There’s more support for women in science than ever before. The science, technical, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields are hotter than ever, and they sorely need more women in their ranks. STEM scholarships for female high school seniors, undergraduate, and graduate students are popping up all over the place. Before you reach for your wallet to cover your college or university tuition and expenses, take the time to explore scholarships for women in science.
In this article, we look at science scholarships for women pursuing many fields of study. We’ll go over the requirements for the following scholarships, and how much money each award will net you.
Higher education is expensive in the United States, and student loans are one of the biggest concerns for students pursuing a degree program. Don’t let inaction on your part price you out of a science education. Take a look at these women in science scholarship programs, begin applying for scholarships, and start working toward your future.
Computer Science Scholarships
If you prefer to communicate using computers, you’re a good candidate for a computer science scholarship. There are lots of scholarships for women in computer science available to help you get through school unscathed.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
5. The Association for Women in Mathematics is perfect for math-minded computer scientists. It features a series of travel and mentoring grants to give you a professional and personal boost. You should shoot for a top GPA to qualify for this award.
6. You can also try for the Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program, formally known as the Anita Borg scholarship. This scholarship was designed to identify and elevate top women in computer technology fields through financial assistance and a fantastic support network. Both of these scholarships are worth your time.
Now, if you’re interested in attending a coding bootcamp instead, be sure to check out our comprehensive list of coding bootcamp scholarships!
Physical Science Scholarships
The world always needs more physicists, chemists, geologists, and astronomers. If you’re interested in physical science and have the grades to qualify, you’re sure to find a scholarship to help you get where you want to go. These scholarships target female students in a physical science field and offer a range of benefits.
1. It might be a mouthful to say, but the National Physical Science Consortium offers fantastic physical science fellowships for worthy scholarship applicants. You’ll need a 3.0 GPA or higher to qualify.
2. Another option is the Maria Goeppert Mayer Award. This scholarship provides its awardee with $3000 plus travel expenses to present a lecture series. This award targets young female physicists at the start of their careers.
Are you less of a physical scientist and more of a life scientist? Do you get excited at the thought of looking at bacteria through microscopes? You sound like who these biology scholarships were designed to help. These scholarships target young women studying to become biologists or to work in a related profession.
3. The Libbie Hyman scholarship goes to a woman studying a marine science discipline like marine biology or oceanography. Selectees receive close to $2000 to study ocean invertebrates.
4. Another scholarship, the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology’s Excellence in Science Award, provides unrestricted grants of varying sizes to women biologists at different career stages.
Here are the 6 best scholarships around:
|The National Physical Science Consortium||$20,000 annually|
|The Maria Goeppert Mayer Award||$3000 plus travel expenses|
|The Libbie Hyman scholarship||$2000|
|The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology’s Excellence in Science Award||$5,000-$10,000|
|The Association for Women in Mathematics||Travel grant|
|The Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program||$10,000|
That’s the whole kit and kaboodle, folks. If you’re planning on starting a career in science but don’t know how you’re going to pay for it, give our guide a try. The prospect of free money and a bright future justifies any legwork on your part, so why not give these scholarships a shot? Your future self will thank you.
Try these free coding courses![ck_prep_courses]
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.