Looking for resources to ace the Praxis test? This article is for every aspiring educator looking to meet the state teachers’ Praxis requirement. Find the best Praxis prep books and other online resources for productive study time. The article covers the different Praxis Prep sections and essential elements in the exam content.
This article is a great resource for anyone looking to find the best paid and free Praxis books. These books are complete with study guides, practice test questions, test-taking strategies, and other helpful resources to help you pass the test. Completing the Praxis test lets you meet the teaching license requirements across 40 states and become a teacher.
Should I Take the Praxis Test?
You should take the Praxis if you want to pursue a career as an educator. Teachers in 40 states across the United States are required to get a passing score in the Praxis Core exam for a license. Completing a teacher preparation program and passing the test enables you to enter a noble and rewarding career. According to Glassdoor, the average salary for teachers is $51,364 annually.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for postsecondary teachers is projected to grow by 12 percent between 2020 and 2030. By passing this certified teacher license requirement you can work towards establishing a lucrative and secure teaching career.
You can use your high Praxis test scores to increase your hireability, climb up the teaching career ladder, and earn higher salaries. Along with high school and primary school teachers, aspiring college professors should also take the Praxis test to get a teaching certificate and obtain a certified educator license.
Common Praxis Sections You Need to Prepare For
- Prepare for multiple-choice and essay questions. The Praxis test has a combination of multiple-choice and essay question types. You should prepare using sample questions and prep materials to perfect your answering techniques.
- Reading test. The actual exam format for the Praxis test consists of three primary sections. The reading test section tests your ability to answer questions using your comprehensive review and analysis skills. The Praxis core reading section consists of 56 questions and provides 85 minutes for completion.
- Writing Exam. The certification exam also has a section to test your writing skills. This section is divided into 40 multiple choice questions and two essay questions. It tests your critical thinking, explanatory writing, research, and text improvement abilities. You can find study materials and online practice exams to prepare for this section.
- Math questions. Like most standard subject assessments, Praxis tests your basic math skills. The mathematics section consists of 56 questions that cover key math concepts. You will have access to an on-screen calculator for the exam duration.
- Prepare for a long exam duration. The Praxis exam can last between two and five hours, depending on the subjects you choose. To perform well on a long exam, it is vital that you take ample online practice tests to prepare for the real exam. You should also check the Praxis state requirements to choose the appropriate test and study plan.
The 10 Best Praxis Prep Books to Help You Get Ready
1. Praxis Core Study Guide 2021-2022: Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Test Prep Book with Reading, Writing, and Mathematics Practice Exam Questions by J.G. Cox
- Best for: Educators wanting a comprehensive book for complete test preparation
This Praxis Core study guide is the latest edition that provides a learning plan for mathematics, reading, and writing sections of the Praxis test. It is published by Cirrus Test Prep which also offers comprehensive books on other assessments.
This guide provides a variety of preparation materials, including detailed explanations, two practice exam questions, and detailed reviews of the exam format. It covers statistics, geometry, language, probability, essay writing, and reading topics.
2. Praxis Core Test Prep Study Guide 2nd Edition (2021-2022) by Kathleen Jasper Ed.D.
- Best for: Prospective teachers wanting plenty of prep resources
The Praxis Core Test Prep guide is authored by Kathleen Jasper Ed.D., who specializes in teacher preparation. The book covers all three Praxis Core sections, offering around 500 practice questions to prepare you for the reading, writing, and mathematics sections. This is a great choice for teachers looking for 200 Praxis Core math exam questions.
3. Praxis Core Study Guide 2021-2022 by Newstone Teaching Test Prep Team
- Best for: Educators looking for full-length practice tests and detailed answer explanations
Acing the Praxis Core exam allows you to solidify teaching skills for any career path including, of course, that of an educator. This Praxis Core study guide prepares you for the reading, writing, and math exam. It has a study plan with detailed explanations of answers and additional practice questions. You will find correct answers to multiple-choice and essay questions.
4. Praxis Prep Twelfth Edition by Kaplan Test Prep
- Best for: Elementary educators wanting a guide for ELT Praxis exam strategies, practice questions, and online prep options
Kaplan Test Prep specializes in providing prep classes, test-taking tips, books, and additional learning materials for a wide range of standardized tests. This teacher’s test prep book is a great study resource that also offers a passing score guarantee. You can use this Praxis Core study guide to practice for all three sections of the exam.
5. Praxis Core For Dummies with Online Practice Tests by Carla C. Kirkland and Chan Cleveland
- Best for: New educators wanting to practice their critical thinking and research abilities to prepare for sections of the test
As the name suggests, the Praxis Core For Dummies book is apt for educators who are new to the exam format and topic areas. It offers a comprehensive study plan and online practice tests to prepare you for the real exam. It is a great resource for teachers looking to gain test-taking strategies and find tips on how to ace the Praxis tests.
6. Praxis Core Reading & Writing Practice Tests by Exam Sam
- Best for: Teachers wanting a guide for the reading and writing section of the Praxis Core exam
This Praxis Core reading and writing book is best suited for educators looking for study materials and practice tests covering the English, analytics, and critical thinking sections. Exam Sam offers four full-length practice tests with 56 questions on each exam. You can practice your English grammar, referencing, citation, argumentative, and reading abilities.
7. Praxis II English Language Arts by Cirrus Teacher Certification Exam Prep Team
- Best for: English teachers wanting a credible teachers’ test prep guide by Cirrus Praxis experts
This Praxis II English study guide is written by a team of experts at Cirrus who provide tips on analysis and content exam sections. Key features include access to free online practice tests, test preparation tips, and expert review on your test prep. This Praxis II guide covers reading, writing, and language questions.
8. Praxis Core Writing Boss by Shana R. Ginsburg Esq.
- Best for: English educators looking for study guides for the writing section of the Praxis Core exam
This Praxis Core writing guide covers grammar, authoritative writing, and essay writing styles. It offers online material with two full-length practice tests and test-taking tips.
9. Praxis II Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects by Kathleen Jasper Ed.D.
- Best for: Teachers looking for prep materials for social studies, math, English, and science Praxis sections
This Praxis II is a combination of a study guide and a full-length practice test covering social studies, math, language, and science sections of the Praxis test. It covers test-taking tips, 500 test questions, and in-depth answers to the questions. It is a self-paced option great for educators looking to enhance their exam-taking skills and academic ability.
10. Praxis Core Math 5733: A Workbook for the Math Phobic by Daniel Charles Eiblum MSEd, Eaton Chong Lee M.S., Michael Forman M.S., Harrison Argusa M.S., William Miller P.h.D, Ramya Vishnubhotla P.h.D, Danny Zheng M.S., and Michelle Kaplan Cohen
- Best for: Teachers looking to polish their skills for the Praxis Core mathematics section
This Praxis Core book is a great resource for educators looking to practice their math skills. It is a multi-authored book that offers a comprehensive study plan and practice tests for algebra, geometry, statistics, and graphs.
Free Praxis Books and Resources to Help You Get Ready
- Khan Academy: Official Praxis Core Prep
- Teachers Test Prep: Praxis Study Guides
- Mometrix Test Prep Review: Praxis Core Practice Test Review
- 4Tests: ETS Praxis Exam
- Test Guide: Free Praxis I Practice Tests
Best Praxis Prep Books FAQ
The best Praxis books are Praxis Core Writing Boss, Praxis Core Study Guide 2021-2022, Praxis II Elementary Education, and Praxis Core Reading & Writing.
A good Praxis prep book should cover full-length practice tests, exam-taking strategies and tips, and an in-depth study plan covering targeted Praxis sections. It should cover different types of questions with well-described answers. The best books offer additional resources to support your learning.
You can find the best Praxis prep books across top online shopping websites and publisher websites.
You can prepare for the Praxis Core exams by dedicating one to two months to doing online practice tests covering reading, writing, and math subjects.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.