The High School Placement Test (HSPT) is a standardized test for middle school students that is required by both private high schools and catholic high schools in the US. If you’re preparing for the HSPT, there are many books to help you study. In this guide, you’ll find a list of the best HSPT prep books that will help you boost your skills, achieve an excellent score, and get into the high school of your dreams.
Continue reading for all you need to know to prepare for the HSPT, including some of the best free HSPT books and other study materials like apps and practice tests, as well as a comprehensive guide about all five HSPT prep sections.
Should I Take the HSPT?
You should take the HSPT test if you are an 8th-grade student and wish to attend a private or Catholic high school. The HSPT is a standardized test that assesses both the advanced and basic knowledge of middle school students in five core areas, and it is also used for curriculum placement. Most private and catholic schools require students to take the HSPT to be accepted.
If you are determined to go to a private or Catholic school, you must prepare well to be accepted. The average HSPT score for students is 500, so you should aim for a score of 500 or more. The higher your scores, the higher your chances of school admission are. In addition to acceptance, you may be eligible for scholarships to help pay for tuition.
Common HSPT Sections You Need to Prepare For
- Verbal section. The first section of the exam will include multiple-choice questions about analogies, classification of words, synonyms, and antonyms. The test will evaluate your ability to use vocabulary and basic logic relating to verbal skills.
- Quantitative section. The second part of the exam assesses students’ reasoning and quantitative skills, such as problem-solving. These questions contain word problems, geometric comparison, and sequencing questions. Make sure you practice your problem-solving skills with technical accuracy to prepare for this section.
- Reading section. The third section includes both reading comprehension questions and vocabulary questions. This part tests many different reading skills, so be sure to practice reading in an organized fashion in your preparation strategy.
- Mathematics section. The fourth section assesses students’ mathematical reasoning skills and arithmetic skills. It includes questions about basic math operations, such as addition, algebra, measurements, and geometry. You cannot use a calculator to find the correct answers for the test, only scratch sheets of paper or the test booklet.
- Language section. The final section assesses each student’s language skills. Questions in this section are about grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
The 10 Best HSPT Prep Books to Help You Get Ready
1. HSPT Secrets Study Guide by Mometrix Test Preparation
- Best for: Comprehensive explanations, practice questions, step-by-step video tutorials
Mometrix Test Preparation has designed the HSPT Secrets Study Guide to provide test takers with a detailed review of essential language skills, verbal skills, mathematics, quantitative skills, and reading comprehension. If you are a bad test taker, these study materials feature test-taking strategies and performance tactics to help give you peace of mind on test day.
The Mometrix study guide tool provides practice test questions for all sections and detailed answer explanations. It also contains excellent step-by-step review videos with explanations of complex concepts. You can purchase this HSPT prep product from the official Mometrix Test preparation website, as well as Amazon.
2. HSPT Prep Book by Trivium Test Prep
- Best for: Reviewing essential concepts, practice test questions
This HSPT prep product by Trivium Test Prep offers preparation materials with a content review of math, verbal, and writing concepts. The preparation strategy includes practice questions to get familiar with HSPT questions and a full-length practice test to ensure an excellent score. You can purchase this study prep book for the normal price of $14 from the official Trivium Test Prep page or Amazon.
3. Barron’s Strategies and Practice for the HSPT
- Best for: Study strategies, practice activities with answers
Baron’s HSPT prep book is a complete review of essential topics and study strategies and helps students improve their skills that will be assessed by the exam. This ideal prep solution contains over 1,00 practice questions of all formats.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
The vocabulary sections help students boost verbal and reading skills. The two full-length practice tests contain the most current information to ensure confidence and future success on exam day. You can buy this comprehensive study guide on Amazon through the official Barron page for the normal price of around $16.
4. HSPT Study Book by Test Prep Books
- Best for: Comprehensive review, detailed answer explanations, test-taking strategies
This preparation book by Test Prep Books covers all major topics in the HSPT to improve students’ mathematics, reading, quantitative, and other comprehension skills. Test-taking strategies explained in this book help students use their time efficiently and avoid small mistakes to ensure an excellent score on exam day.
The prep course content includes choice study questions and detailed answer explanations that will aid in the achievement of an excellent composite score on the exam. You can purchase this practice resource book for $13 on the official Test prep Books website.
5. HSPT Practice Questions by Mometrix Test Preparation
- Best for: Practice questions, reinforce strengths, improve weaknesses
This full-length practice test by Mometrix Test Preparation makes for an excellent preparation strategy that provides students with practice test questions of all difficulty levels, and in-depth explanations of answers. Mometrix Test Preparation’s practice test questions will help students determine strengths and weaknesses, and in turn, help them decide which test sections to focus on. This HSPT prep book is available for purchase on Amazon for a normal price of $20 to $40.
6. Kaplan Test Prep Catholic High School Entrance Exams
- Best for: Essential practice questions, comprehensive review
The Kaplan Test Prep Catholic High School Entrance Exams study guide tool contains a comprehensive overview of key concepts and six full-length practice tests. Experts at Kaplan Test Prep designed the practice questions and concept review to be as close to the actual exam as possible.
Students will have access to HSPT practice exams and one diagnostic quiz, as well as an individualized performance summary to help them create the perfect study plan. This fail-proof study guide includes every type of question in the HSPT to help you prepare for success on exam day. You can buy the Kaplan Test Prep guide on Amazon for $19.
7. HSPT Prep Book for Catholic High School Entrance Exams 2nd Edition by Apex Test Prep
- Best for: Testing tips, detailed review, practice test questions, answer explanations
The HSPT Prep Book for Catholic High School Entrance Exams by Apex Test Prep provides valuable test-taking strategies to help 8th-grade students simplify their learning process and better prepare for the exam. This HSPT study guide includes an in-depth overview of essential topics that will be on the placement test.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
The study questions in this guide are realistic, with the goal of increasing your confidence on exam day and earning an excellent score. There is a detailed explanation of answers to help students correct wrong answers and learn from common mistakes. This study guide tool can be purchased for $13 on Amazon.
8. The HSPT Tutor by Apex Test Prep
- Best for: Comprehensive material, practice questions, detailed answer explanations
The HSPT Tutor preparation book by Apex Test Prep is a prep book that includes an excellent preparation strategy and helpful information about the test itself to ensure students are ready for exam day. Students can practice with actual test questions that come with detailed explanations of answers.
These comprehensive practice questions will help monitor student progress and determine the areas to improve in. In no time, the study materials will help you achieve an excellent score and the school placement of your choice. You can purchase this guide through the Apex Test Prep page on Amazon for $12.
9. Cracking the COOP/TACHS & HSPT 2nd Edition by The Princeton Review
- Best for: Study techniques, full-length practice tests, comprehensive review
The Princeton Review Cracking the COOP/TACHS & HSPT is a comprehensive preparation book that provides students with a detailed review of exam content, aiming to improve students’ quantitative and comprehension skills. Two online practice tests contain current HSPT content and are sure to give you peace of mind on exam day.
This Princeton Review preparation strategy includes practice drills at the end of each chapter to review concepts, and all practice questions feature detailed step guides on how to properly answer them. This prep book can be purchased on the official Princeton Review page on Amazon.
10. Elevate Prep’s HSPT: 2500+ Practice Questions
- Best for: Comprehensive list of free online video resources, full-length practice tests
Elevate Prep’s HSPT: 2500+ Practice Questions preparation guide does not offer a review of concepts, but is full of excellent practice questions for all sections of the HSPT. This preparation strategy option includes over 200 pages of detailed answer explanations to help you learn from common mistakes. Students will have access to three full-length practice tests and a list of online review videos. It is available for purchase on the official Elevate Prep page on Amazon.
Free HSPT Books and Resources to Help You Get Ready
- Free HSPT Practice Test Online by Study Time Tutoring
- HSPT Study Guide & Practice Test by Mometrix Test preparation
- Free Mometrix Practice HSPT Test
- Varsity Tutors LLC free HSPT preparation app
- Free HSPT Practice Tests 2022 by Test-Guide.com
Best HSPT Prep Books FAQ
The HSPT takes approximately three hours to complete. Each section of the exam has a specific time allocation of between fifteen to forty minutes per topic.
The cost of the HPTS depends on the high school you apply to and can range from $30 to $70. The cost of the HSTP may be included in the school’s application fee.
The HSPT does not have specific dates because each school arranges the test, so reach out to your preferred high school to find out about testing dates, fees, and locations.
No, you can only take the HSPT once, unless you have a valid reason to retake the test. If you have to retake the test due to extenuating circumstances, the school will review your case and decide the next steps for a retake.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot