The best cyber security startups help other companies, organizations, and people protect their systems and data from illegal breaches, cyber threats, and identity theft. Cyber security startup companies provide cyber security tools to reveal hidden cyber threats in APIs, identify risks in customers’ cloud infrastructure, and prevent unauthorized access to software as a service (SaaS) platforms and mobile apps.
In this article, you will find a list of the best cyber security startups, the benefits of working at a cyber security startup company, the top bootcamps with cyber security programs, the top new trends in cyber security, and the most common jobs in cyber security.
What Are Cyber Security Startup Companies?
Cyber security startup companies are dedicated to protecting their clients’ private information and data against malicious activity, identity theft, and cyber attacks. They offer a number of services to their clients, including threat analysis, fraud prevention, identity management, systems auditing, risk management, and penetration testing. Big tech companies usually have an in-house cyber security team, while some outsource their cyber security needs through a variety of approaches.
The best cyber security startups also offer cyber security software tools to protect clients’ sensitive information on hardware and software. The various types of cyber security software tools include network intrusion detection tools, encryption tools, and penetration testing tools.
Top Cyber Security Companies That Began as Startups
The top cyber security companies that began as startups include Palo Alto Networks, Orca Security, and Ubiq Security. The hottest cyber security startups that are growing fast are Lacework, Synk, and Cyware.
Big Cyber Security Companies
- Palo Alto Networks
The Best Cyber Security Startup Companies
|Company Name||Location||Funding||Number of Employees|
|Abnormal Security||San Francisco, California||74M||376 (2022)|
|Apiiro Security||Tel Aviv, Israel||35M||84 (2022)|
|Apono||Wilmington, Delaware||5M||10 (2022)|
|Beyond Identity||New York, New York||205M||175 (2022)|
|Cado Security||London, United Kingdom||11.5M||30 (2022)|
|Confluera||Palo Alto, California||29M||29 (2022)|
|Cyble||Alpharetta, Georgia||14.6M||86 (2022)|
|Espresso Systems||Søborg, Denmark||35.1M||26 (2022)|
|Fast||San Francisco, California||124.5M||699 (2022)|
|Securiti||Santa Jose, California||81M||357 (2022)|
The Top Cyber Security Startups: A Closer Look
- Founded: 2018
- Funding: $74M
Abnormal Security uses advanced AI technology to protect clients against targeted email attacks and cyber threats. It was founded by Evan Reiser (CEO) and Sanjay Jeyakumar (CTO), who are experts in the information technology (IT) security, machine learning (ML), and artificial intelligence (AI) landscape.
Abnormal Security works by connecting to the client’s cloud email system through one-click API integration to stop targeted and continuous attacks by detecting suspicious behavioral patterns.
- Founded: 2019
- Funding: $35M
Apiiro Security is a technology company that was founded by Idan Plotnik (CEO) and Yonaton Eldar (CTO), who have a combined experience of over 36 years in cyber security. Apiiro Security has a proactive strategy for risk management by combating cyber threats and cyber attacks.
Apiiro Security works by fixing any potential risks and attacks on their client’s cloud-native apps through the software development lifecycle until they release it to the cloud.
- Founded: 2021
- Funding: $5M
Apono is a cyber security compliance platform providing cloud security to clients’ cloud-based assets and data archives. It tackles cyber security breaches, asset management, and continuous attacks by securing the permission and access management pathways to sensitive data.
It enables clients like IBM and Comcast Corporation to collaborate freely across teams by controlling the degrees of access control to their digital assets and data repositories.
- Founded: 2020
- Funding: $205M
Beyond Identity is a SaaS cyber security platform and cyber security technology that enables users to go password-free by establishing stronger authentication pathways. It generates an inaccessible private key for each of the client’s devices, binding it to both the device hardware and the user account. This technology is compatible with all digital devices, including mobile devices, laptops, and tablets.
- Founded: 2020
- Funding: $11.5M
Cado Security is a cloud platform for investigation founded by digital forensics and cyber security experts James Campbell (CEO) and Chris Doman (CTO). It is a cloud investigation cyber security platform created to tackle computer systems’ rising size and complexity.
It is primarily concerned with efficiently securing breached networks by performing a quick forensic investigation using patented big data tools to identify and tackle malicious activity.
- Founded: 2018
- Funding: $29M
Confluera is a US-based cyber security startup that uses extended detection and response (XDR) technology to counter cyber threats. Once you’ve installed Confluera on your device, it performs continuous risk assessment across platforms to detect potential cyber risks or malicious attacks in real-time and eliminates them immediately.
- Founded: 2019
- Funding: $14.6M
Cyble offers cyber security tools that provide a holistic view of cyber threats across closed and open sources on the dark web, surface web, and deep web. In addition, it provides businesses with effective cyber threat intelligence software as a service, which runs based on new and innovative artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies.
- Founded: 2021
- Funding: $35.1M
Espresso Systems is a cyber security startup that offers risk management security products that employ machine learning technologies to protect security teams from insider threats and malicious activity. Espresso Systems is a privacy and scaling system for Web3 applications.
- Founded: 2020
- Funding: $124.5M
Fast is a cyber security startup that offers one-click solutions to secure and ease online payments to help increase conversion rates for online shopping businesses. Fast’s one-click and no-login products are offered on all digital devices for a secure online shopping experience. Fast also helps businesses reduce cart abandonment, increase sales, and ensure data privacy.
- Founded: 2018
- Funding: $81M
Securiti is a cyber security compliance platform based in the US. It offers cyber security tools developed through artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies for automating data protection, privacy, regulatory compliance solutions, and governance. Securiti is backed by investors in Silicon Valley and was listed as a top cyber security startup by Forbes in 2020.
Benefits of Working at a Cyber Security Startup
You can gain numerous benefits working in a cyber security startup in addition to the usual job satisfaction and pride that come with your job role. Some of the benefits of working at a cyber security startup are listed below.
Top 5 Reasons to Work at a Cyber Security Startup
- Top salaries. Cyber security services providers have one of the highest-paying jobs in the United States. According to PayScale, the average cyber security engineer’s salary is $97,880.
- High in demand. Jobs in cyber security are in high demand around the globe. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the job market for information security analysts is projected to grow by 33 percent between 2020 and 2030.
- Advancement opportunities. A career as a cyber security analyst allows you to pursue many opportunities for advancement as the job outlook improves and the demand for specialists and cyber security team service providers grows.
- Job satisfaction. There are many types of cyber security jobs out there, and cyber security experts can find the one that enables them to have a perfect work-life balance.
- Remote work option. A lot of cyber security jobs have remote work options that allow for a more flexible lifestyle. To find the best cyber security remote jobs, you have to improve your entire network security control, cloud security, and system administration skills.
Can a Coding Bootcamp Help Me Get a Job at a Cyber Security Startup?
Yes, a coding bootcamp can help you get a job at a cyber security startup. Even if you don’t have any prior experience, you can still land an entry-level job in cyber security by getting into one of the top cyber security bootcamps. Cyber security is a rapidly growing field, and tech companies always look for information security experts to prevent cyber attacks.
Top Bootcamps with Cyber Security Programs
- The Tech Academy. Provides a full-time, 20-week in-person program in Portland, Oregon, that teaches students full stack development, coding, and data protection.
- Springboard. They offer a 24-week, self-paced, online bootcamp for those interested in a career in cyber security. You will learn about incident response, network security, asset management, and more.
- Flatiron School. They provide two cyber security bootcamps. Both are 15-week cyber security engineering bootcamps. One is offered in person, while the other is online.
- Clarusway. The cyber security analyst bootcamp is a full-time, online, and 24-week long bootcamp that teaches you cyber security fundamentals along with advanced topics like security architecture.
- Coding Dojo. They offer a 24-week long, online, and part-time cyber security bootcamp, making you industry-ready to tackle information security risks.
Common Jobs in Cyber Security
- Remote Cyber Security Analyst: A remote cyber security analyst makes an average of $106,941 per year, according to ZipRecruiter. The job involves monitoring systems for cyber threats and preventing security breaches.
- Cyber Security Specialist: With an average salary of $107,765 per year, a cyber security specialist builds network firewalls, prevents malicious activity, and performs risk management tasks to ensure data security.
- Cyber Security Engineer: A cyber security engineer earns an average of $120,198 per year, based on ZipRecruiter data, making it one of the highest-paying jobs in technology. You will use firewalls and encryption tools to protect your data archives from cyber threats.
- Cyber Security Consultant: A cyber security consultant makes around $118,553 per year. You will perform scans on your client’s web networks to identify potential cyber threats and provide solutions to prevent breaches.
Should I Work for a Cyber Security Startup Company?
Yes, you should work for a cyber security startup company. IT services generate the most revenue in the US cyber security market, followed by software and, finally, hardware. You can have access to employee benefits that you desire by working for a cyber security startup company.
According to Statista, the cyber security market revenue is projected to be $58.65 billion by 2022. Working for a cyber security startup company is a lucrative option whether you land a job in network security, cloud security, identity management, human security personnel, or fraud prevention.
Best Cyber Security Startups FAQ
The best company for a cyber security job in the United States is Symantec, with headquarters in Mountain View, California. Other top cyber security companies include Ubiq Security, Axis Security, and Grip Security.
There are 3,500 cyber security companies in the United States listed with The Cyber Research Databank (CyberDB). 2021 was a record-breaking year for cyber security startups that blew up and exceeded the 2020 funding amount within the first six months of the new year.
The types of cyber security companies in the US include information and network security, web security, data security, endpoint security, mobile security, cloud security, fraud and transaction security, messaging security, application security, identity and access management, threat intelligence, blockchain, and more.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
To start a cyber security startup, you need professional certifications to make you an expert in security incidents. Before registering your company, you must also choose a legal structure, develop a privacy-focused business plan, and reach your target market using artificial intelligence and machine learning tools.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.