Cryptocurrency is a type of digital currency made up of digital assets that exist online. Blockchain technology is fairly new, yet it has transformed the world of transactions. The best crypto startups have taken advantage of the explosive growth of cryptocurrency, breaking into the blockchain industry and acquiring millions of users along the way.
Despite the unexpected volatility in crypto prices, crypto startups raised $25 billion in 2021, according to a report by CNBC. The recent popularity of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) has further increased the interest of investors in cryptocurrencies, predicting crypto as the future of finance. The growing market size of the blockchain industry is a trend that is expected to continue.
In this article, we have researched and listed the top crypto startup companies around the world. If you have an interest in virtual worlds and crypto investing, or want to work for a blockchain application platform, read on.
What Are Crypto Startup Companies?
Cryptocurrency startup companies are based on blockchain technology, which allows digital asset exchange. Companies may specialize in financial technology, cryptocurrency mining, or other similar concepts within a digital asset ecosystem. These companies allow people to transfer a fund with a minimal fee, and the transactions are secured by cryptography.
The blockchain industry has various opportunities for aspiring startups, as the blockchain technology market is expected to grow to over $39 billion in valuation by 2025, according to Statista. After you’ve learned blockchain technology, all you have to do is analyze the market and find growth potential for your creative crypto startup ideas.
Top Crypto Companies That Began As Startups
Many popular cryptocurrency companies started their journey as startups. The companies slowly experienced success and are now making millions of dollars in profits. The founders, workers, and the crypto industry all benefit from these companies’ rapid growth. Their success has increased the demand and popularity of cryptocurrency among the public.
Big Crypto Companies
- Coinbase Global, Inc.
- Bit Mining Limited
- SOS Limited
- Riot Blockchain, Inc.
- Bitfarms LTD
The Best Crypto Startup Companies
|Company Name||Location||Funding||Estimated Number of Employees|
|Alchemy Pay||Singapore, SG||N/A||11-50|
|Anchorage||San Francisco, California||$487M||101-250|
|CoinList||San Francisco, California||$119.2M||11-50|
|CoinSwitch Kuber||Banglore, India||$300.6M||101-250|
|Provenance Blockchain||San Francisco, California||$40M||1-10|
|Quadency||New York, United States||$1M||11-50|
|Securitize||San Francisco, California||$100.2M||51-100|
|Zerion||San Francisco, California||$10.2M||11-50|
The Top Crypto Startups: A Closer Look
- Founded: 2018
- Funding: N/A
Alchemy Pay was founded in Singapore, and it has been promoting the adoption of cryptocurrency around the world. It uses a fiat-crypto payment system with access to web3 services. The user base covers over 70 countries and over 300 payment channels. Businesses can accept payments via digital wallets, cryptocurrencies, and credit cards using Alchemy Pay.
- Founded: 2017
- Funding: $487M
Anchorage is a digital asset trading platform for investors to secure crypto custody, lending, trading, skating, and governance. It is a full-service financial platform and infrastructure provider for digital assets. Anchorage promotes custody and banking financial solutions for institutions through the modern security engineering of crypto infrastructure.
- Founded: 2017
- Funding: $119.2M
CoinList is a blockchain infrastructure platform that finds emerging blockchain projects and helps them succeed by issuing new tokens. It allows blue-chip projects to connect with new token holders.
Recently, it has started providing open and collaborative digital credential data and NFTs to web3 developers through Project Galaxy. Over 800,000 web3 developers have joined Project Galaxy to use the credential data.
- Founded: 2017
- Funding: $300.6M
CoinSwitch Kuber is a crypto trading platform that allows users to buy and sell cryptocurrencies. The decentralized platform has more than 80 cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin and Ethereum, the two most popular cryptocurrencies. It is a secure and user-friendly platform with over 15 million registered users trading at the best prices offered by CoinSwitch Kuber.
- Founded: 2018
- Funding: $40M
Provenance Blockchain provides blockchain solutions for faster, cost-effective ways to complete financial transactions. It offers a blockchain wallet that enables users to store their private encryption key on their local devices for the transfer of any fund.
More than 50 financial institutions presently use Provenance Blockchain as active traders, and over $3 billion in financial transactions have been conducted. It has been supporting the financial service industry through its exchanges across multiple alternative assets.
- Founded: 2018
- Funding: $1M
Quadency provides an easy-to-use trading platform that is suitable for beginners and advanced traders alike. It connects traders to the major crypto exchange, giving them access to over 1,500 digital assets. It provides secure exchange accounts through different security measures, such as API keys, blockchain wallets, and passwords.
Quadency’s business strategy is to help traders access seamless trading at lower costs to make blockchain accessible to a wider user base.
- Founded: 2017
- Funding: $100.2M
Securitize is a pioneer in providing digital securities. It provides financial services technology and digital securities through a digital end-to-end marketplace. It connects issuers and investors on its secure trading platform, with $0 commissions on investment and trade.
- Founded: 2017
- Funding: $30.2M
Solve.Care is a healthcare blockchain technology company that seeks to solve complex problems in the healthcare industry and reduce healthcare costs. It operates worldwide, with offices in the US, UK, South Korea, Estonia, and India. Solve.Care uses smart blockchain contracts and is favored by consumers and businesses.
- Founded: 2020
- Funding: N/A
VaultLink allows banks to offer crypto-asset services to their customers. Customers can convert a traditional currency to cryptocurrency through their bank and receive real-time payments. It provides a secure API that operates with core banking software, which means users don’t have to switch from the banking environment to the blockchain space for access to blockchain capital.
- Founded: 2016
- Funding: $10.2M
Zerion is a decentralized application that provides a platform to build and manage your decentralized finance (DeFi) portfolios. It allows users to explore the crypto market by searching for and evaluating digital currencies. Tracking your portfolio in real time has become even easier now that the Zerion mobile application is globally available, with over ten languages supported.
Benefits of Working at a Crypto Startup
From the growth of Bitcoin to the NFT boom, blockchain startups have been increasing in number. The industry is backed by notable investors, and as crypto investments increase, employees have larger opportunities for promotions and career growth. Below are a few reasons why job seekers should choose a crypto startup.
Top 5 Reasons to Work at a Crypto Startup
- Flexibility. There aren’t many strict work policies, promoting a better work-life balance. Since most of the work is related to computing, employees can also work remotely.
- Competitive salaries. Due to the high chances of success in the crypto markets, workers can expect better salaries and raises. The profit-sharing arrangements of the business model favored by cryptocurrency startups are also beneficial.
- Technological skills. Instead of being limited to your job responsibilities, you will be working on a variety of interesting projects. This will introduce you to new technologies and help you enhance your skills to manage cryptocurrency exchange platforms.
- Job performance. Since crypto startup companies often have few employees, some people get to work individually on projects. It allows them to receive direct rewards for their efforts, and some people can get promoted to executive positions sooner.
- Visible impact. Your collaboration and work will be highly visible in the organization. The company will provide feedback for you to improve and grow in your career. It can be an effective learning experience that promotes job satisfaction.
Can a Coding Bootcamp Help Me Get a Job at a Crypto Startup?
Yes, a coding bootcamp is a quick and efficient way to land a job in the best crypto startups. The best cryptocurrency bootcamps teach you the required skills to land a major position at a tech company. Recruiters know that bootcamp graduates are high performers, so many employers prefer bootcamp graduates for their blockchain company.
Top Bootcamps With Crypto Programs
- Galvanize. It provides the top online bootcamp courses for software engineering. The full-time bootcamp takes 12 weeks to complete, and a 36-week part-time course is also available.
- CodeBoxx. It offers a 16-week business-oriented coding bootcamp for people to start their developer careers. Both on-campus and full-time online courses are available.
- Columbia Business School. It is part of Columbia University and offers courses designed for gaining an understanding of blockchain concepts. The bootcamp helps people learn essential skills to catch on with a crypto company.
- MIT Professional Education. It offers a wide range of courses, including cyber security, artificial intelligence, blockchain, and much more. Its programs are created to help people understand the current trends and opportunities in the blockchain industry.
- Holberton School. This program is designed to teach students the basic skills and understanding of software engineering. It has 13 campuses across the US and abroad, and the courses can take up to two years to complete.
Common Jobs in Crypto
- Data Scientist: A data scientist works with a vast amount of data to help solve real-world problems. If you become a data scientist, you will use data science strategies to generate insights and predict the future outcomes of cryptocurrencies.
- Machine Learning Engineer: Both stock and crypto markets use machine learning algorithms for trading. Machine learning engineers solve problems related to security, utilization, and efficiency on any given blockchain platform.
- Web Developer: A web developer plays a crucial role in all crypto companies, as they create and work on the blockchain system. They set the foundation of the blockchain system by creating and interacting with the application.
- Technical Writer: Technical writers provide information on cryptocurrency to an audience. They work on educating people about blockchain technology by explaining the technical procedures in simple terms.
- Cryptocurrency Trader: A cryptocurrency trader monitors the price movements of a currency and buys, sells, or trades crypto assets such as Bitcoin exchange. They deal in the majority of cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ether, and Dogecoin.
Should I Work for a Crypto Startup Company?
Yes, crypto startup companies and their employees have a high potential for success, with cryptocurrency projected to continue growing in the next few years. The best crypto startups allow their workers to explore their respective fields and create an impact through technology. According to Forbes, people working at cryptocurrency exchanges make a lot of money.
People from different educational backgrounds are interested in joining the blockchain industry because all the best jobs at crypto companies provide opportunities for innovation. One of these jobs can help you enhance your knowledge of the new and emerging crypto world.
Best Crypto Startups FAQ
Crypto companies mainly make money by charging transaction fees for the use of their services or products. Some platforms, such as Ethereum, charge a fee when you use their contracts. They also earn money by increasing the value of crypto coins, which in turn increases the return on the owners’ investments.
Crypto wallets allow users to store and use their cryptocurrencies all in one place. They have private keys and passwords that keep your wallet safe and accessible. Many mobile application-based crypto wallets are now available, which has made sending and receiving cryptocurrencies easier.
Research has shown that Vietnam is the fastest crypto-adopting country in the world. According to a report by Chainalysis, crypto is most widely used in Vietnam. This country was ranked tenth in the previous report, but by 2021, it had risen to first place.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
The prices of many cryptocurrencies are predicted to rise in the coming years, leading to a further boost for the crypto markets. Cryptocurrency is transforming traditional finance and has the potential to disrupt the 21st-century economy. As a result of the bright future of crypto, many people are interested in learning cryptocurrency to find success in the blockchain industry.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.