Information technology (IT) is the use of computer systems to create, maintain, and access information. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, IT occupations are predicted to rise by 13 percent until 2030. Despite the high competition, IT is a field that values skills, which you can easily gain from the fastest online information technology degree programs.
An accelerated online information technology degree can be your best chance at receiving high-quality education at an affordable price to achieve your IT dreams. Continue reading for an overview of the best programs to earn an online information technology degree fast.
What Is an Accelerated Information Technology Degree?
An accelerated information technology degree is an intensive program that allows students to complete their degree requirements in a shorter amount of time. Students can study the same amount of content in less time than they would in a comprehensive undergraduate or graduate course. It not only saves time but also helps graduates start their careers sooner than students in traditional programs.
In the last 20 years, many traditional universities across the United States have introduced accelerated degree programs for several disciplines. Grand Valley State University, for example, has reported that the institution experienced a 70 percent growth in enrollment for accelerated degree programs in 2020.
How Do Accelerated Degrees Work?
Accelerated degrees work by reducing the number of classes taken per term to one or two. It follows a shorter five to eight-week semester instead of the traditional 16-week semester, which compresses the same coursework into fewer classes. Many accelerated programs also feature a career-focused curriculum that eliminates the need for extra electives.
Types of Accelerated Information Technology Degrees
Accelerated degrees, also known as fast-track programs, are not limited to only undergraduate courses. Students can earn a master’s degree in less than 16 months or even earn their bachelor’s and master’s degrees alongside one another.
Accelerated Associate Degrees
Accelerated associate degrees allow a non-traditional student to earn a degree in as little as 15 months or sometimes even less. For example, Ivy Tech Community College’s Associate Accelerated Program is just 11 months long. Each accelerated associate degree follows a different structure. Some institutions allow learners to take more courses or combine their associate and bachelor’s degrees.
Accelerated Bachelor’s Degrees
Instead of doing a traditional four-year undergraduate degree, an accelerated bachelor’s degree is an economical option for students who are eager to enter the workforce or have taken a gap year in the past. Learners have six to seven classes with only two subjects, allowing them to focus entirely on their studies and progress more quickly.
Accelerated Master’s Degrees
Accelerated master’s degrees allow students to earn an advanced degree in one to two years instead of the traditional two to three years. Students follow a rigorous curriculum with fewer classes and more workload to achieve their academic goals at a faster pace.
Combined Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees
Many on-campus and online schools offer combined bachelor’s and master’s degrees to highly ambitious students. During their junior and senior years, students take advanced courses that count toward their master’s degrees. It enables students to save one year of their graduate program, as well as a year’s worth of tuition.
Who Should Get an Accelerated Information Technology Degree?
People who have clear career goals, a great deal of self-motivation, and seek fast career advancement should get an accelerated information technology degree. It is ideal for working adults who already possess the technical skills needed for an IT job and simply need to complete their education at an accredited institution.
Higher education can be very expensive, so accelerated degree programs are perfect for those looking for an affordable tuition rate. Generally, accelerated information technology degrees are offered online. Besides lower tuition, students can save money on transportation and other traditional resources by taking online classes.
Best Accelerated Degrees
How to Get an Information Technology Degree Fast
- Transfer your credits. You can transfer your college credits to your bachelor’s program if you have an associate degree. The transfer credits will reduce the total number of credits required for a regular bachelor’s degree.
- Take advanced courses in high school. Students can gain credits in high school by taking advanced courses that are the same as those offered at a community college.
- Take online classes. If you’re enrolled in a traditional undergraduate program, you can accelerate your studies by taking online classes. Some universities offer classes in both a hybrid and online format, so opting for online classes can save time and money.
- Take summer classes. You can utilize your summer holidays by taking additional courses. It will help you gain extra credits, which will add up to the number of credits required for graduation.
- Enroll in a fast-track program. Any type of accelerated degree program will help you earn your degree sooner. For example, a combined bachelor’s and master’s degree can save you a year on your master’s degree.
What Is the Fastest Online Information Technology Degree?
The fastest online information technology degree is the Master of Science in Advanced Data Analytics offered by the University of North Texas. This degree plan allows students to advance their skills and earn a graduate-level degree in just one year.
Fastest Online Information Technology Degrees: The Basics
|Master of Science in Advanced Data Analytics
|University of North Texas
|Master of Project Management
|1 – 1.5 years
|Master’s Degree in Information Technology Management
|Colorado State University
|1 – 1.5 years
|Master of Science in Information and Communications Technology
|University of Denver
|1.5 – 2 years
|Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Management of Information Technology
|1.5 – 3 years
|Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems
|Albertus Magnus College
|2 – 4 years
|Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security
|2 – 4 years
|Bachelor of Science in Cyber Security
|Southern New Hampshire University
|2 – 4 years
|Bachelor of Science in Computer Programming
|2.5 – 4 years
|Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Informatics
The Fastest Online Information Technology Degrees, Explained
Most of the leading universities in the United States offer a variety of information technology degrees. However, finding the best and fastest information technology degrees can be tough. We’ve compiled a list of the top fastest information technology degrees to make your search easier.
Fastest Information Technology Degree Completion Programs
Students with an associate degree or an unfinished bachelor’s degree should consider enrolling in a degree completion program. These programs allow students to generously transfer previous college credits and earn a degree by taking additional courses at their own pace. Below are some of the fastest information technology degree completion programs.
- Information Technology Bachelor’s Degree Completion Program | George Washington University. This degree completion program requires only five semesters and features evening and Saturday classes. Students can transfer 60 or more credits to obtain their degree as quickly as possible.
- Information Technology Online Program for Adults | Elmhurst University. From programming languages to web development, this degree completion program teaches a variety of technical skills to students. It has a total of 36 semester hours and three concentrations to choose from.
- Bachelor of Science in IT Online Degree Completion for Transfer Students | DePaul University. This is a three-year IT bachelor’s degree program open to students that have a minimum of 30 semester hours of transfer credit. Some of the core courses included are applied networks and security, programming, and systems analysis.
- Computer Information Technology Degree Completion Program | California Baptist University. This is a 16-month-long program available completely online. The program offers a variety of basic and advanced skills that are necessary to enter the computer technology field.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Technology Completion Program | Western Kentucky University. This regionally-accredited program requires a total of 36 credit hours for students that have previous transfer credits. Students will gain both technical and soft skills that can help them successfully land an IT job.
Do Employers Respect Online Degrees?
Yes, employers still care about online degrees because many reputable colleges and universities now provide top-quality instruction through online platforms. Online courses can assist students in developing a variety of soft skills that recruiters value, including time management, communication, and problem-solving.
Online education has grown significantly in popularity in recent years. In addition, because elearning is purely based on technology, it can be highly beneficial for those interested in the fields of information technology and computer science.
What Jobs Can You Get with an Accelerated Information Technology Degree?
- Computer and Information Research Scientist | $131,490
- Computer Network Architect | $120,520
- Software Developer | $110,140
- Computer Systems Analyst | $99,270
- Computer Programmer | $93,000
Best Accelerated Information Technology Degree Jobs
Information technology offers various career opportunities, as it covers a wide range of fields. From database management to data analysis, IT graduates can find jobs in most major industries. However, there are certain high-paying positions that you should consider prioritizing in your job search.
Are Online Information Technology Degrees Worth It?
Yes, online information technology degrees are worth it because they provide high-quality and affordable education. Online education enables students to become familiar with technology, which can assist them in developing the IT skills needed to succeed in their future careers.
Fastest Online Information Technology Degrees FAQ
The best information technology career is a data scientist role. In the last few years, data scientists have been in high demand among all information technology occupations. Data scientists interpret large amounts of data to help organizations make better decisions, and they often earn very high salaries.
Information technology is in demand because the world is increasingly becoming more digitized. Organizations use information technology to sustain business processes and stay up with the ever-changing technological world. With the advancement of technology, there will always be greater demand for IT professionals.
Information technology has changed the world by making our lives easier and smarter through new innovations. From healthcare to online shopping, nearly everything has become more accessible.
Yes, information technology jobs pay well, and they are among the best-paying jobs in the world. IT professionals possess some of the highest-paying skills, such as coding, cloud computing, and development.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.