Front end developers are responsible for everything we see on the internet (including this webpage). They have a highly important job that affects every technology user throughout the globe. So, how can you join the ranks of these coveted developers? How can you ace your own front end developer interview? Career Karma has the breakdown plus tips to becoming the best front end developer that you can be!
What Is a Front End Developer?
You may have already heard of backend and front end development. While the two different, the main difference is that backend development is behind the scenes while front end development is on the consumer side of things. So, whether you’re working with website functionality or font size, you’ll always have the user in mind. Front end developers are in high demand within the tech industry and are paid generously for their knowledge.
Front End Developer Interview Questions and Answers
So, here’s what you’ve been waiting for; the top front end developer interview questions and answers.
How do you ensure that your website design or web application is accessible and user-friendly?
Answer: For this question, you’ll want to include the following:
- First-hand experience implementing usability and accessibility standards
- A drive to create a web experience that’s accessible to all end users
- Ways that the you have implemented usability and accessibility your previous projects
What are your favorite types of front end development projects to work on? What do you like about them?
Answer: For this question, you’ll want to focus on the following:
- A strong opinion on your favorite types of development
- Enthusiasm for the project types that your employer describes
- Examples of your favorite front end development projects
What’s your process for addressing browser-specific rendering problems? Do you find that a certain browser is more challenging to work with than others?
Answer: For this answer, be sure to include the following:
- Examples of browser-specific workarounds
- Understanding of how browsers render apps and pages
- Knowledge of troubleshooting browser-specific problems
Can you explain the concept of a CSS float and provide an example of its usage?
Answer: This answer will require some memorization and a bit of confidence!
- A concrete definition of CSS floats
- Examples of how you use this element in your code
- Confidence in explaining this technical concept to any audience
Answer: This answer is all about showcasing how you work well when coding with others.
- Experience with code organization and code commenting
- First-hand knowledge of what happens when code isn’t commented appropriately
- A willingness to make things easier on the other development teams
Explain the CSS “box model” and the layout components that it consists of
The CSS box model is a rectangular layout paradigm for HTML elements that consists of:
- Content – The content of the box, where text and images appear
- Padding – A transparent area surrounding the content (i.e., the amount of space between the border and the content)
- Border – A border surrounding the padding (if any) and content
- Margin – A transparent area surrounding the border (i.e., the amount of space between the border and any neighboring elements)
What is strict mode?
Strict Mode is a new feature in ECMAScript 5 that allows you to place a program, or a function, in a “strict” operating context. This strict context prevents certain actions from being taken and throws more exceptions.
It’s important to remember that some of these questions are more specific than others. When preparing for a technical interview, it’s imperative that you do some research on the company that you’ll be speaking with. In addition to research, you can also prepare for both skills based and personality questions.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.