Knowing about the top 10 largest companies in Connecticut will help in your job search in this state. This guide will help you learn essential information on each of these 10 companies and which are the largest employers and midsized employers in Connecticut. You will also gain access to company profiles, which will help you choose the right company for your career.
This article will offer you information on how we defined the biggest companies in Connecticut, the jobs currently available in this state, and where to find jobs. We aim to put you on the right path to securing the best employment accessible in Connecticut, whether you’re just getting started or it’s time for a career change.
How We Defined the Largest Companies in Connecticut
The biggest companies in Connecticut were rated based on the number of employees. We collated the total number of employees for each company, and the top 10 company profiles are ordered from the most to least employees. This means that the companies below have many job opportunities and job openings.
The Top 10 Largest Companies in Connecticut
|Rank||Company||City||Number of Employees|
|4||Otis Elevator Company||Farmington||69,000|
|5||Stanley Black & Decker||New Britain||61,000|
|10||First Health Medical Group||East Hartford||5,000|
Glencore is one of the largest and most globally diversified natural resource companies in the world. It manufactures and sells metals, minerals, and energy resources. The company has around 150 mining, metallurgical, and oil-producing assets as part of its operations. Glencore also has a marketing and recycling division.
Glencore’s goal is to properly source commodities that benefit society and the business community. Headquartered in Stamford, the company is one of the largest employers in Connecticut with a high employee retention rate. The average salary at Glencore is about $63,974 per year.
Jobs Available at Glencore
- Traffic Coordinator: A traffic coordinator directs and monitors the movement of multiple commodities from purchase to sale. They organize transportation, streamline logistics, monitor customer accounts, and interact with multiple counterparties across the supply chain.
- Structural Engineer: A structural engineer conducts engineering activities and projects that need technical expertise to achieve given goals in a safe, efficient, and cost-effective manner. The structural engineer is responsible for the structural and seismic design of concrete and steel structures.
- Truck Driver: A truck driver is responsible for driving a collection vehicle safely and providing customers with quick, courteous, and thorough waste removal services. This job requires at least a class B driver’s license with an air brakes endorsement and a minimum of two years of prior experience driving large commercial trucks.
Where to Find Glencore Jobs
You can find job listings from Glencore on its official website and job listing sites such as Indeed and LinkedIn. Applying through the company website is the best way to reach decision makers.
Charter Communications is a prominent broadband connectivity firm and cable operator through its Spectrum brand. This company supplies services to more than 31 million customers in 41 states. Through Spectrum Networks and Spectrum Originals, the Company also provides award-winning news, sports, and high-quality original programming to its customers.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
Charter Spectrum is the fastest-growing television, Internet, and telecommunications provider. As of 2019, the corporation has over 96,100 employees and annual revenue of around $45.8 billion, according to Zippia. It also has strong diversity efforts compared to other American corporations.
Jobs Available at Charter Communications
- Call Center Sales Retention Representative: This representative offers consulting services. They are active listeners who use their problem-solving skills to help ease customer concerns. They handle customer conversations, computer billing, and requisition programs.
- Software Developer: A software developer creates, updates, upgrades, and launches software systems to support new and existing business activities. Other responsibilities include writing programs that meet functional and non-functional criteria and coding, testing, and debugging new software or improving current software.
- Advanced Monitoring Technician: This technician is responsible for the initial triage, escalation, and resolution of linear insertion, digital insertion, processes, workflows, and apps. They manage basic network operations like monitoring data on all sites and recognizing component deterioration. They also assist field staff with repairs.
Where to Find Charter Communication Jobs
Job listings from Charter Communications are available on job search websites like Indeed, LinkedIn, and Monster. You can also look on the company’s official website.
Amphenol is one of the world’s major providers of high-technology connection, sensor, and antenna systems. Amphenol creates connectors and interconnects systems to transmit electrical and optical signals for various electronic applications. It has many other business partners in the state as well.
Amphenol has a high employee retention rate, with employees staying on average for five years. The average salary at Amphenol is $52,905 per year, according to Zippia. Amphenol is a market leader, with about 80,000 employees and $8.2 billion in annual revenue.
Jobs Available at Amphenol
- Financial Analyst: A financial analyst manages the company’s lease data and processes, which includes lease database maintenance. They review and input new and existing lease data, verify summarized lease data from US and international operations, and coordinate with other departments.
- Line Assembler: A line assembler offers repair services by partially or entirely assembling cables and antennas. These are mainly used in the automotive industry. They may work on a bench or the shop floor.
- Product Manager: A product manager identifies and prioritizes new product needs and opportunities. They maintain technical expertise on product lines, know product costs, and design regular promotional programs for product lines.
Where to Find Amphenol Jobs
Job listings are available on Amphenol’s company career page.
Otis Elevator Company
The Otis Elevator Company is an American firm that designs, manufactures, and sells elevators, escalators, moving walkways, and other elevator-related products. Otis Elevator’s average annual salary is $51,614, which is competitive for its industry and location. Based in Farmington, Connecticut, Otis Elevator is a market leader with 69,000 employees.
Jobs Available at Otis Elevator Company
- Material Handler: A material handler is in charge of handling a wide range of components, packaging goods and equipment, and keeping an inventory. The position requires candidates to maintain a valid PIV license and examine and repair PIV equipment before use. This job also requires a high school diploma.
- Embedded Software Engineer: A software engineer designs, develops, tests, and releases software products. They are in charge of the software that verifies access to embedded elevator components, including its design, development, testing, and maintenance.
- Project Manager: A project manager ensures that each project is completed on time and on budget. They should also meet all technical and safety standards, regulatory compliance requirements, and customer expectations. They coordinate all contract activities from the project award stage to its completion.
Stanley Black & Decker
Stanley Black & Decker specializes in the production of hand and power tools, storage, and home appliances. Brands like Stanley Black & Decker, FatMax, DeWalt, Bostitch, Porter-Cable, Facom, Emhart Teknologies, Proto, Kwikset, and Mac Tools concentrate on mechanical and electronic security and engineered fasteners.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
Stanley Black & Decker, based in New Britain, has a high employee retention rate, with employees staying for an average of five years. Stanley Black & Decker’s average annual salary is $54,462, while the company’s yearly sales are at $14.4 billion.
Jobs Available at Stanley Black & Decker
- IT Operations Manager: An IT operations manager must understand the overall IT infrastructure. They monitor key service delivery processes and resources and identify opportunities for more efficient delivery. They also participate in the overall planning and design of specific core business systems.
- Application Integration Architect: This professional defines the log analytics and monitoring architecture. They must demonstrate commitment to software development best practices, such as documentation, reusable code design, and test-driven implementation. They interact with the internal team to ensure code meets design and configuration requirements.
- Service Dispatcher: A service dispatcher receives incoming phone calls, assesses and dispatches service calls, and provides feedback to the call center. They also assist the field team with call overloads and direction, among other responsibilities.
Where to Find Stanley Black & Decker Jobs
You can find jobs on the company’s website or job search sites like LinkedIn, Indeed, and Monster.
Baker Hughes is a renowned energy technology company offering manufacturing services. The company’s goal is to take energy forward by designing, manufacturing, and servicing innovation. Baker Hughes pays its average employee $65,876 per year and has $22.9 billion in yearly revenue.
Jobs Available at Baker Hughes
- Software Engineer: A software engineer delivers small-scale software engineering services and tasks. They design, build, and test complex software solutions that deliver corporate value. They also offer technical input while defining, developing, and changing software in an Agile development environment.
- Manufacturing Specialist: A manufacturing specialist operates various machines and hand tools while adhering to safety procedures. They must also complete all tasks, sequences, and techniques required for work quickly and accurately.
- Entry-Level Machine Operator: This operator verifies that the machines being used are set up properly and safely. During machine operation, the operator is accountable for the product’s quality and the entry of any relevant data. They ensure the maintenance of proper line speed during the manufacturing run.
Where to Find Baker Hughes Jobs
You can find job listings on job search websites such as Indeed.
Aetna is a diversified healthcare benefits company that offers innovative products and services to individuals, businesses, and healthcare providers and producers. The company offers a wide variety of traditional and consumer-directed health insurance products and services. Based in Hartford, Aetna is a market leader with 47,950 workers and $60.6 billion in yearly revenue.
Jobs Available at Aetna
- Case Management Coordinator: A case management coordinator conducts comprehensive evaluations of referred members’ needs and eligibility for healthcare benefits. They use care management tools and data review to suggest strategies for case resolution and addressing members’ needs.
- Care Management Associate: A case management associate is a customer service representative who calls customers and evaluates their benefit plans. This professional is part of an initiative to help Medicaid receivers find the care and services they need.
- Analyst: An analyst creates client sites, including benefit plan rules, details, prices, text, and documents. They test client sites for proper functionality and quality, conduct regression testing to discover software enhancement needs, import data into the system as needed, and help with ad hoc client projects.
Where to Find Jobs at Aetna
You can find jobs at the career section of Aetna’s official website and the CVS Health website.
With a sole focus on freight transportation, XPO Logistics is a leading supply chain partner to blue-chip companies across every primary industry. It has a global network of 756 locations that assist shippers in managing their supply chains more efficiently by using innovative technology.
XPO Logistics, based in Greenwich, is a market leader with $16.6 billion in yearly revenue. With 44,000 employees, the transportation and contract logistics company maintains supply chains for 50,000 customers worldwide. Employee retention is high, with employees staying for an average of four years.
Jobs Available at XPO Logistics
- Material Handler/Operator: This professional assists with operations to develop and provide great customer service. They serve as a lead to staff by providing work direction while performing the most difficult tasks. They ensure that personnel are well-versed in all aspects of the business and fulfill all forklift requirements.
- Supply Chain Operations Specialist: This specialist assists with account administration, such as keeping client profiles, data, and service demands, and developing working connections with internal and external customers. They answer internal and external customer queries and concerns about shipments, billing, and carriers.
- Transportation Supervisor: A transportation supervisor provides hourly employees with guidance on proper material handling and work methodology. They also monitor employee productivity and quality of work, instruct drivers on appropriate material handling and routing, audit drivers’ logs, and train staff to audit records.
Where to Find XPO Logistics Jobs
XPO Logistics job listings are available on job search websites. It also has a “Work with Us” page where you can see new jobs available.
Henkel North American Consumer Goods, a division of the Dial Corporation, is an American chemical manufacturer based in Rocky Hill, Connecticut. This is a massive corporation with diversified manufacturing and services. The average salary for Henkel employees is about $53,457 per year.
Jobs Available at Henkel
- Warehouse Manager: A warehouse manager ensures that cycle counts are scheduled and completed according to set timetables. They support frequent follow-up meetings with count providers to follow up on deviations, root cause analysis, and effective corrective action implementation. They also create and submit monthly and periodic reports.
- Material Handler: A material handler uses forklifts to transport, stack, load, and unload materials, parts, and completed goods. They also conduct SAP functions and processes connected to shipping, receiving, and warehousing.
- Shift Programmer: A shift programmer is in charge of assisting, creating, and updating both new and current programs and graphics. They work with engineering, maintenance, and production department professionals to verify the accuracy of all PLC operations and plant programmers to execute programming work orders as needed.
Where to Find Henkel Jobs
You can find Henkel jobs on job search websites as well as its official careers page.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
First Health Medical Group
First Health Medical Group offers a wide array of health services, including acting as a health insurer. Strongly affiliated with Aetna, it also provides affordable insurance rates. The firm has a fairly high employee retention rate, with employees staying on average for four years. The average annual salary at First Health Medical Group is $46,917.
Jobs Available at First Health Medical Group
- Physical Therapist: This job requires a current or pending state license. Candidates must be a graduate of an accredited physical therapy program. A physical therapist provides specialized evaluations and treatment based on each patient’s particular needs as well as consulting services.
- Wellness Nurse: A wellness nurse helps with medication administration training and monitoring and communicates with resident support services and families. Eligible candidates for this position must be graduates of an accredited nursing program and hold a valid nursing license.
- Nursing Supervisor: A nursing supervisor ensures the health and well-being of patients. They are responsible for the nursing care delivered at the institution during the allotted shift. They supervise nurses in each unit, manage medical equipment, and perform other duties assigned by the Director of Nursing Services.
Where to Find First Health Medical Group Jobs
First Health Medical Group job listings and other health care jobs are available on job search websites.
Do Any Large Companies in Connecticut Hire Bootcamp Grads?
Yes, most large companies now see coding bootcamps as a valid alternative to traditional education. However, this is only relevant to technology-related professions. Many organizations consider the best coding bootcamps as an excellent way to find bright, diverse junior engineers and developers who may not have a formal computer science degree.
Largest Companies in Connecticut FAQ
Connecticut’s three major industries are education and health services, transportation and utilities, and government, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics report on Connecticut’s economy.
To secure a job in a large corporation, make sure you have a referral, spend time tailoring your resume to the job, and apply for a position where you meet 60 to 70 percent of the requirements.
You will find a financial services company offering diversified manufacturing and services, insurance companies, and health service companies in Connecticut.
You can find job listings by checking a company’s official website or job search websites like Indeed, LinkedIn, and Monster.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.