Machine learning certificates provide foundational knowledge and skills through fundamental courses and practical projects. Working professionals with a machine learning bachelor’s degree can also boost their in-demand skills and knowledge through machine learning college certificate programs.
Elite universities offer machine learning certificate programs with hands-on exercises taught by industry practitioners. These courses give a practical introduction to various aspects of machine learning.
We provide you with a list of the best undergraduate and graduate certificate programs provided by top-tier schools and organizations. These institutions offer self-paced learning options and traditional, in-person classes. The instructor-led training can provide a foundation of knowledge for further study to become machine learning engineers.
What Is a Machine Learning Certificate College Program?
A machine learning certificate college program is a non-degree learning path. It teaches deep learning and other artificial intelligence topics through coursework and hands-on experience. A certificate program focuses on basic knowledge of core subjects in the machine learning field.
Certificate programs require a minimum education and prerequisite courses for all applicants. Students who meet the certificate requirements of B or C grade in all courses will earn their certificates. These programs cover the specialized topics students need to move toward a career in machine learning.
What’s the Difference Between a College Machine Learning Certificate and Professional Certification in Machine Learning?
The difference between a college machine learning certificate and a professional certification is the certification process. You can earn a certificate through a program offered by a school or organization but you have to pass an exam to earn a certification.
An organization takes professionals through an assessment process for certification, and they must meet the industry standards required. Other common differences between a certificate and certification are the outcome and eligibility criteria.
Machine Learning College Certificate vs Machine Learning Certification: Key Differences
|Machine Learning Certificate||Machine Learning Certification|
|A machine learning college certificate requires students to complete courses to obtain the certificate.||You can earn machine learning certification through training and exams.|
|The course content is academic-based.||The standard of certification is industry-based.|
|Successful students can transfer credits to a degree program.||A certification is a credential professionals can place on their resume|
How Long Does It Take To Get a Machine Learning Certificate at College?
It takes one year, or two to three semesters, to get a machine learning certificate at college. Students should complete nine to 15 credit hours to receive a certificate. Several programs are flexible online courses of unsupervised learning for working professionals. We’ve listed popular machine learning certificates below to give you basic knowledge of various types of machine learning educational options.
Best Machine Learning Certificate Undergraduate Programs
|Florida Atlantic University||Certificate in Artificial Intelligence||$203/credit|
|Golden Gate University||Undergraduate Certificate In
|Milwaukee School of Engineering||Undergraduate Certificate in AI for Emerging Applications||$753/credit|
|San Francisco State University||Certificate in Data Science and Machine Learning for Biotechnology||$7,522/2 semesters|
|Temple University||Data Science: Computational Analytics Certificate||$571/credit|
|University of Florida||Undergraduate Certificate in AI Fundamentals and Applications||$6,380/year|
|University of Maryland Global Campus||Online Undergraduate Certificate in Machine Learning||$312/credit|
|University of Missouri-St. Louis||Undergraduate Certificate in Artificial Intelligence||$379/credit|
|University of Oklahoma||Undergraduate Certificate in Data Science and Analytics||$302/credit|
|University of Texas at San Antonio||Undergraduate Certificate in Data Science||$450/credit|
Best Undergraduate Machine Learning Certificate Programs: Explained
The best undergraduate machine learning certification programs give you a basic knowledge of deep learning models and hands-on guides. The list below will help you assess each program to choose the best fit for you.
Machine Learning College Certificate Program vs Machine Learning Associate Degree
Before enrolling in any academic program, it is important that you first determine your career goal to identify the best program for you. A few fundamental differences exist between a machine learning college certificate program and a machine learning associate degree.
- Program Length. College certificates are typically shorter than associate degrees. It usually takes one year to earn a certificate, while most associate degrees last for two years.
- Curriculum. A machine learning certificate program includes specific technical courses, while associate degrees may include additional general courses such as math, social sciences, or economics.
- Eligibility criteria. An undergraduate certificate program is for current undergraduate students who want to advance their knowledge in machine learning. They may also be allowed to transfer credits to a master’s degree program if they plan to pursue a graduate degree. Associate degrees accept high school graduates or GED holders.
- Resume boost. Most prospective employers require a degree for an entry-level position. While you may get entry-level jobs with a certificate, an associate degree may give you an advantage over certificate holders.
- Earning potential. An associate degree may offer you a higher earning potential because you receive a more well-rounded education. However, undergraduate certificates as part of a bachelor’s program may give you a greater advantage.
Best Online Associate Degrees
Best Associate Degrees
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Is an Undergraduate Machine Learning Certificate Worth It?
Yes, an undergraduate machine learning certificate is worth it. It is worth it if you plan to use it in conjunction with a bachelor’s degree or for credit toward a master’s degree. It will give you an advanced learning opportunity and lead you toward your dream role in the job market.
Best Machine Learning Certificate Graduate Programs
|Drexel University||Online Graduate Certificate in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning||$1355/credit|
|Georgia State University||Graduate Certificate in Trustworthy AI Systems||$4,776/semester|
|Marquette University||Graduate Certificate in Machine Learning for Engineering Applications||$1,245/credit|
|Milwaukee School of Engineering||Graduate Certificate in Machine Learning||$891/quarter|
|Sofia University||Graduate Certificate in AI & Machine Learning||$8,460 total|
|University of Missouri||Graduate Certificate in AI, Machine learning, and Automation in Business||$1,200/credit|
|The University of New Orleans||Graduate Certificate in Machine Learning & AI||$335/credit|
|University of North Dakota||Graduate Certificate in Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning||$545/credit|
|The University of Texas at Dallas||Graduate Certificate in Applied Machine Learning||$1,866/credit|
|University of Wisconsin||Graduate Certificate in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning||$843/credit|
Best Graduate Machine Learning Certificate Programs Explained
The best graduate machine learning certificates require between 12 to 18 credits. You can often transfer these credits toward a master’s degree. The colleges offer courses online and in person, with online courses having a more flexible pace of learning. Compare each program’s cost, courses, length, and requirements below.
Machine Learning Graduate Certificate Program vs Machine Learning Master’s Degree
There are significant differences between a machine learning graduate certificate program and a machine learning master’s degree. Common differences include the number of required credits, learning outcome, and the career path you can pursue after completing the program.
- Number of credits. A master’s degree usually requires 60 credit hours, while the graduate certificate program typically requires 12 to 15 credit hours. A master’s degree includes additional general education courses and a thesis or research project. A graduate certificate program focuses on technical courses and focused electives.
- Learning outcome. Students who earn a graduate certificate have proficient machine learning technical knowledge. Those who complete a master’s degree obtain skills in management and research and in-depth theoretical knowledge.
- Professional goal. Successful completion of a master’s degree qualifies you for leadership or managerial roles. A graduate certificate gives enough academic experience for higher-paying positions.
- Length of course. You can complete a graduate certificate in a year, while a master’s degree can be completed in two years by full-time students.
- Financial Aid. You can’t apply for federal financial aid with a graduate certificate program. Master’s degree students can apply for federal financial assistance.
Best Online Master’s Degrees
Best Master’s Degrees
Is a Graduate Machine Learning Certificate Worth It?
Yes, a graduate machine learning certificate is worth it, especially if you want to continue studying for a master’s degree. Most schools allow students to transfer credits from their graduate certificate to a master’s degree program. Even if you don’t plan to study further, a graduate certificate is an important addition to your resume.
Machine Learning Certificate Program Coursework
Machine learning certificate programs cover a broad field of subjects. Instructor-led training in these popular courses will give you a solid foundation for job readiness. The most common courses include introductions to machine learning, Python programming, data science, statistics, deep learning, and neural networks.
Introduction to Machine Learning
This course gives students basic knowledge of machine learning. The broad introduction includes machine learning models, applications, and machine learning concepts. This includes algorithms and techniques.
Python is a programming language commonly used in machine learning and artificial intelligence. It is a high-level language that includes valuable libraries such as the NumPy library, TensorFlow, and Pandas. You can use these in building prototypes for your machine learning application.
Applied Data Science
This course teaches students to develop their data science skills through practical applications. It includes collecting and analyzing data and making data-driven business decisions to solve real-world problems.
In this course, you will learn the different statistical techniques, exploratory data analysis, statistical pattern recognition, and statistical tools for prediction accuracy. Students learn how to implement statistical methods for data analysis through sampling and experimentation.
Deep Learning and Neural Networks
A neural network has a set of algorithms that think like the human brain. This course covers neural network fundamentals, deep learning, and machine learning. Students may require a background in Python programming and Jupyter Notebooks.
Best Online College Courses for Credit
What Can You Do With a Machine Learning Certificate from College?
With a machine learning certificate, you can apply for a software development role, engineering job, or analyst position. Several companies like Amazon, Meta, Intel Corporation, and Qualcomm hire machine learning industry experts. These companies offer competitive pay and a generous benefits package.
Best Machine Learning Jobs and Careers With a Certificate
|Job Role||Average Salary|
|Machine Learning Engineer||$113,499|
|Business Intelligence Developer||$101,527|
Best Machine Learning Certificate Jobs and Careers: Explained
The best machine learning certificate jobs and careers include machine learning engineers, software developers, business intelligence developers, business analysts, and data analysts. You can find many job opportunities in this field.
Should I Also Get a Machine Learning Certification?
Yes, you should also get a machine learning (ML) certification because this will help boost your job applications. Certifications demonstrate that you have the essential skills and knowledge in this field. Passing a certification exam means you are competitive and qualified to do the job.
Best Machine Learning Certifications
- Professional Machine Learning Engineer. Google cloud offers this certification program to evaluate your skills in identifying ML problems, creating solutions, and developing ML models. The two-hour certification exam consists of multiple-choice questions. You can take the online-proctored or onsite-proctored exam.
- AWS Certified Machine Learning – Specialty. This certification specialty exam by AWS will assess your skills in creating ML models for Amazon Web Services. Your experience in AWS cloud services can help you pass the exam. The 180-minute exam has 65 questions.
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Scientist Associate. Microsoft offers this professional certificate in data science to measure your skills in Azure machine learning. You can take either the free online or the instructor-led exam that costs $165.
- TensorFlow Developer Certificate. TensorFlow provides this professional certificate program to test your skills in ML applications using TensorFlow. This is a five-hour performance-based exam that you can take online.
- Certified Machine Learning Master (CMLM). This machine learning certification exam by the Global Skill Development Council will validate your skills in ML approaches, algorithms, and best practices.
Best Professional Certifications
Is a College Certificate for Machine Learning Worth It?
Yes, a college certificate for machine learning is worth it because it qualifies you for several in-demand jobs, and you can also use it for educational advancement. Undergrad students planning to pursue a Master’s Degree in Machine Learning can enroll in a certification program to gain advanced skills in machine learning.
A certificate also allows working professionals with a bachelor’s degree to learn the latest skills in machine learning and advance their knowledge without needing a master’s degree.
Machine Learning Certificates FAQ
Examples of machine learning (ML) real-world applications are high-tech solutions and devices such as self-driving cars, online fraud detectors, and virtual personal assistants. ML is also used in object recognition, speech recognition, cancer detection, traffic prediction, and email spam recognition.
To apply for machine learning jobs, check the company’s official website for job openings. Read the application process and requirements before sending your application. You can also visit third-party sites such as Indeed, LinkedIn, and Glassdoor to look for machine learning job opportunities.
The most common programming languages in a machine learning certificate program are Python, SQL, and R. These are commonly used in statistics and developing AI systems. These languages contain useful libraries and components for machine learning and AI.
Machine learning is not hard to learn for people with a background in programming, mathematics, or computer science. Machine learning requires an understanding of STEM. Beginners should first study Python programming courses.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.