A career path in the data science field provides many job prospects and opportunities for growth. The best online database administration master’s degrees can help you establish your career. Whether you want to specialize in database design, database systems, or communication technology systems, an online Master’s Degree in Database Administration is for you.
In this guide, we’ve included a list of the best online database administration master’s degrees and a breakdown of their costs and admission requirements to help you pick the best program for advancing your education in this field of study. In case you’re unsure of what to do after your studies, we’ve also included a list of the best database administration master’s degree jobs.
Where Can I Get a Database Administration Master’s Degree Online?
You can get a database administration master’s degree online at several accredited universities, including Arizona State University, Boston University, and Syracuse University. With each graduate program offered by these universities being fully online, you can attend any of them from anywhere in the country, including the comfort of your own home.
What Schools Offer the Best Database Administration Master’s Degrees?
- Arizona State University
- Boston University
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Syracuse University
- University of Maryland Global Campus
What Are the Admission Requirements for an Online Database Administration Master’s Degree?
The admission requirements for an online Master’s Degree in Database Administration include having completed a GRE or GMAT exam, a bachelor’s degree, and a 3.0 cumulative GPA. These requirements for online master’s degrees may vary by university and major requirements. Some may also have additional requirements not listed below.
Prospective graduate database administration students will need to be able to showcase their technical skills in database management systems, network administration, and other computer-related field topics. They will also need to submit two letters of recommendation, their resume, cover letters, and a personal statement with their application form.
Online Database Administration Master’s Degree Admission Requirements
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Bachelor’s degree and official transcript
- GMAT or GRE
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
How to Get a Database Administration Master’s Degree Online
The best way to get a Master’s Degree in Database Administration is by fulfilling all of the graduation requirements. The general requirements for a database administration master’s degree, some of which are offered as a database concentration paired with an information technology degree, include maintaining a 3.0 or above GPA and having previous credits in database management.
These degrees require you to complete 30 to 35 credits in a combination of general IT and core courses covering big data and database management topics. Some degrees also require you to complete industry certifications.
Database Administration Degree Requirements
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- 30 to 35 credits of general and core courses
- Prepare and take certification exams
Best Online Database Administration Master’s Degree Programs and Schools: Overview
|Arizona State University
|Master of Science in Computer Science- Concentration in Big Data Systems
|Higher Learning Commission
|Master of Science in Computer Information Systems
|Higher Learning Commission
|Online Master of Science in Computer Information Systems- Concentration in Database Management & Business Intelligence
|New England Commission of Higher Education
|Colorado Technical University
|Master of Science in Management- IT Project Management
|Higher Learning Commission
|Master of Science in Data Science- Concentration in Computational Methods
|Higher Learning Commission
|Florida Institute of Technology
|Master of Science in Information Technology- Database Administration
|Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
|Southern New Hampshire University
|Master of Science in Information Technology- Concentration in Database Design
|New England Commision of Higher Education
|Master of Science in Applied Data Science
|Middle States Commission on Higher Education
|University of Denver
|Master of Science in Information and Communication Technology- Concentration in Database Design and Administration
|Higher Learning Commission
|University of Maryland Global Campus
|Master of Science in Information Systems- Data Science Track
|Middle States Commission on Higher Education
Best Schools for Database Administration: Top Online Database Administration Master’s Degree Programs
The best schools for online database administration master’s degree programs can be found below. These technology programs combine information technology and database administration topics and allow you to become a database administrator, systems manager, database manager, or database program designer after graduating.
What Is an Online Database Administration Master’s Degree?
An online database administration master’s degree is an advanced specialized program relating to database management and information technology. This degree typically requires 1.5 to two years to complete and the completion of around 30 to 45 credits or credit hours. Distance education programs usually provide students with a more flexible schedule and cheaper tuition.
The computational topics in the database administration field make a remote learning experience easier than other majors, which often can’t as easily provide an effective hands-on learning experience. An online degree in database administration will typically offer the same curriculum as an in-person master’s degree on the same topic.
Online vs In-Person Database Administration Degrees
The main differences between an online and in-person Master’s Degree in Database Administration revolve around their tuition rates and schedule, as well as the learning experience provided. However, an online Master’s Degree in Database Administration can be as good as an in-person degree program regarding the overall resource allocation and educational standards. The quality of your education will not be affected if you choose to follow an online degree.
Your general and core courses will be the same whether you choose to attend an in-person or online database administration degree. No matter what, you’ll graduate with all the skills you need to land high-paying jobs in your field of study. Below are the benefits of each of these degree types.
Top 5 Benefits of an Online Master’s Degree in Database Administration
- Convenience. An online degree offers a convenient educational pathway for students looking to set their own learning environment. Be it from their home or a public cafe, students are free to choose their learning spot as long as they have reliable Internet access.
- Schedule flexibility. Online master’s degrees offer great schedule flexibility as students can schedule their study sessions to match their daily tasks. While most classes are still set at a specific time of day and week, many courses use pre-recorded classes for a portion of the curriculum, allowing students to more easily study when they want.
- Lower tuition cost. An online database administration degree only requires you to pay tuition and select mandatory fees. You won’t have to pay for student housing, on-campus insurance, and other fees required for an in-person degree.
- Great for busy students. Thanks to the flexibility and convenience of an online degree, working professionals or people with busy home lives can more easily tackle a full-time or part-time master’s program. Most master’s degree programs are even designed for students to take fewer credits per semester than bachelor’s degree programs.
- Socially distanced education option. The current pandemic has brought to light the importance of social distancing and health safety. An online degree allows you to practice social distancing while still receiving a quality education.
Top 5 Benefits of an In-Person Master’s Degree in Database Administration
- Opportunities to interact with peers. One of the major advantages in-person programs have over their online counterparts is the ability to forge strong personal connections with classmates and even teachers. These can prove immensely beneficial for networking and for your emotional and mental health.
- Easy access to school faculty. Although not always the case, it is generally much easier to get in touch with your teachers and other members of the school faculty when attending school in person. Rather than wait for them to answer an email, you can just approach them before or after class or during their office hours.
- Widely accepted. Although the legitimacy of online degrees is becoming increasingly recognized by employers around the world, in-person degrees are typically unequivocally accepted in all industries and at any level. In-person degrees have fewer risks in regard to this.
- Research and job opportunities. An in-person database administration master’s degree is a great option for students wanting to participate in hands-on research. In-person master’s programs typically offer a greater number of research and assistance opportunities you can use to enhance your resume and portfolio.
- Structured learning environment. A structured learning environment can be extremely beneficial to your success and productivity. In-person degrees provide a scheduled, structured learning environment that encourages focus and reduces unwanted distractions.
What Types of Online Master’s Degrees Can You Get in Database Administration?
There are several types of online Master’s Degrees in Database Administration, including Master of Science, Master of Business Administration, and Master of Applied Science degrees. Database administration is generally offered as a concentration path within information technology, data science, or business analytics degree programs.
Is It Better to Get a Master of Science or Master of Business Administration in Database Administration?
It is better to get an online Master of Science in Database Administration if you want to enter the information technology and computing industry. This degree provides a wider range of career opportunities along with high compensation rates across database engineering, database management, or database security consulting positions.
According to ZipRecruiter, the average salary for database engineers is $107,844 per year, and a Master of Science degree will help you start your career in the field. A Master of Business Administration in Database Administration is better for students hoping to land senior roles in business analytics, business intelligence, or project management.
How Much Does a Database Administration Master’s Degree Cost?
Database administration master’s degrees cost $19,314, according to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). Database administration master’s degree tuition rates usually fall under this range but can vary from one institution to another and the duration of a program. Some master’s degrees also charge a different rate for out-of-state students.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Database Administration Master’s Degree Online?
It typically takes 1.5 to two years to get an online Master’s Degree in Database Administration. Most universities require you to get 30 to 45 credit hours to successfully complete the program. While these are fewer credits than an associate degree, which typically requires 60 and also takes two years to complete, the intensity of the course content requires students to take fewer credits per semester.
An online accelerated Master’s Degree in Database Administration may take about a year to complete. However, this will depend on the university program you wish to pursue and your pace throughout the course.
Are Online Database Administration Degrees Respected?
Yes, online database administration degrees are respected, having the same credibility as an in-person master’s degree. As the prevalence of online education options grows and becomes the norm across mainstream job markets, so does their worth. Plus, database administration is a subject that requires strong computer-based skills, making online degrees highly beneficial.
Is Database Administration Hard to Learn Online?
No, database administration is not hard to learn online. Data science is a tech-dependent subject that requires a high level of computer literacy. Learning it online actively increases your computer literacy, which will benefit you in the long run. As long as you dedicate your time and efforts to the degree program, you are sure to succeed.
Database Administration Bootcamp vs Online Database Administration Master’s Degree: Which Is Better?
An online database administration master’s degree is better for students wanting an advanced education, while a database administration bootcamp is better for those looking for intensive short-term tech programs. Having a master’s degree opens you up to a massively larger pool of job and growth opportunities compared to just a bootcamp certificate.
That being said, if you already have a higher education degree along with work experience in tech and are just looking to upskill or reskill, a bootcamp certificate can be a much cheaper and quicker alternative. When choosing which of these options is best for you, consider the benefits of each one listed below.
Top 5 Benefits of an Online Database Administration Master’s Degree
- Lucrative career opportunities. A Master’s Degree in Database Administration can open you up to a wider range of lucrative career opportunities. You can more easily apply to higher positions across the information technology, business analytics, or data science industries.
- Enhanced resume. A Master’s Degree in Database Administration is an advanced degree that will give you more credibility as a professional. It allows you to specialize in database administration courses and enhance your abilities. A master’s degree also holds much more value on a resume compared to a bootcamp certificate.
- Specialized training. During your master’s degree program, you specialize in a subject of your choice, allowing you to focus on classes that will help you develop the technical and soft skills you need for your chosen career path at a level more advanced than any other program.
- Higher median salary. Earning a master’s degree is one of the best career moves you can make to increase your annual salary potential. You will qualify for intermediate to senior-level database jobs and ultimately earn a higher salary, thanks to your level of education.
- Credibility and respect. A Master’s Degree in Database Administration is highly respected and accepted by employers across all industries. A master’s degree in this field will also let you apply for jobs related to the field with ease, as many of the skills required are transferable.
Top 5 Benefits of a Database Administration Bootcamp
- Short-term commitment. A bootcamp program is much more concise than a master’s degree program. Bootcamp programs usually last only a few weeks to a few months. You will get in-depth professional training and a solid database education within this short time frame.
- Practical skills. Bootcamps are known for their hands-on approach. You will focus on the technical skills you need rather than theory. Database administration bootcamps courses cover practical skills with relational databases, database recovery, and data security. These skills will help you land an entry-level job right after graduation.
- Project-based curriculum. Your database administration bootcamp curriculum will let you work on a variety of hands-on projects that you can add to your portfolio. This will make the job hunt much easier for you, as you’ll have tangible proof of your abilities.
- Career services. The best database management bootcamps offer career services to help you land a job as quickly as possible. As part of your program, you’ll be the recipient of networking opportunities and meet the bootcamp’s hiring partners. You’ll also receive mentorship and have access to interview prep as well as resume and portfolio reviews.
- Cheaper alternative. Unlike a master’s degree, most bootcamps accept high school graduates and get them job-ready within a matter of months. You can choose to attend a bootcamp and avoid paying the high cost of a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree.
Why You Should Get a Database Administration Master’s Degree Online
You should get a database administration master’s degree online if you want a flexible and affordable advanced degree that will help you further your career in the tech field. A master’s degree can help you land senior roles in database engineering, design, or management. Online degrees carry the same level of credibility as in-person degrees while being more flexible.
What Courses Do You Take in an Online Master’s Degree Program in Database Administration?
The courses you take in an online master’s degree program in database administration are designed to equip you with the skills you need for a long and fruitful career. While the core and general courses vary from program to program, some of the courses you may find in an online master’s degree program in database administration may resemble the ones below.
A database design course will cover relational databases and the SQL programming language. You will learn to design, maintain, and upgrade the architecture of a database. You will also learn to create databases with efficient storage and big data retrieval systems.
Data analysis plays a major role in the field of database administration and data science. This course will help you develop business intelligence as well as skills with Tableau, R, Python, and SQL. Depending on your course curriculum, you might also take practice tests for industry certification exams.
Database Recovery and Backup
A database recovery and backup course will teach you how to safely store and organize big data for both organizations and individuals. You will learn how to secure lost data from a relational database management system. You’ll learn to use Oracle, NoSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and IBM DB2 systems.
A data warehousing course covers foundational and advanced elements of database infrastructures. You’ll learn to extract, transform, and load metadata into central relational database systems. You’ll also master data storage planning, implementation, and processing components.
A database management course will teach you to create SQL statement queries and upload them into popular relational database systems. You will learn to use popular data programming languages and how to administer large databases.
Continuing Education Paths for Online Database Administration Master’s Degree Graduates
There are several continuing education paths for online database administration master’s degree graduates that include both higher education and career advancement options. You can get Azure Database Administration, Oracle Databases, or MySQL certifications or go on to pursue a PhD in database security or database management to further your education.
Related Online Database Administration Degrees
What to Look For in the Best Database Administration Master’s Degree Programs
The things to look for in the best database administration master’s degree programs are an up to date curriculum, affordable tuition rates, a variety of concentration options, a length that suits your schedule, and a good reputation. Below is a breakdown of the top five factors to consider when choosing a database administration online master’s degree.
One of the most important things you should consider when picking programs is your budget. When making your choice, have a look at the tuition cost, the financial aid options the school provides, and whether or not there are any scholarships you qualify for. Keep in mind that a higher cost of tuition doesn’t always signify a higher-quality education.
If you want to complete your master’s degree quickly, choose a degree with fewer credit requirements or one that allows you to take on a larger amount of credits per semester. On the flip side, if you want a program that allows you to take more time to complete it, make sure that it’s available for part-time enrollment and doesn’t have a maximum time limit for completion.
The relevance of a degree curriculum is an important factor to consider before enrolling in a database administration master’s program. Not only should you choose a degree that matches your professional and educational goals, but you should also make sure that the content it teaches is up to date with the industry-standard tools, theories, and technologies.
Database administration is often offered as a concentration for a broader tech and data subject. A database administration concentration for an IT degree is better if you want to enter the database engineering or database development field. If you want to apply for data analytics or database management jobs, then choose a major in the data or business intelligence field.
Choose a university with a credible reputation, graduation rate, and job placement rate. Reading alumni reviews will give you a good idea of whether or not the money and time previous students have spent was worth it as well as whether or not the program will satisfy your needs and wants.
What Is the Most Affordable Online Database Administration Master’s Degree?
The most affordable online database administration master’s degree is offered by Arizona State University at $15,000 for the entire program. When compared to other universities, where a semester might cost more than this, $15,000 is extremely affordable. The university offers this tuition rate for both resident and non-resident students and requires the completion of 30 credits.
Can I Get a Database Administration Master’s Degree Online for Free?
No, you cannot get a free online Master’s Degree in Database Administration. However, you can enroll in free online courses or watch online videos to learn database administration. Several popular massive open online course platforms, including Udemy and Coursera, offer free courses. Scholarships and federal loans can help you reduce the cost of your degree.
Salary and Job Outlook for Online Database Administration Master’s Degree Graduates
The salary and job outlook for online database administration master’s degree graduates vary depending on their choice of concentration and portfolio but are quite high across the board. In the sections that follow you will find the best jobs you can get with your Master’s Degree in Database Administration along with their average salaries.
How Hard Is It to Get a Job With a Database Administration Master’s Degree?
It is not very hard to get a job with an online database administration master’s degree as it is widely recognized by employers. An online master’s degree provides you with plenty of hands-on projects to prepare you for the professional world. You will have access to your university’s career services department to prepare your resume and portfolio before graduating.
What’s the Average Online Database Administration Master’s Degree Salary?
The average salary for someone with an online Master’s Degree in Database Administration is $78,000 per year, according to PayScale. A Master of Science in Database Management or Database Administration will prepare you for the same professions while also giving you a higher earning potential. Your actual salary may vary depending on your master’s concentration and professional qualifications.
What Jobs Can You Get With an Online Database Administration Master’s Degree?
The jobs you can get with an online database administration master’s degree include database engineer, database administrator, and database manager. You can also become a database developer or a data scientist by choosing a specialization that matches these data fields or completing additional certifications.
Database Administration Degree Jobs
- Database Engineer
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Database Architect
- Oracle Database Administrator
- IT Manager
Potential Careers With an Online Database Administration Degree
How Much Money Can You Make With an Online Database Administration Master’s Degree?
You can make between $73,506 and $113,415 per year with an online database administration master’s degree. Your compensation will vary depending on your chosen profession, state, and place of employment. Below is a list of the top-paying jobs you can get with an online database administration master’s degree.
Highest-Paying Online Database Administration Master’s Degree Jobs and Salaries: Overview
|Database Administration Master’s Degree Jobs
|Information Technology Manager with Database Skills
|Information Security Analysts
|Oracle Database Administrator
Best Jobs for Online Database Administration Master’s Degree Grads
Some of the best jobs for online master’s degree holders in database administration can be found below. Each of these positions has a high growth potential, a high median salary, and provides plenty of opportunities for you to earn more as you gain experience.
Best Jobs According to Your Major
Is an Online Database Administration Master’s Degree Worth It?
Yes, an online database administration master’s degree is worth it for anyone wanting to get an advanced qualification at a flexible and more affordable rate. This online degree pathway opens its graduates up to a wide variety of lucrative career opportunities and lets them specialize in a growing industry.
Additional Reading About Database Administration
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/best-online-database-administration-bachelors-degrees/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/how-to-get-a-job-in-database-administration/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/how-much-do-database-administrators-make/
Online Database Administration Master’s Degree FAQ
You can get a job in technology, business, or data industries with an online database administration master’s degree. For example, you could work as an Oracle database administrator, database engineer, or information security analyst.
You can get a Master of Science, Master of Business Administration, or a Master of Applied Science degree online to become a database administrator.
You can pair your master’s concentration in database administration with information technology, data science, business analytics, computer science, or database design majors.
An online database administration master’s degree covers topics such as database engineering, database management, SQL, Python, database design, data warehousing, and data analytics.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.