With the booming higher education sector, universities like La Salle University, promising the best programs, can be found around every corner. However, the actual process of verifying whether these institutions really deliver on their promises can be long and arduous. If you are looking to pursue undergraduate or graduate degrees at this school, our La Salle University review can make things a bit easier for you.
It sheds light on La Salle University’s rankings, the types of academic programs it offers and their corresponding costs, and even financial aid opportunities. It also covers other important details including accreditation, admission requirements, and campus life, allowing you to decide whether you and the school are a great fit for each other.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
All About La Salle University
La Salle University was founded in 1863 by the Brothers of the Christian Schools to provide high-quality education that’s deep-rooted in Catholic intellectual and social teaching traditions. Today, it aims to prepare students for a lifelong pursuit of knowledge in liberal arts and professional studies.
It has a total enrollment of 6,448 students pursuing degrees in a wide range of academic disciplines from business, arts, and sciences, all the way to nursing and health care. Its school spirit, full of faith and zeal, seeps into how the university implements its core values of association and justice through service.
Where Is La Salle University Located?
La Salle University’s main campus is located in Northwest Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The campus features modern facilities including state-of-the-art classrooms, food and dining facilities, cafeteria food that includes several vegetarian options, sophisticated laboratories, and enhanced residence for students. The main campus location enables students to enjoy proximity to the city center and a comfortable atmosphere for learning.
This aside, the university also has multiple campuses in other parts of Pennsylvania for location flexibility. Students can pursue degrees at the Buck County Center, Newtown and Montgomery County Center, and Plymouth Meeting. La Salle University also offers fully online and hybrid learning options for distance learners.
Is La Salle University Accredited?
Yes, La Salle University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). It also holds programmatic accreditation by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Make sure you select an accredited university, especially for online education, as it’s crucial to ensure the quality of education promised is maintained.
La Salle University’s combination of regional and programmatic accreditation proves that it offers a premier college experience that equips students with the tools, up-to-date knowledge, and skills for successful careers in their chosen industries after graduation.
Is La Salle University Legit?
Yes, La Salle University is legit. It has an impressive reputation as one of the best business schools in the United States, according to US News & World Report. It also offers a variety of academic programs in other academic sectors, taught by experienced college professors and industry experts, to prepare students for future professions.
La Salle University Student Reviews
La Salle University is rated 3.4 out of 5.0 on Rate My Professor, meaning that it provides a decent education to students. The general consensus among La Salle students is that it is an institution with plenty of opportunities for career development.
It offers great academic degrees and maintains small classes taught by friendly professors. It has a committed faculty that helps students to achieve their academic goals. In regards to teachers, current students stated that they are encouraged to email faculty with questions or meet with them during office hours. The professors are also always ready to offer one-on-one tutoring sessions for students.
On the negative side, there are many complaints regarding the location of the school, such as the high crime rate in the area, minimal campus safety measures, the lack of social opportunities, and low financial aid. To date, there haven’t been any reports of a truly awful experience. Most students would rate it an average college experience.
La Salle University Better Business Bureau Reviews and Complaints
At the moment, the Better Business Bureau does not have any information on reviews or complaints about La Salle University.
La Salle University Rankings
La Salle University appears on the list of the best universities in the country in different categories. As a prospective student, you can expect high-quality academic degrees and an immersive classroom experience that gives the best value for your choice of future profession.
La Salle University US News & World Report Ranking
According to the US News and World Report, La Salle University ranks number 43 on the list of the best Northern regional universities and number 38 among the best colleges for veterans for the year 2022. It also appears on the list of top-performing schools on social mobility. These rankings establish La Salle’s status as an excellent college for students to pursue academic degrees.
La Salle University Times Higher Education Ranking
La Salle University ranks 383 among all US colleges for 2022, according to Times Higher Education. This ranking is based on academic metrics, including resources, engagement, student outcomes, and the learning environment. Among these variables, La Salle ranked the highest for student engagement and outcome.
La Salle University Graduation Rate
La Salle University has a graduation rate of 58 percent, as per the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). At just over 50 percent, this graduation rate is not very high. However, this doesn’t necessarily reflect the quality of education.
The graduation rate simply measures the percentage of La Salle students who complete the academic program that they are enrolled in within the stipulated period for that program. Students who take a gap year or take longer than the allotted time to graduate are not considered in this statistic.
La Salle University Admissions
The admission process for La Salle University begins with an online application on the school’s portal. It is free and open to all prospective students including transfer, undergraduate, international, and adult students. Alternatively, you can use the Common Application or the Coalition Application to apply.
La Salle University Acceptance Rate
La Salle University has an acceptance rate of 81 percent. This implies that the majority of students who apply get admission into La Salle University. This makes it a great choice for students who are looking outside of the standard academic achiever-based school acceptance policies.
Will You Get Into La Salle University?
Yes, you will most likely get into La Salle University because it is not highly selective. As long as you meet the admission requirements, which include a high school diploma, a minimum GPA score, standardized test scores (SAT or ACT), a letter of recommendation, and a personal essay.
How to Apply to La Salle University
- Start the online application. Prospective students can begin the application process by creating an account on the application page on La Salle University’s official website. You can also apply via the Common Application and Coalition Application.
- Choose between traditional or test-optional application review. At La Salle, you have the chance to choose the admission path that best reflects your abilities, knowledge, skills, and life experiences. Students who opt for the test-optional application review do not have to submit standardized test scores and can instead highlight their extracurricular achievements.
- Submit admissions document. Upload the admission documents, including your official high school transcripts, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores, and personal essay. International students are required to submit proof of English language proficiency.
- Wait for admission decision. After completing the online application, you will receive a notification on the status of your application within a couple of months of the deadline.
La Salle University Cost
|Expense||La Salle University Cost|
|La Salle University Undergraduate Tuition and Fees||$33,150|
|La Salle University Graduate Tuition and Fees||$885/credit (depends on the degree)|
|La Salle University Books and Supplies||$1,000|
|La Salle University On-Campus Room and Board||$15,350|
|La Salle University Off-Campus Room and Board||$7,500|
According to data from CollegeFactual, La Salle students have higher campus living costs than the average nationwide expense of $14,951. Here, it costs around $15,350 to live on campus and $7,500 to live off-campus. Moreover, students who stay off-campus have to bear the extra cost of transportation to campus. Books and supplies also cost an average of $1,000 per year.
Cost of Living in Philadelphia
The cost of living in Philadelphia, which is where La Salle University’s main campus is based, is 10 percent higher than the national average, according to PayScale. The individual costs of housing, utilities, groceries, and transportation are higher than the national average by 11, 10, 17, and 13 percent respectively. However, the cost of healthcare is one percent lower than the national average.
Philadelphia is more expensive to live in due to factors such as the average salary, the real estate market, and career options in the state. Most prominently, it has a bubbling art scene and is home to many industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, and finance.
La Salle University Financial Aid
La Salle University offers a wide range of financial aid opportunities, including grants, scholarships, federal and private loans, work-study programs, and tuition exchange. NCES reports that there are around 582 students receiving financial aid of some kind at La Salle University, within the current student body of 4,043.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Students have to meet certain requirements to be eligible for financial aid opportunities. The qualification for each financial aid program differs depending on the type of aid. It is also possible to simultaneously benefit from more than one financial aid package if you meet the requirements. However, the competition for aid is quite high as hundreds of student applicants enroll every year.
La Salle University Scholarships
- Christian Brothers’ Scholarship. This is a full, merit-based scholarship granted to incoming freshmen. It covers the full cost of private school tuition for up to four years of undergraduate study. Interested students must fill out a separate application, complete an essay, and submit two letters of recommendation before school starts to be considered.
- Community Service Scholarship. This scholarship grants an annual sum of $5,000 to freshman students who have an outstanding history of service and an interest in future community service opportunities. It requires a separate application that must be submitted before January 15.
- Legacy Scholarship. This scholarship grants an annual sum of $1,000 to students who are direct descendants of three generations of La Salle University alumni. This includes children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.
- Founder’s Scholarship. This merit-based scholarship awards between $4,000 to $18,000 towards private school tuition of incoming transfer or freshmen students. Every student who applies for admission into La Salle University is automatically eligible for this scholarship. The winners are selected based on GPA, standardized test scores, and individual course selections.
- The Walter and Beverly Lomax Endowed Scholarship. This scholarship was founded by Walter P. Lomax Jr., MD in 2006 as a memorial to his parents. It is awarded to exceptional African-American students with financial needs. The amount offered varies depending on the student’s financial needs. However, the student must be pursuing an undergraduate degree to qualify.
La Salle University Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
According to the US Department of Education (DOE) College Scorecard, the median earnings for a La Salle University graduate is $63,561. This is greater than the midpoint for most four-year schools at $47,891 and thus can be considered a respectable salary. However, graduate salaries also depend on other factors including profession, career prospects, industry, location, education levels, and expertise of the person.
A survey by La Salle University in 2018 reported that 68 percent of graduates were either employed, continuing their education, or engaged in a service program within six months of graduation. More than half the university’s graduates are able to pursue advanced opportunities in their chosen career fields, reflecting highly on La Salle’s career potential for student prospects.
La Salle University Notable Alumni
La Salle University has produced some highly influential figures in politics, sports, arts, and science. Here are a few examples of notable alumni.
- Peter Boyle
- Joe Bryant
- Jessica Barth
- Matthew Quick
- Tom Curley
La Salle University Campus Life
La Salle University provides an immersive learning environment, which allows students to make the most of their college experience. With over 120 clubs and student organizations, La Salle has lots for students with varied interests to engage in, including lots of clubs (both academic and extracurricular), Greek life, committees for campus safety, and community service. It also has numerous sports teams, which helps promote school spirit.
There are plenty of student activities to meet amazing people, explore your passions, experience center city food and dining, enjoy interesting campus experiences, and overall enrich your dorm life. Clubs are another excellent way of making friends with people. The most popular ones at La Salle are AIDS Outreach, African American Student League, Community Service Scholars, and Habitat for Humanity.
La Salle University also provides a college career center to help students achieve their education, career, and life goals. Students not only have a place to voice out candid career questions, but also benefit from academic support programs including subject tutoring, writing support, freshman advising, and career development advising.
La Salle University Academics
La Salle University offers undergraduate and graduate programs in several subjects. Its current student body includes 3,300 undergraduate and 1,920 graduate students pursuing 44 academic degrees in a wide array of disciplines including chemistry, computer science, economics, accounting, nursing administration, and social work.
The academic programs award a Bachelor of Science (BS) or a Bachelor of Arts (BA) at the undergraduate level and a Master of Science (MS), Master of Arts (MA), or a Master of Business Administration (MBA) at the graduate level. These degrees prepare students for a purposeful and rewarding career. It is an academic achiever-based school with a committed faculty willing to push students to achieve their potential.
A notable characteristic of La Salle University is its unique classroom experience. Unlike other universities with hundreds of students in a class, La Salle University’s class sizes are small to the extent that students can build close relationships with professors. Given that the professors know every student so closely, they are able to provide personalized attention to these students and their academic needs.
La Salle University Colleges and Departments
|School or Department Name||Available Program Examples|
|School of Arts and Sciences||BA in Journalism, BA in Mass Media, BA in Political Science, BA in Economics, BS in Chemistry, BS in Biology, BS in Environmental Science, MA of Education, and MS in Cyber Security|
|School of Business||BS in Accounting, BS in Finance, BS in Marketing, BS in Business Administration, MBA in Accounting, MS in Business Systems and Analytics, MS in Supply Chain Management and Analytics|
|School of Nursing and Health Sciences||BS in Medical Technology, BS in Nursing Administration, BS in Nursing Education, Nursing and Public Health, BS in Nursing, MBA in Nursing Administration|
La Salle University Faculty
The La Salle University faculty members are distinguished scholars and industry experts in their respective academic disciplines nationally and globally. Student reviews on Rate My Professors indicated that students feel comfortable enough to email faculty with questions and college professors provide all the support they need to excel in their academics.
Notable faculty members are Caitlin Taylor and Kathleen Bogle, both professors in the Criminal Justice Department, and Viggiano Paul, a professor in the Communication Department. These lecturers were ranked 5 out of 5 stars by many students due to their high quality of instruction, interactiveness, and support for students’ academic endeavors.
Popular La Salle University Majors
Popular La Salle University majors include marketing, accounting, criminal justice, nursing, and communication. Below is a brief explanation of the most popular La Salle University majors and future career options for the same.
La Salle University Marketing
Organized by the School of Business, this program mixes hands-on learning, extracurricular activities, internships, and travel/study courses to provide professional development opportunities for students with a lack of leadership to pursue high-paying careers in the marketing industry.
Students learn advanced marketing and marketing management skills such as making effective presentations, creating advertising campaigns, conducting marketing research, and analyzing consumer behavior.
La Salle University Marketing and Marketing Management Jobs
- Social Media Officer. A social media officer helps a company to increase its customer base by engaging target customers on social media platforms. They employ marketing strategies to advertise the company in ways that help increase their customer base.
- Customer Relations Representative. A customer relations representative interacts with clients to provide customer service solutions and address complaints or inquiries. They also provide information to customers on available products and services.
- Search Engine Marketing Specialist. Search engine marketing specialists have similar jobs to social media officers, except specific to the field of search engines. They develop the overall SEO strategy of a company. To do so, they perform a wide range of tasks including web marketing, web analytics, keyword strategy, link building, and content strategy.
La Salle University Accounting
La Salle University offers an accounting undergraduate major specifically designed to teach students to communicate and interpret financial information at a more applicative level. Once supported by the School of Business, the accounting program has produced graduates who have gone on to become presidents and CEOs for many Fortune 500 companies.
While La Salle is a well-connected school in general, this specific program exposes students to career opportunities in the industry through partnerships with prestigious accounting firms including KPMG, Deloitte, Johnson & Johnson, and PriceWater Corporation.
La Salle University Accounting Jobs
- Accountant. Accountants collect, record, track, and correct the financial information of their company. They also manage the financial statement and bookkeeping ledgers to ensure both accuracy of recorded financial data and prompt tax payment.
- Financial Planner. Also known as wealth management advisors, they help their clients create a budget for spending, minimizing, controlling, and managing expenses. Financial planners also offer support and guidance in investment, insurance, and financial planning.
- Internal Auditor. Internal auditors analyze the financial documents of an organization to ensure compliance with federal rules. They identify financial risks, errors, and excesses and offer recommendations to improve the organization’s financial status.
La Salle University Criminal Justice
This major, offered by the School of Arts and Sciences, introduces students to the concept of justice, the social experience of punishment, social justice and the process of addressing crime, as well as administering justice in society. It also covers criminal behavior, the human impacts of crime policy, and the problems of the criminal justice system.
La Salle University Criminal Justice Jobs
- Victim Services Advocate. They act as the liaison between the criminal court and the crime victim. The advocate counsels crime victims and advises them on how to navigate the criminal justice system. They also provide emotional support to help the victim cope with trauma brought on by their experiences with crime.
- Immigration Inspector. Immigration inspectors enforce immigration and customs laws on people and goods that pass through the country’s border. They work at airports, seaports, rail stations, and vehicle border crossings to ensure that contrabands are not carried into the country.
- Crime Prevention Specialist. Crime prevention specialists are a unique force within the criminal justice system. They develop plans and strategies to reduce the crime rate in a given area. They also collaborate with communities to better understand local criminal patterns and prepare for criminal occurrences.
La Salle University Nursing
La Salle University is reputed for its challenging nursing programs. The curriculum incorporates plenty of student activities in the form of state-of-the-art simulation labs, clinical experiences, and collaboration with an internally-recognized faculty to prepare students for a grueling lifestyle like medicine. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program also has a job placement rate of 100 percent.
La Salle University Nursing Jobs
- Nurse Midwife. A nurse-midwife provides prenatal, delivery, and postnatal care to women during their pregnancies and deliveries, respectively. They also provide gynecological care and family planning services to women during their reproductive years.
- Informatics Nurse. Informatics nurses manage, record, and supply the healthcare data that doctors and nurses use when handling their patients. They are also responsible for the employment of medical technologies to improve the delivery of healthcare services.
- Nursing Administrator. Unlike most people in the nursing profession, nurse administrators work in upper management. They provide support and human resources services in medical facilities. They are also responsible for hiring and training staff and handling the business aspects of the nursing profession.
La Salle University Communication
La Salle University offers a Bachelor and Master of Arts in Communication with concentrations in advising, interpersonal communication, media and journalism, public relations, and sports communication. The program combines theory and practical knowledge to educate students in the creation, interpretation, and evaluation of messages across different channels of communication.
La Salle University Communication Jobs
- Public Relations Specialists. Public relations specialists are responsible for controlling the public perception of a company’s image through the media. They write press releases, newsletters, and adverts to promote the right messages about their company.
- Human Resources Specialist. Human resource specialists are involved in communication-intensive functions such as recruiting staff, developing training programs, educating staff, and creating company newsletters. They also manage the welfare of employees in the company.
- Brand Manager. Brand managers are marketing managers that control and manage the delivery of products and services to the public. They first scan the market for competing products and their corresponding branding strategies. Then, they employ marketing initiatives to ensure that their products have favorable reception in the market.
Is La Salle University Worth It?
Yes, La Salle University is worth it because it offers excellent education to students that equip students with the knowledge and skillset to build fulfilling careers. It is a great college for students who value a personal college experience, an inspirational environment, and a sense of community.
It offers experiential learning, personalized education, a nice campus, and flexible hours, which helps students to make the most of their college education. Moreover, life on campus is highly engaging given that there are lots of clubs and service projects for students to engage in. This both improves students’ college experiences and helps them make friends with people they will work alongside.
La Salle University Review FAQ
Yes, La Salle is a good school. It offers excellent undergraduate and graduate degrees supported by the Schools of Arts and Sciences, Business, and Nursing and Healthcare. As a well-connected school, it also offers plenty of potential for students to network.
Yes, La Salle University is a relatively safe school. A survey by Niche gave it a grade of C+ based on on-campus security, student reviews about campus safety, and local area crime rates. You will find security booths located on the streets of La Salle and in the parking lots for students. However, like any school in a major city, you need to be alert when going about the campus.
No, La Salle University is not an Ivy League school. The eight ivy league schools are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, University Of Pennsylvania, and Yale University.
Yes, La Salle University is a party school. There is easy access to bars, house parties, and frat parties. As a prospective student, you will have a lot of partying options almost every night of the week. Students also organize party events such as homecoming weekend, saint Patrick’s weekend, Halloween, and graduation.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.