a problem, as they can take part in their online courses from wherever they may be living.
Baker College Online Financial Aid
According to NCES, 96 percent of full-time beginning undergraduate students at Baker College got financial aid in 2020-2021. This includes grants or scholarships from both the school and the state or federal government. Meanwhile, 4,392 undergraduate students received a total amount of over $24 million. The average aid received by a single student was around $5,534.
Financial aid available to Baker College Online students ranges from federal loans and grants to scholarships. The school also has benefit programs for people who served or are currently serving in the military, thanks to the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense. Below, we’ll go into more detail about five scholarships that can help low-income students.
Baker College Online Scholarships
- Dean’s Scholarship. The Dean’s Scholarship offered by Baker College Online provides $1,500 per semester for up to four years. The scholarship is for graduating high school seniors, and the student must have a GPA of at least 3.0 to qualify. They may also instead have at least a 980 SAT score or 19 ACT score.
- Regents Scholarship. The Regents Scholarship is similar to the Dean’s Scholarship, but with higher requirements and a higher amount given to students. Recipients of the Regents Scholarship will receive $3,000 per semester for up to four years. Candidates for this scholarship must have a 3.5 GPA in high school or a 1060 SAT or 21 ACT score.
- Presidential Scholarship. The Presidential Scholarship is given to five graduating high school students who have at least a 3.8 GPA or a 1390 SAT score or 30 ACT score. The applicants must also submit a scholarship application and a written essay. The scholarship covers full tuition for up to four years.
- BakerProud Scholarship. The BakerProud Scholarship awards $1000 per semester and is non-renewable, so you’ll have to reapply for each award. To qualify, you must be a current student who earned a minimum of 28 credit hours and has attained a minimum of 3.0 GPA. Qualified students may only receive this scholarship if they’re not receiving any other Baker College scholarship.
- Leadership Scholarship. The Leadership Scholarship is awarded to 10 current community leaders that have a minimum of 3.0 GPA. Students must be providing service or leadership to any community organization or working full-time while handling educational obligations to qualify. The scholarship awards $2,500 and is non-renewable.
Baker College Online Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
According to the US Department of Education’s College Scorecard, the average median earnings of Baker College graduates is $32,717. This is based on the data collected from the earnings of past students who also received financial aid while enrolled in Baker College.
Baker College’s online graduates’ median earnings are lower than the average median earnings of college graduates of four-year schools and colleges in general, which is $47,891. On top of these statistics, only 46 percent of the college graduates of Baker College Online earn more than working high school graduates.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Baker College Online Notable Alumni
Two of Baker College’s notable alumni are Angela Medley and Dr. Ralph Griffith. Angela Medley is a family law attorney and a managing partner of Polizzi & Medley Law, who was named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers. Dr. Ralph Griffith is a doctoral degree alumnus of Baker College Online who is a professor of entrepreneurship and a program coordinator of an MBA program.
Baker College Online Campus Life
If you happen to live near any one of Baker College’s physical campuses, you can enjoy its rich campus life. At Baker College, there are all sorts of clubs, intramural sports, and social and recreational activities. Student housing is also offered on the Baker College campuses of Cadillac, Muskegon, Owosso, and Port Huron. On top of that, all campuses have a college campus safety office focused on keeping students, staff, and guests safe and ensuring that everyone is in a comfortable environment.
Students can also join various councils and clubs, such as the Student Life Leadership Council, which works to plan and lead campus events and showcase them via social media. Each campus has different clubs. Some of these clubs are the Cyber Defense Club, the Automotive/Diesel Club, and the Student Nurses Association. Even online students get the opportunity to join clubs, such as the Baker College Business Club and the Human Service Student Club.
Baker College Online Academics
Baker College offers a total of 68 programs of varying levels, fields, and formats. Most of its programs are offered in three formats, Baker Online, Online Live, and On-campus. Baker Online is fully flexible, with no set meeting times. Online Live is scheduled and has live, real-time online classes and sessions with eight-week or 16-week semesters.
Baker College’s offerings vary from associate degrees to graduate programs that broaden students’ knowledge and career opportunities. Some of their most in-demand degree programs are in the fields of business, education, IT and engineering, nursing, and liberal arts. Baker College also has career services to help students attain various career goals upon graduation.
Baker College Online Colleges and Departments
|School or Department Name||Available Program Examples|
|College of Health Science||Associate Degree in Health Information Technology, Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare Administration|
|College of Business||Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Master’s Degree in Business Administration|
|College of Information Technology and Engineering||Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science-Data Analytics, Master’s Degree in Information Systems|
|School of Nursing||Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, Master’s Degree in Nursing Administration|
|School of Occupational Therapy||Bachelor’s Degree in Pre-Occupational Therapy, Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy|
|College of Social Science||Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Master’s Degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology|
|College of Liberal Arts and Sciences||Associate Degree in General Studies, Bachelor’s Degree in General Studies|
|College of Education||Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education, Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education|
Baker College Online Faculty
Baker College Online’s faculty consists of experienced instructors with solid backgrounds in their fields. Class sizes are small, so professors tend to give good attention to each student, thus producing quality learning.
On RateMyProfessors.com, Baker College Online has an overall rating of 3.1, and several students have left a Baker College Online review. Students have mixed opinions about the professors, with some poor reviews saying they’re unhelpful or unknowledgeable. A few positive ones say that the professors are extremely helpful and considerate.
Popular Baker College Online Majors
There are many Baker College Online majors for each college student to focus their studies on. Students can also choose from various degree levels, from associate degrees to doctoral degrees. Below, we discuss more details on majors that are popular at Baker College Online.
Baker College Online Business Administration
Baker College Online’s business administration program offerings range from bachelor’s to doctoral degrees. You can also opt for accelerated courses when earning your Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration. Most of Baker College Online’s business administration programs are accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE).
Baker College Online Business Administration Jobs
- Business consultant. Business consultants analyze practices and identify the weaknesses of organizations and companies. They help businesses by recommending solutions to help solve various organizational issues.
- Franchising manager. Franchising managers oversee and plan the franchising department of a business. They have to review contracts, process renewals, and enforce various business policies and procedures in business franchises.
- Office administrator. Office administrators are one of the most common jobs in the business field. They complete various administrative tasks in the office, such as organizing operations, overseeing correspondence, and preparing payroll.
Baker College Online Human Resource Management
Baker College Online’s Human Resource Management program professors are well-experienced in their field. Students receive a well-rounded education in HR management and learn various skills and concepts such as training and development, recruitment, and evaluation. The IACBE accredits all the HR Management programs at Baker College Online.
Baker College Online Human Resource Management Jobs
- Human resource manager. Human resource (HR) managers oversee the HR functions of an organization. They enforce employment laws, ensure that compensation and benefits programs are competitive, and oversee the management of employee relationships. They are usually experienced in the industry.
- Benefits manager. Benefits managers design benefits programs and packages for an organization. They ensure that every aspect of it is fair for the employees and that it meets various employment law standards. Some of the programs they handle include health insurance programs, wellness programs, and retirement options.
- Employee relations manager. Employee relations managers oversee the relationships between employees within a company. They address employee grievances, mediate conflicts, and assist managers with building relationships and camaraderie among employees.
Baker College Online Accounting
Students can enroll in this bachelor’s level program to break into the accounting industry and be eligible for the Uniform Certified Public Accountant Examination in Michigan. Meanwhile, experienced professionals can enroll in the school’s master’s degree programs to further their career opportunities and step closer to their career goals.
Baker College Online Accounting Jobs
- Actuary. Actuaries manage risks for organizations. They use various analytical tools to create actuarial tables that assess the risks of a company’s activities. Many actuaries work for insurance companies and help them manage their insurance plans according to each individual or corporation’s risks.
- Financial modeler. Financial modelers usually work under large investment firms. They create financial models that represent various business transactions and help investors look at where their money goes and observe market fluctuations.
- Investment adviser. Investment advisers help their clients analyze and take investment opportunities. They are consultants that assist organizations and individuals with weighing the value of investment opportunities and deciding where their clients should invest their money.
Baker College Online Computer Science
The Computer Science programs at Baker College are available at the bachelor’s degree level, and students can choose from two concentrations. They may choose Computer Programming or Computer Science. The programs are taught by industry professionals and require 120 credit hours to complete.
Baker College Online Computer Science Jobs
- Software developer. Software developers create and develop software programs meant to perform specific tasks. They oversee the whole development, testing, and maintenance phases of software and are fluent in various coding languages to write code for the programs.
- Database administrator. Database administrators are paid well and handle the data needs of their clients. They develop and improve various databases or data resources for their clients to keep critical information safe in storage. They ensure the maintenance of these databases and adjust them according to the needs of their clients.
- Computer systems analyst. Computer systems analysts oversee and analyze computer systems to spot weaknesses. They recommend changes to hardware and software to help the organization improve its efficiency.
Baker College Online Healthcare Administration
Baker College has one bachelor’s degree program in Healthcare Administration, which equips students with the skills to manage various aspects of healthcare services. The program requires 120 credit hours to complete, and classes are available online. Students study healthcare administration and biology and must also complete an externship, which is similar to an internship, but students shadow employees instead of performing all the work themselves.
Baker College Online Healthcare Administration Jobs
- Healthcare consultant. Healthcare consultants work with healthcare facilities to create solutions and conduct research. They oversee and ensure insurance compliance and patient confidentiality.
- Clinical supervisor. Clinical supervisors maintain employee schedules and handle clinical records. They also enforce quality standards and supervise the efficiency of employees and the delegation of tasks.
- Medical billing manager. Medical billing managers handle the paperwork for various healthcare organizations, ensure medical codes are being used correctly for billing, and track patient payments. They also recruit employees in their billing department.
Is Baker College Online Worth It?
Yes, Baker College Online is worth it because of the flexibility and convenience offered by its online format. The programs are good, and there is a wide range of majors and degree levels, making it a good school to go to. Overall, it is a good private college that can help you gain the education you need for various fields of study.
Baker College Online Review FAQ
Yes, you can get both federal and private loans to help pay for Baker College Online’s tuition. There are various types of financial aid available to you while studying at this college.
No, not all programs of Baker College are available through the online platform. Other programs may only be offered on campus. However, the majority of programs do have an online option.
No, there is no interview needed to get into Baker College Online. The admissions page does not mention any interview process. Students only have to apply and submit the required documents.
Yes, Baker College Online has good career services. The Handshake program, for example, which connects employers to students who perform with excellence, can significantly help graduates with the job search part of their career journey.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.