Tech occupations used to only be available to college graduates. Now, you can begin a career in tech with no prior experience by enrolling in a coding bootcamp. With tech jobs being the latest career trend, the best coding bootcamps are becoming a popular option to fuel a career transition to tech.
Do tech companies really hire bootcamp grads? To answer this question, we will focus on Lyft, a popular ridesharing company. You will learn whether Lyft hires bootcamp graduates, what Lyft jobs are available to bootcamp grads, and the best educational path for a Lyft career. Read on to know how to get a job at Lyft with coding bootcamp training.
What Do Employers Think of Bootcamp Grads?
According to our State of the Bootcamp Market Report 2021, many top employers hire bootcamp grads and think highly of them and their experience. Companies like Google and Amazon do not require a formal degree for job applicants, opting to focus on work experience. As long as you choose the right bootcamp, employers will see you as a valid candidate.
Do Tech Companies Hire Bootcamp Grads?
Yes, tech companies do hire bootcamp graduates. Flatiron is one bootcamp with very high job placement rates. Its 2020 Jobs Report stated that about 86 percent of graduates had found jobs within the reporting period. Ironhack is another bootcamp with high job placement rates, with 89 percent of its graduates securing jobs 180 days after graduation.
These bootcamps have partnerships with several tech companies that hire their bootcamp graduates. They also offer career services to help students meet the job market skills and secure jobs more easily.
Does Lyft Hire Bootcamp Grads?
Yes, Lyft hires bootcamp graduates to join its apprenticeship program. This is where you can learn more about software engineering and prepare for a job at Lyft. The apprentices will have the opportunity to engage with engineering teams, get mentored by Lyft engineers, learn new technologies, and ship code to production environments.
College Degrees vs Bootcamps: Which Option Better Prepares Students to Work at Lyft?
A degree better prepares students to work at Lyft, but a bootcamp can still give you the skills and knowledge you need. To help you weigh your options, we describe below how educational paths best prepare students for a job at Lyft. You will also learn more about what Lyft looks for in employees to help you better prepare for securing a job there.
What Lyft Looks For in an Employee
- Collaboration. Teams working together to accomplish their goals is part of the company culture at Lyft. The company needs employees who can work well with the rest of the team to create high-quality products and provide top-notch services.
- Creativity. In a company like Lyft, you should be creative and innovative as an employee. The company is looking for talents and skills to continue growing and providing the best service to its drivers, riders, and partners worldwide.
- Excellent Customer Service. Regardless of your role at Lyft, you will need strong customer skills. The company provides services to people and needs to have a solid customer base to excel. This is why Lyft believes in prioritizing customer needs and relies on employees to satisfy those needs.
- Diversity and Inclusion. Lyft strongly values being inclusive and diverse as well as building a work environment that reflects the service the company provides. It strives to provide a safe environment for everyone regardless of who they are to enable them to reach their full potential.
How a Degree Prepares You to Be the Perfect Lyft Employee
- Communication Skills. Lyft values an environment where everyone can communicate and function as a team. Communication is a skill that earning a degree will provide you with as you get to participate in a lot of group work and extracurricular activities that help build students’ oral and verbal communication.
- Diversity and Inclusion. Colleges are institutions filled with people from various parts of the world with different personalities and identities. This environment makes it possible for students to practice inclusivity. Lyft places high value on being inclusive and diverse and encourages its employees to follow these standards.
- Teamwork. Earning a degree will build the spirit of teamwork by working with multiple people to achieve a common goal. This is one of the values of Lyft as it wants employees who are willing to work together to achieve the company’s goals.
- Time Management. College helps you perfect the skill of managing your time effectively through the classes and tight schedules that you have to work through to meet your deadlines. This prepares students for real-life situations they will face at Lyft, with even more packed schedules and deadlines to meet customer demands.
How a Bootcamp Prepares You to Be the Perfect Lyft Employee
- Job-Specific Skills. Bootcamps are designed to provide students with in-demand, job-specific skills. This makes it possible for bootcamp grads to have rewarding careers in their desired fields. The skills learned in a coding bootcamp will help you excel at a company like Lyft that prioritizes creativity and other soft and hard skills.
- Real-Life Experience. The majority of coding bootcamps teach their students using hands-on experience to help them build skills that can be applied in real-life situations. Bootcamp graduates work on real projects that can help them fit right in a company like Lyft and be productive.
- Strategic Problem-Solving Skills. Since bootcamp students work on real-life projects, they get to build their problem-solving skills. They can solve problems through their learned skills, making them job-ready upon graduation.
- Collaboration and Teamwork. Much like colleges, coding bootcamps encourage teamwork and collaboration in their students. Many coding bootcamps allow their students to work together on projects multiple times during the program. This helps make students ready for the team spirit that Lyft wants in employees.
What Lyft Jobs Are Available to Bootcamp Grads?
Lyft has many job positions that you can apply for as a bootcamp graduate, regardless of your area of specialty. As a bootcamp graduate who would like to work with Lyft, you can start out with an apprenticeship role and graduate eventually to a permanent role. You will work with seasoned professionals and learn more about your chosen field.
|Lyft Job Title
|Average Lyft Salary
|Average Salary (US)
|Best Bootcamp Option
|Cloud Security Engineer
Software engineers work to apply engineering principles to software development. They design, create, install, test, analyze, and modify software programming applications that meet user needs through the use of programming languages. Software engineers can work in any industry as part of an organization or as freelancers.
How Flatiron School Can Help You Become a Software Engineer at Lyft
Flatiron School offers a software engineering coding bootcamp in different formats and paces to enable students to learn in their preferred format. The course is taught by experienced software engineers who have a passion for teaching. Students also get access to career coaches to help them start careers in tech. To learn more about this coding bootcamp’s offerings, check the Career Karma Flatiron School review.
iOS engineers work with a team to design software applications for the iOS platform and get them into the App Store. iOS engineers will design, code, install, test, and maintain iOS applications to ensure that they function correctly. They also work to check for and fix errors and bugs. iOS engineers manage the entire application system using engineering principles.
How General Assembly Can Help You Become an iOS Engineer at Lyft
General Assembly helps students learn to be iOS engineers from industry expert instructors. These instructors also help them break into the tech industry through one-on-one career coaching, access to top employers and leaders in tech, and interview preparation. Students also work to build an industry-worthy portfolio to help them secure good jobs. As General Assembly reviews show, the majority of these students are very satisfied with the results.
Data scientists gather, analyze, and interpret data into information that can be used to make well-informed business decisions. This helps the company solve problems, grow, and meet industry standards and trends. Data scientists can work in any industry, from financial institutions to healthcare to government agencies.
How BrainStation Can Help You Become a Data Scientist at Lyft
BrainStation is a top-rated coding bootcamp that combines professional instructors’ teachings with hands-on experience to equip its students with relevant skills and real-life experience. BrainStation provides top-notch career services by providing its students with a career success team to help them launch their data science careers.
As a UX researcher, you will work to research user behavior, needs, and preference to ensure that a website provides the best possible experience for its users. This job includes ensuring that the website’s content, design, and images are suitable to the preferences of the website users and the website is easy to navigate.
How CareerFoundry Can Help You Become a UX Researcher at Lyft
CareerFoundry offers a UX design bootcamp that can help you start a career as a UX researcher by equipping you with the skills, knowledge, and tools you need. Students in this program will also have access to a personal mentor and tutor to help them navigate the profession by providing insights and personalized feedback.
Cloud Security Engineer
Cloud security engineers are professionals who develop, install, maintain, and upgrade cloud networks and cloud-based systems. They provide cyber security and work to investigate, assess, and analyze existing cloud structures. They can find work in organizations with large IT and cloud systems in the tech industry and other established organizations.
How Springboard Can Help You Become a Cloud Security Engineer at Lyft
Springboard equips students with in-demand skills that employers want. Students also have mentors who are experienced cyber security professionals presently working in the field. Students are assigned a one-on-one career coach to help them build their resume, online presence, and interview prep while building a portfolio to showcase to potential employers.
Can a Coding Bootcamp Get Me a Job at Lyft?
Yes, a coding bootcamp can help you get a job at Lyft. It will all start with an apprenticeship. The company typically hires college grads or degree holders for their job roles, but with a bootcamp certificate, you can begin as an apprentice then graduate from there to a full-time position. A bootcamp experience is more than enough to get a job at Lyft.
You will work with seasoned professionals to learn and grow as an expert. You could work as a senior engineer and earn a high annual salary, or you can start with entry-level jobs if you have a non-traditional background. Find a tech job that works for you at Lyft.
Does Lyft Hire Bootcamp Grads? FAQ
Yes, bootcamp graduates get hired by many organizations in both the tech industry and various other industries. Employers in tech industries particularly appreciate coding bootcamp grads, and some believe they are better prepared to join the workforce than graduates of traditional universities.
Yes, employers do recognize bootcamps and are willing to hire their graduates. However, some employers still believe that degree holders are better equipped for the tech industry than bootcamp graduates.
Yes, you can make a career out of Lyft as a driver and a full-time employee. Aside from driving, there are other job opportunities available at Lyft like ITroles, accounting roles, sales management, product management, customer experience, administrative, and communications. You can still make money on Lyft regardless of your role.
Lyft may hire up to 20 new graduates per year, and there are currently 18 open internship positions at the time of writing. Lyft hires interns from a variety of departments and for various roles. As a college student or recent graduate, you have numerous options for landing an internship with Lyft.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.