Many of the best cyber security schools in Pennsylvania also happen to be some of the best universities in the country. In this article, we’ve put together a list of our picks for the top cyber security schools in Pennsylvania where you can take the first step towards your career in tech. Our Pennsylvania cyber security school rankings will help you narrow down your best higher education options.
In our detailed list of the best cyber security schools in Pennsylvania, you’ll learn about a wide array of private and public universities offering hands-on training vital for all prospective cyber security professionals. For each school, you’ll find information including the acceptance rate, graduation rate, and US News & World Report ranking, as well as a description of their cyber security programs.
How to Choose a Good Cyber Security School in PA
To choose the best cyber security schools in Pennsylvania, you should consider the cost and fees of the school, the available academic resources, and the internship opportunities offered by the school. Although there are other factors that can affect the quality of your education, the ones detailed below are important elements that should be your priority.
Cost and Fees
The cost and fees for a university program will vary from school to school. While high tuition costs often mean access to newer learning facilities, there are plenty of great cyber security schools in Pennsylvania that charge relatively low tuition. Some schools offer a wider range of financial aid opportunities than others, which can also play a part in determining your tuition.
Another factor you should consider before choosing the cyber security school you’ll attend is the academic resources provided by the school. Some educational institutions offer a wider range of academic resources than others which contributes to creating a more engaging learning experience for students. This is especially the case if you plan on enrolling in an online program.
Some academic programs provide internship opportunities to their students, allowing them to gain vital hands-on experience that better prepares them for their future careers in penetration testing, application security, or security and risk analysis. Before choosing the four-year college you’ll attend, make sure to consider what internship opportunities are made available by it.
PA Cyber Security School Rankings: What Schools Have the Best Cyber Security Programs in PA?
|Cyber Security School
|Top Undergrad Program
|Top Grad Program
|US News Ranking
|Carnegie Mellon University
|Bachelor of Science in Information Science with a concentration in Security and Privacy
|Master of Science in Information Technology – Information Security
|Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus
|Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity Analytics and Operations
|Masters of Science in Information Systems and Technology – Cyber Security focus
|University of Pittsburgh
|Bachelor of Science in Information Sciences: Networks and Security specialization
|Master of Science in Information Science – Information Security
|Bachelor of Science in Computing and Security Technology
|Master of Science in Cybersecurity
|Bachelor of Science in Information Science and Technology
|Master of Science (MS) in Information Technology Auditing and Cyber-Security
|Pennsylvania College of Technology
|Bachelor of Science in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
|Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security
|Master of Science in Cyber Security
|Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania
|Bachelor of Science in Digital Forensics
|Master of Science in Information Technology
|East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania
|Bachelor of Science in Computer Security
|Master of Science in Computer Science
|Harrisburg University of Science and Technology
|Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Sciences
|Master of Science in Computer Information Sciences – Cyber Security
PA Cyber Security Schools Ranking Methodology: How We Ranked the Best Cyber Security Schools in PA
To rank the best cyber security schools in Pennsylvania, we used US News & World Report’s breakdown of the best computer science program as a guide. We also took into consideration the subject-specific rankings conducted by Times Higher Education, as well as factors such as graduation rate, acceptance rate, and affordability.
Best Cyber Security Schools in PA Explained
Below is a detailed breakdown of the best cyber security schools in Pennsylvania which were ranked according to their placement on US News & World Report’s national rankings. For each school, we’ve listed their top academic programs for cyber security as well as other information from a wide array of sources, such as the National Center for Education Statistics, to help you make the right choice.
Best Undergraduate Cyber Security Schools in PA
The best undergraduate cyber security schools in Pennsylvania are found across the state and all provide fantastic opportunities for students to learn the skills and knowledge needed to stand out in the competitive job market. In the section below, you’ll find a breakdown of the best cyber security associate degree and bachelor’s degree schools in Pennsylvania.
Best Cyber Security Associate Degree Schools in PA
- Pennsylvania Highlands Community College | Associate of Applied Science in IT: This associate degree program in cyber security provides students with the skills to manage and secure networks. The program focuses on business and industry technologies and covers various aspects of CompTIA, Linux+, Network+, and Security+.
- Community College of Philadelphia | Associate of Applied Science: This associate degree program is designed for students who are interested in pursuing careers in cyber security. A minimum of 60 credits are required to graduate from this program which prepares students for a wide variety of certification exams.
- Butler County Community College | Associate of Science: This program equips students with real-life cyber protection skills they can apply throughout the course of their career and qualifies them for a number of certifications such as Network+, Security+, and Microsoft Server Pro.
- Lehigh Carbon Community College | Associate of Science in Computer Forensics and Digital Security: This associate degree program from LCCC provides its students with the solid foundation needed to transfer to a four-year school or enter the workforce. The program’s required 64 credits can be completed within two years.
- Northampton Community College | Associate in Applied Science: This 65 to 66-credit degree program gives students the technical knowledge and skills needed to protect computer and network systems. The courses in this program cover cyber security administration, ethical hacking, and the laws and ethics of computer security.
Best Cyber Security Bachelor’s Degree Programs in PA
- Carnegie Mellon University | Bachelor of Science in Information Science with a concentration in Security and Privacy: This bachelor’s degree program exposes its students to the various aspects of security and privacy through courses on applied cryptography, secure software systems, and current legal and privacy security issues.
- The Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania | Bachelor of Science in Digital forensics and cyber Security: This degree program helps students stand out in the job market through courses on key digital forensic and computer security areas such as the use of UNIX and LINUX for digital forensics, malware forensics, and IoT forensics.
- California University of Pennsylvania | Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice; Cyber Forensics Concentration: This four-year bachelor’s program certifies students, who learn how to uncover evidence using computer forensics tools and are introduced to the legal issues surrounding computer security, in CompTIA.
- Drexel University | Bachelor of Science in Computing and Security Technology (BSCST): This program helps students master the technical skills needed to build complex systems that are immune to attacks. Students learn the basics of computing security like cloud security, security risk assessment, and the security of IoT devices.
- Duquesne University | BA Cyber Security Studies: In this program, students learn various cyber security skills such as the evaluation of cyber security needs for organizations and the management of confidential assets. The program uses hands-on projects to teach them how to apply their skills to real-world cyber security issues.
Best Online Associate Degrees
Best Online Bachelor’s Degrees
Best Graduate Schools for Cyber Security in PA
The best graduate cyber security schools in Pennsylvania offer a wide range of master’s and doctoral programs that can adequately prepare you for the highest-paying cyber security jobs available. In the following section, you’ll find a list of the best master’s degree programs and PhD programs for cyber security in Pennsylvania.
Best Schools for Master’s in Cyber Security in PA
- Carnegie Mellon University | Master of Science in Information Security. Second in the world for computer science programs according to US News, Carnegie Mellon University offers a Master of Science in Information Security perfect for any aspiring cyber security professional.
- Pennsylvania State University| Master of Science in Cybersecurity Analytics and Operation. This is a 30-credit, 24-month-long master’s program that equips students with the skills necessary to work as cyber security professionals specializing in analytics or operations.
- Drexel University | Master of Science in Cybersecurity. Drexel University’s College of Engineering offers an outstanding master’s degree program in cyber security. The program prepares students to evolve along with the newest developments in the field.
- Temple University | Professional Science Masters in Cyber Defense and Information Assurance. Temple University is one of the leading institutions offering cyber security programs. Its Professional Science Master’s in Cyber Defense and Information Assurance Program examines the global impact of information security.
- Desales University | Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management. Desales University is a leading public institution that offers graduate programs in various areas including cyber security. It offers an exclusive Master of Cybersecurity Management through its Department of Computer Science.
Best PhD in Cyber Security Universities in PA
- University of Pennsylvania | PhD in Computer and Information Science. This PhD in Computer and Information Science offers its students various research opportunities in areas like computer security, computer systems, and computer vision. Students are expected to complete the course requirement, thesis proposal, and defense to graduate.
- University of Pittsburgh | PhD in Computer Science. This PhD program requires 72 credit hours of coursework and dissertation research to earn. Students in the program perform several levels of research that help increase their knowledge of the field of computer science.
- Pennsylvania State University | PhD in Computer Science and Engineering. Pennsylvania State University is among the top 100 universities in the United States. Penn State’s PhD program in Computer Science and Engineering contains high-level research-oriented courses in the areas of systems, network, and computer security.
- Drexel University | PhD in Cybersecurity. This PhD in Cybersecurity is packed with several concentration options in the areas of communication, controls, and systems modeling and analysis. Students in this program develop strong research and analysis skills.
- Temple University | PhD in Computer and Information Science. Students in this doctoral program work closely with faculty and assist them in carrying out their research. The program’s Computer and Network Systems concentration has courses in computer and network security.
Best Online Master’s Degrees
Best Online PhD Programs
Admission Requirements for Cyber Security Schools in PA
The basic admission requirements for cyber security schools in Pennsylvania are different for undergraduates and graduate students. The admission requirements for undergraduates include submitting your SAT or ACT scores, official transcript, and letters of recommendation. Graduate applicants need a computer science bachelor’s, a competitive GPA, and a letter of intent.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Cyber Security Schools in PA: Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- A minimum SAT score of 980 or a minimum ACT score of 19
- Your official transcripts
- Letters of recommendation
- An admissions essay
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- A competitive GPA
Cyber Security Schools in PA: Graduate Admission Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- The completion of prerequisite courses
- Your official college transcripts
- Letters of recommendation
- A letter of intent
- A copy of your resume
Is It Hard to Get Into a School for Cyber Security in PA?
Yes, it is hard to get into a school for cyber security in Pennsylvania as it’s home to some of the best schools in the country, many of which have a very strict application process. A few schools have an open admission policy but keep in mind that a degree from one of them often carries less worth in the market. Below are the easiest cyber security schools in Pennsylvania.
Easiest Colleges to Get Into in PA for Cyber Security
- Pennsylvania College of Technology | Acceptance Rate: 100%. Pennsylvania Tech has an open admission policy, meaning that all students who apply to this school are accepted. The school is well known for its engineering, computer and information sciences, and registered nursing programs.
- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology | Acceptance Rate: 100%: The Harrisburg University of Science and technology has an open admission policy and offers fantastic programs in majors like computer and information sciences, environmental sciences, and natural sciences.
- East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania | Acceptance Rate: 91%. The East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania doesn’t have an open admission policy but it has one of the highest acceptance rates in the states. Some of the most popular programs it offers are in the fields of business administration, psychology, and criminal justice.
- Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania | Acceptance Rate: 89%. Although the Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania doesn’t have an open admission policy, it does have a very high acceptance rate. The institution offers degree programs in majors such as computer science, business administration, and criminal justice.
- Mercyhurst University | Acceptance Rate: 88%. Mercyhurst University is one of the easiest schools in Pennsylvania to get into. Some of the most popular programs offered at Mercyhurst are in the fields of accounting, applied forensic science, and criminal justice administration.
How to Get Into the Best Colleges and Universities
Best Online Schools for Cyber Security in PA
The best online schools for cyber security in Pennsylvania are Franklin University, Drexel University, Immaculata University, Temple University, and La Salle University. These schools all offer fantastic undergraduate or graduate programs that offer a more flexible learning experience. The graduates listed below were sourced from the National Center for Education Statistics.
|Top Online Cyber Security Program
|Master of Science in Cyber Security Online Degree
|Masters of Science in Cyber Security
|Associate Degree in Cyber Security
|Professional Science Master’s in Cyber Defense and Information Assurance
|La Salle University
|Master of Science in Cyber Security
The Most Affordable Colleges for Cyber Security in PA
The most affordable colleges for cyber security in Pennsylvania are the Harrisburg University of Science and Technology, East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania College of Technology, and the University of Pittsburgh.
How to Attend the Top Cyber Security Schools in PA With Financial Aid
To attend the top cyber security schools in Pennsylvania with financial aid, students can apply for a wide array of federal and state funding opportunities such as Pell grants, work-study programs, scholarships, and loans. In addition to completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid, students can take advantage of the scholarships listed below to reduce their cost of tuition.
Best Cyber Security Scholarships for PA Students
- Federal Cyber Corp Scholarship for Service | Amount: $25,000. This award is designed to turn information security students at Penn State into professionals that can handle the next generation of cybersecurity responsibilities. Students who receive the scholarship must agree to work in a cyber security position for a government agency.
- PA State Grant Program | Amount: $500 to $5,000. This grant is available to high school graduate students who are residents of the state and are at least 18 years old. The amount of aid given is dependent on the student’s level of need which is calculated using a large number of different factors such as their household income.
- AT&T STEM Award | Amount: $1,000. With the goal of improving Pennsylvania’s workforce in technological and energy industries, AT&T assists STEM students through this award. Applicants must be Pennsylvania residents enrolled in a STEM program on a full-time basis at one of the 14 Pennsylvania State System universities.
PA Employment Outlook for Cyber Security
The overall Pennsylvania employment outlook for cyber security analyst positions is extremely positive with a projected growth of 32.5 percent from 2020 to 2030, according to the Projections Managing Partnership. It estimates that, on average, there will be 370 new job opportunities each year for cyber security analysts in the state of Pennsylvania.
As the day-to-day operations of most businesses and individuals become increasingly digital, the demand for cyber security analysts will grow accordingly. Analysts are essential to providing solutions that prevent hackers from stealing sensitive company information and causing computer network issues.
Highest-Paying Cyber Security Careers in PA
|Cyber Security Job
|Cyber Security Degree
|Average Salary in PA
|Computer and Information Research Scientist
|Information Security Analyst
|Computer Systems Analyst
Best Cyber Security Jobs in PA Explained
The best cyber security jobs in Pennsylvania are computer and information research scientists, software developers, information security analysts, computer systems analysts, and computer programmers. In the following section, you’ll find a detailed breakdown of the responsibilities, salary, job growth, and ideal program for each of the jobs listed in the table above.
Does It Matter What Cyber Security School in PA I Go To?
Yes, it does matter what school in Pennsylvania you go to for cyber security. While most schools provide fantastic education programs in cyber security, the prestige and industry recognition that comes with attending one of the top schools in the state will give you an advantage in a very competitive market. That being said, your skills and knowledge will speak for themselves in the long run.
Additional Reading About Cyber Security
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/best-major-for-cybersecurity/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/cyber-security-degree/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/cyber-security-certifications/
Best Cyber Security Schools in PA FAQ
The most important thing to look out for when picking cyber security school programs in Pennsylvania is their curriculum. Generally, you want to choose a program that is more in line with what you want to specialize in. While most schools offer a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, not all offer the opportunity to focus on cyber or information security.
Yes, studying cyber security in Pennsylvania is worth it. Cyber security professionals have high projected job growth and earn a salary significantly higher than the national average in addition to the fact that many of the top schools in the state also happen to be some of the best in the country.
No, an associate degree from a Pennsylvania school is not good enough to land a well-paying cyber security job. An associate degree in cyber security is better for transferring to a bachelor’s degree program than it is for entering the workforce as a bachelor’s degree is the typical minimum education requirement for these professionals.
Yes, there are many schools in Pennsylvania that offer online cyber security degree programs. Schools such as Franklin University, Drexel University, Immaculata University, Temple University, and La Salle University all offer great distance learning programs in cyber security.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.