One of the hallmarks of the digital era is convenience. With apps like TaskRabbit, you can order almost all the goods and services you need from your home. From buying a car to hiring a handyperson, you can do almost everything online. If you wouldn’t mind some extra cash in your spare time, check out our guide to making money through TaskRabbit.
If you are wondering how much you can make with TaskRabbit, this article is for you. You will also find the advantages and disadvantages of using the TaskRabbit platform. Finally, there is a step-by-step guide for getting started on the San Francisco-based firm, along with tips for maximizing your profits on the platform.
What Is TaskRabbit?
TaskRabbit is San Francisco-based online gig economy marketplace that gives customers access to their local freelance labor market. Customers can link up with freelance service providers (taskers) and pay them to complete everyday tasks. These tasks can be anything including delivery, moving assistance, house cleaning, plumbing, or furniture assembly.
Since it was founded in 2008, TaskRabbit has helped millions of people earn money by providing odd jobs for those around them. TaskRabbit thoroughly vets its contractors to make sure they’re reliable and trustworthy before they are allowed to start getting clients.
How Does TaskRabbit Work?
After creating a Tasker account and completing your profile, all you have to do is wait for local customers to reach out to get matched with your profile. The customer can choose a same-day task or a future task depending on their needs. If you can provide the labor, accept the task invitation and get the job done. You will receive payment through Stripe within 24 hours after the task is complete.
Tasks aren’t chosen or matched to Taskers randomly. So, you will only get task requests in line with the range of services you provide. When the job has been completed successfully, the customer will mark it as completed and tip their Tasker for a job well done. Tipping is optional and TaskRabbit does not deduct service charges from tips.
How Much Can You Actually Make on TaskRabbit?
According to Glassdoor, you can make as little as $15 per hour to as high as $75 per hour on TaskRabbit. Your hourly wage may vary significantly depending on location, type of service, and efficiency. Naturally, simple tasks like washing a car or running errands at the grocery store attract less money than more professional skills like accounting, electrical work, and computer work.
A task like full-service help moving in New York City can get you up to $75 per hour. The more hours you work, the more you will earn for a specific task. When you deduct the 15 percent TaskRabbit service charge and the initial $25 registration fee, you can still make a significant profit. If you buy any raw material to complete a task, you can get the customer’s money and the base fee.
The Pros and Cons of Working on TaskRabbit
Every online platform comes with pros and cons, and TaskRabbit is no exception. This explains how the platform has helped people provide their services across the US over the years. However, if you’re considering making money on TaskRabbit, learning about these advantages and disadvantages will help you make an informed decision.
Pros of Working on TaskRabbit
- No degree needed. You do not need a college degree to help people grocery shop, wash cars, move out, fix a toilet sink, or carry out many of the odd jobs listed on TaskRabbit. As long as you have the strength and time required to complete the tasks, you can make all the money you want from the platform.
- Low entry barrier. If you do not have a criminal record and pass the background checks, you can start making money on TaskRabbit 48 to 72 hours after registration. Things like years of experience, online certifications, and referrals aren’t compulsory. Some customers may request additional information about your qualifications after the match.
- Flexible schedule. Like other gig marketplaces, TaskRabbit offers a significant degree of flexibility to all its Taskers. So, you can make it a part-time job and accept gigs only when you want. The additional money you make from TaskRabbit can make a significant difference in your annual net income.
- Promote your business. TaskRabbit helps Taskers promote their businesses within their environment. The TaskRabbit algorithm allows you to make your services visible only to your target audience. With time, you will build a strong reputation for your small business. There is also an option to promote your profile, increasing your overall reach.
- Some tasks are covered by limited liability. Unlike ride-sharing companies that make people pay rideshare insurance, TaskRabbit provides limited liability coverage for some tasks. If damage occurs during the job, the platform will help you cover some of the expenses. You will need to read the terms and conditions to know which damages can be covered.
Cons of Working on TaskRabbit
- Matches may be initially challenging. You won’t have any TaskRabbit reviews when you are just starting, so matching with a task might be challenging. The algorithm typically matches people based on several factors such as task acceptance rates, task completion rates, and reviews.
- Higher time commitment. While there are some platforms that offer virtual services, most of the gigs on the platform require in-person attention. If you are matched for a same-day task, the time spent heading to the location isn’t included in the hours billed.
- Lower starting hourly wages. While you can set your rates, you may have difficulty landing jobs if your starting price is on the high side and you haven’t completed many tasks yet. Many new Taskers have to accept half of what other more experienced and highly rated jobs charge for the same task.
- Only local matches are available. TaskRabbit is meant for local gigs, so they will only match you with the closest people to your location. Even if a client in another city needs your set of skills and has the money to pay, you can’t get the job if you’re not in that location. This makes it more restrictive than other traditional gig marketplaces like Upwork and Freelancer.
- Upfront fee, tasks, and other fees. TaskRabbit makes all new users pay an upfront fee of $25, as well as a 15 percent service fee for all payments they receive, minus tips and reimbursements. You also need to pay things like income taxes and sales taxes on your TaskRabbit earnings. These fees can add up, especially when you are new.
How to Become a TaskRabbit Independent Contractor
If you have a credible reputation with no criminal history, you can become a TaskRabbit independent contractor or Tasker in just a few easy steps. Follow this simple process step-by-step to become a service provider on this online platform.
1. Create an Account TaskRabbit.com
With a computer or any Internet-connected device, you can sign up for TaskRabbit within a few minutes. While the web application is excellent, you can also complete the registration process in two to three business days through the mobile app available on Apple and Android stores.
2. Complete Your Profile
After creating your account with your email address and password, you need to complete your profile to move forward to the next stage of the sign-up process. To complete your profile, you need to submit a forward-facing photo, choose your preferred task categories, include how much experience you have, and write a small bio of yourself.
3. Complete the Screening Process
Even after filling your profile, your account will remain inactive until the screening process is completed. TaskRabbit is strict about the screening process since most odd jobs require in-person attendance.
To pass this process, you need to verify your identity and submit your small business license if necessary. If there are discrepancies in the documents you submit for the identity check, TaskRabbit will not verify your account until you have successfully completed the criminal background check.
4. Pay the Required Fee
Each new Tasker must pay a one-time registration fee of $25. This is a fixed sum for Taskers in the United States and it cannot be priced down. Only after you pay the registration fee can you complete the process.
5. Start Getting Orders
As soon as your account has been activated, you can set your schedule, choose your preferred work locations, and make yourself available for different types of tasks. Make sure that you accept and complete orders quickly to get a positive rating and build your reputation on the platform.
How to Make More Money on TaskRabbit
Everyone who signs up on TaskRabbit stands an equal chance of making money by completing odd jobs. However, you can set yourself up to meet your financial goals and earn a less inconsistent income by implementing some of the tips below.
Enable Same-day Tasks
Most customers on TaskRabbit need urgent services, and that’s only available on same-day tasks. Instead of signing up for restrictive future deliveries, enable same-day task completion if it is possible to fit the space into your busy schedule. Depending on the tasks, you can complete multiple for various clients on the same day and make extra money.
Communicate Through the App
Ensure that all your communications, especially your financial negotiations, are completed on the gig economy app. This way, you can hold the customer accountable for everything they say. Also, you can request reimbursement for any other costs incurred during the time of the project. TaskRabbit does not deduct any service charge from reimbursement.
Set Realistic Hourly Rates
Since you have the power to set your own rates, you might go overboard with what you charge per hour. However, this would do more harm than good in the long run. Find out what other tasks in your area are charging for services and set your rate slightly lower. You will attract more potential clients, get positive reviews, then increase your rate until it reaches the market standard.
Be Open to Different Tasks
Versatility is important if you want to make money in the gig economy, especially on TaskRabbit. If you limit yourself to accepting only a specific type of task, you are not going to make enough money in the long run. You should be open-minded about which tasks you can complete so you can build your profile. If possible, go for a variety of tasks that do not require specific credentials or experience.
Qualify for Tips
All customers have the option to tip their Taskers after a job is completed. Since tipping is not mandatory, you need to do a good job if you are to stand a chance at getting a tip. This is the only way to get people to tip you without making any extra demand. If you want to ask for a tip, make sure the job has been completed successfully and the client is 100 percent satisfied.
Is Working on TaskRabbit Worth It?
Yes, using TaskRabbit as an alternative source of income is worth it in the long run. It can be a good way to get multiple streams of income or complete part-time gigs. Elite Taskers and other experienced members of the community make a lot of money from the platform. However, for first-timers who are yet to build a reputation, the income may not be enough to replace a full-time job.
Making Money on TaskRabbit FAQ
How Do Taskers Get Paid?
Taskers get paid through Stripe directly on the application. Stripe is an online payment processing firm that allows businesses to install their APIs to enable simple and secure payments. Customers aren’t obligated to pay until the task has been completed successfully. Upon completion, the money should reflect on your account within 24 hours.
What is an Elite Tasker on TaskRabbit?
An Elite Tasker is an independent contractor on TaskRabbit with an amazing record. They make up about five percent of the platform and have completed hundreds of tasks. They complete tasks swiftly and have been reviewed by multiple regular clients over time. To maintain the Elite Tasker status, you must stay for ninety consecutive days without violating any of the community guidelines.
Do You Pay Taxes on TaskRabbit?
Yes, you are obligated to pay taxes on all your TaskRabbit earnings. You have to manually file for these tasks yourself. TaskRabbit does not forcefully deduct your tasks like traditional companies. Not filing your taxes from TaskRabbit earnings might get you into trouble with regulators.
Do You Need a Business License to Work at TaskRabbit?
Yes, you need a small business license if you stay in California or any state requiring independent contractors to get licenses. If there is no such requirement in your state, you do not need to provide a license to be a service provider in the gig economy.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.