As a data enthusiast, you may come across these industry-specific terms: big data and data science. More likely, you may have heard how businesses use them to initiate more informed decisions. Last year, the big data analytics market was valued at $231.43 billion, increasing by over $24 billion in just one year. How do companies key into this huge market?
Data scientists create necessary models, utilizing big data to improve business operations. With the role ranking third among the best jobs in America, aspiring data scientists can look forward to a positive career outlook as more companies leverage data to gain a competitive advantage in the market.
Interested to learn more about data science? Data science bootcamp, NYC Data Science Academy (NYCDSA), offers an introductory course to data science. It’s a program fit for beginners who want to dip their toes into this growing field. The best part? The course allows you to learn the foundational topics in data science at $0.
NYC Data Science Academy offers a free Intro course that teaches foundational topics and gives you a headstart in your journey to becoming a data professional.Start learning data science for free with NYC Data Science Academy.
Reviewing NYC Data Science Academy’s Intro to Data Science Course
With over 5,000 graduates, NYC Data Science Academy continues to provide industry-focused data training via its accredited data bootcamps and professional courses. Now, it’s expanding access to quality data training with its new and free Introduction to Data Science course.
The Introduction to Data Science course provides detailed lessons on Python data structures, object-oriented programming, and data analytics and visualization. The program is self-paced, which means you’ll have the freedom and flexibility to learn at your convenience. So, what exactly does the program cover?
Well, the program comprises three units, each tackling the building blocks of data science.
- Conda installation. Learn how to install Conda, an environment manager with cross-platform utility, and work with it. Conda enables data scientists to work effectively with different data tools singled out in isolated environments, preventing the interference that may occur if the tools operate in the same environment.
- Python fundamentals. Learn the basics of Python including data storage, data types, and typecasting. Here, you’ll understand how to assign values to variables and convert them to different forms.
- Data Structures and Control Flows. A strong grasp of these concepts will allow you to work effectively with stored data and understand when and how to run data flow components.
Although the course is free, it does not fall short on quality. Two things make this program unique among other free data science courses.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
First, it applies a practical approach to mastering data science skills. This means that throughout the course, you’ll encounter business-oriented data science problems to test your understanding of the material and reinforce it.
Second, while you learn at your pace, you’ll still have the option to learn alongside others through NYCDSA’s interactive community. Signing up for the course grants you access to a vast community of 7,000 like-minded peers, data science professionals, and alumni who can help further your understanding of the concepts covered and give you a deeper insight into what it’s like to become a data scientist.
What’s Next After the Intro to Data Science Course?
After taking the beginner’s course and you’re confident in your skills, you may choose to move on to NYC Data Science Academy’s flagship Data Science Bootcamp. This is an accredited and immersive program that extensively teaches data science, including lessons in machine learning, deep learning, big data, Python, and R.
The good news? Taking NYCDSA’s free Intro to Data Science course accelerates your admissions process to the academy’s Data Science Bootcamp. In other words, your application is prioritized among others. And since the introductory course builds your foundational data skills, it’s also good preparation for the intensive training you’re sure to experience in the bootcamp.
To know more about the Data Science Bootcamp, here’s an overview of what you’ll learn:
- Data analytics with Python and R. This is currently the only bootcamp that teaches data analytics and visualization with both Python and R, equipping you with statistical analysis and data science skills.
- Business cases in data science. Learn from a curriculum incorporating real-world business cases. You’ll explore datasets using analytics tools to gain valuable insight to improve business operations. With this, you get relevant experience and data skills to tap into employment opportunities.
- Machine learning I and II. This course teaches supervised machine learning (ML), helping students understand theoretical concepts with a practical approach. You’ll learn the mathematical structures of several classical models and build reproducible ML pipelines among several lessons.
- Data science advanced topics. Improve your data science skills with deep learning and scalability. Lessons on scalability include cloud computing and big data technologies, while deep learning contains model architectures.
- Capstone project. Solve real-world business problems using real datasets. You team up with other students as you embark on a final project, deploying the techniques and tools you learned to generate valuable business insight.
Aside from technical training, the bootcamp also comes with built-in career services. That’s right! By enrolling in the bootcamp, you’ll get lifelong access to NYCDSA’s career support. Its services include helping you build a compelling resume and strong professional brand online.
You’ll also have the chance to key into a network of industry-experienced alumni and 500+ hiring partners via workshops, presentations, meetups for career growth, and networking events.
Build Your Data Science Career Today
NYC Data Science Academy has long been in the data scene, equipping learners with the skills necessary to thrive as data analysts, data scientists, or even machine learning engineers. With its extensive catalog of professional development courses and accredited bootcamps, the academy has trained over 2,000 aspiring data professionals (see their success stories here and here).
Now, its furthering access to in-demand data science training through its Intro to Data Science course. To recap, the course is self-paced with eight hours of learning material, and it doesn’t cost a penny—a perfect soft start to data science. Enroll for free today!
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.