Utah is a beautiful Rocky Mountain state with a lot to offer in scenery and lifestyle. In addition to the beautiful mountains and plains, Utah is home to some of the nation’s best education programs, including new University of Utah coding bootcamps.
Though the college is over one hundred years old, its approach to education is anything but dated. The University of Utah has seized the opportunity to host a new kind of education program for the 21st century: a university coding BootCamp.
The university has created one of the best coding bootcamps in Utah. The program is well-rounded and advanced, and it combines the University of Utah’s long-standing prestige with the rigors and outcomes of high-quality coding bootcamps. The University of Utah’s coding bootcamp offers several excellent education programs, and we’ll cover all the details in this article.
University of Utah Extension Bootcamps
|Location||Online, Salt Lake City, UT|
|Start Dates||Quarterly start dates with rolling admission|
|Class Time||Part-Time: 9 hrs./wk. plus 20 hrs./wk. outside of class time|
|Program Duration||Part-Time: 24 weeks|
|Coding, Data Analytics, Cybersecurity, UX/UI|
Top University of Utah Coding Bootcamps
The University of Utah coding bootcamps teach students about topics in web development, cyber security, UX/UI design, and data analytics. These bootcamps are taught as a partnership between the University of Utah and Trilogy Education Services.
Like other Trilogy-powered programs, students at the University of Utah coding bootcamps cover a market-driven curriculum, create a professional portfolio, and have access to comprehensive career services to help with their job search.
University of Utah Coding Bootcamp
The University of Utah Coding Bootcamp teaches students how to build websites from scratch. Students will learn programming skills through hands-on experiences. This Utah coding bootcamp is ideal for students who want to become professional web developers, particularly full stack developers.
What you will learn at University of Utah Coding Bootcamp:
- Backend Web Development. The next step in this learning experience helps students build the technical skills needed to power websites. This includes writing server code with Node.js and using MySQL databases.
- Optimizing Performance. In this module, students learn how to use MySQL and MongoDB databases to make web applications run quickly. Students will also learn how to make progressive web applications from traditional applications and how to use React to create single-page applications.
- Optional Portfolio Building Module. This optional module teaches students additional in-demand technologies like Python, Java, Amazon Web Services, and C#. It also gives students a chance to grow their portfolio of projects to show off their skills to potential employers.
University of Utah Cyber Security Bootcamp
The Utah university cyber security bootcamp prepares students for the job market with key skills in technologies that potential employers are looking for. Not only will students learn how to use tools like Wireshark, Nessus, and Metasploit, but they will also be prepared to take professional cyber security certification exams.
What you will learn at University of Utah Cyber Security Bootcamp:
- Digital Risk Assessment. This comprehensive learning experience starts by teaching students fundamental concepts in cyber security, disaster recovers, CIA Triad, and risk mitigation.
- Network Security and Systems Administration. The next stage of this university bootcamp covers technical skills in securing networks, email, and cloud storage. Students will learn about Wireshark, network architecture, encryption, Linux and Windows server configuration, and Kerberos.
- Offensive and Defensive Techniques. Students will learn how to prepare for and respond to cyber attacks using Burp Suite, Zenmap, pivoting networks, Splunk, forensics, and penetration testing.
- Professional Certification. The final section prepares students for the Security+ and CEH professional certification exams. Students will also collaborate with peers on projects to complete their bootcamp experience.
University of Utah Data Analytics Bootcamp
This University of Utah data science bootcamp focuses on data science fundamentals used in the closely related field of data analytics. The curriculum is tailored to meet market demand for data science professionals, with topics in different programming languages, statistical methods, data visualization, and big data protocols.
What you will learn at University of Utah Data Analytics Bootcamp:
- Microsoft Excel. Most people are familiar with Microsoft Excel, but did you know you can use it to model data and predict future outcomes? In this program, you’ll learn how to use VBA scripting and pivot tables in Excel, as well as fundamental concepts in statistics.
- Data Analysis. Students will learn how to use Python to analyze data. This section will cover tools such as NumPy, Matplotlib, and Pandas.
- Data Visualization. In this module, you’ll learn how to visualize data and how to share interactive visualizations using web development skills.
- Additional Technologies. The topics in this section get updated often to meet current market demand. Currently, students learn Tableau, Hadoop, and machine learning techniques.
University of Utah UX/UI Bootcamp
What you will learn at University of Utah UX/UI Bootcamp:
- Web Design Research. Students will learn the design process from start to finish, starting with researching user needs, interviewing users about their experiences, and how to use both quantitative and qualitative research practices.
- Visual Prototyping. Students will practice wireframing and visual prototyping using Adobe, Google Slides, and Figma. Students also learn how to do decision mapping and use decision flow diagrams.
- User Interface Construction. To create appealing websites, you’ll need to learn about color theory, typography, and interactive design. You’ll get to practice these principles through hands-on learning experiences.
University of Utah Coding Bootcamp Review
Coding bootcamps are relatively new on the education scene, so there aren’t too many platforms for graduates and current students to review their programs. Nonetheless, the University of Utah’s coding bootcamp curriculum is excellent, and the training program structure is well-researched. As a result, we expect many students to fare well during the program and after graduation.
University of Utah Coding Bootcamp Cost
In the US, coding bootcamps typically cost between $8,000 and $20,000 for the entire program. While that may seem like a lot, it’s essential to consider what you’re getting for the price. Unlike college, there are generally no expensive textbooks to purchase or any other massive hidden fees. Also, once you’re done with the program, you’re ready to hunt for jobs.
The majority of coding bootcamps cost around what the University of Utah’s program does. Both the full stack web development and cyber security course at the University of Utah cost $12,995, making these part-time courses right around the national average.
If the UT coding bootcamp cost seems off-putting, don’t worry—there are plenty of great scholarships and financing options for qualified students. An admissions advisor can also help you find ways to reduce the University of Utah coding bootcamp cost.
The instructors at the University of Utah’s coding bootcamp are excellent. To be a good instructor, you must be both an expert in your coding field and a great teacher. While some bootcamps suffer in this regard, it doesn’t seem to be the case at this university coding BootCamp.
According to all accounts, the instructors at University of Utah bootcamps are outstanding teachers. It’s easy to see why, as students report that their TAs, instructors, tutors, and other bootcamp staff are all extremely helpful and attentive. From what we can gather, the University of Utah’s coding bootcamp does an excellent job choosing instructors for its program.
When instructors aren’t available, students say friendly teacher’s assistants are there to assist them when they get stuck. Students can also use the University of Utah bootcamp tutor network to get additional help with course material.
The University of Utah’s coding bootcamp schedule follows a relatively standardized itinerary for coding programs, and each part-time course lasts 24 weeks. The university offers four part-time programs in full stack web development, cyber security, data analysis, and UX/UI.
These programs are excellent choices for both students and employed adults, as classes take place on two weeknights from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM. Students in this program also attend class on Saturdays from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
In addition to the time spent in class, students should expect to spend an additional 20 hours on take-home assignments and collaborative projects. While it may seem like a lot to take home 20 extra hours of work, it’s really not a tremendous sacrifice for the portfolio of projects you’ll build in that time.
University of Utah Coding Bootcamp Curriculum
The curriculum at any coding bootcamp is intense, but not all programs assign equally strenuous assignments. As far as intensity goes, the University of Utah’s coding bootcamp curriculum falls somewhere in the middle. The important part is that students learn everything they need to know to succeed in the work environment and qualify for high-paying tech jobs.
The University of Utah’s cyber security bootcamp is not nearly as programming-heavy as the full stack course, but it still includes instruction in a handful of programming languages. Course material for the cyber security program includes practical training in CompTIA Security+ and CompTIA Network+.
Bootcamp Reddit Discussions
Reddit is a helpful resource for finding honest reviews, and coding bootcamps are a popular topic on the forums. There aren’t many reviews for the University of Utah’s coding bootcamp, but a few users on Reddit say University of Utah bootcamps met their expectations and helped them become professional web developers.
Though we can’t find much in terms of specific reviews, there’s still plenty of useful information on Reddit about coding bootcamps in general. Most students recommend preparing before attending the course in order to get the most out of it.
There are plenty of strategies to prepare, including a basic coding introduction to get a feel for things before you dive in. Career Karma can help, so be sure to check out this article on what a coding bootcamp is before enrolling. You can also find solid preparation resources on Reddit for University of Utah coding bootcamps.
University of Utah Coding Bootcamp Job Placement
University of Utah coding bootcamp job acceptance rates aren’t posted, but many coding bootcamps place between 70 and 90 percent of their graduates in high-growth careers. This is a high percentage for any education program. University of Utah bootcamps don’t have a job guarantee, but they do refer students for jobs through their strong network of partner businesses.
The University of Utah’s coding bootcamp hasn’t been around quite long enough yet to gauge their job placement with a number, so we have to look for a different source of information. The internet provides many sources of student testimony, and so far, it looks good. We’re confident that student sentiment will remain positive for the foreseeable future at this excellent coding bootcamp.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
University of Utah Bootcamp Admissions Process
The University of Utah coding bootcamp admissions process has a few steps, but it doesn’t take lots of time. Unlike traditional applications, you have a short admission interview at the beginning of the application process to make sure you understand the bootcamp program, available payment plans, and admissions requirements.
You don’t need any coding skills to apply. Read on for a step-by-step guide to the University of Utah Coding bootcamp admissions process.
- Submit a contact form. The first step in the admissions process is to submit a simple contact form with your name and contact information. You can find this form on the official bootcamp website.
- Complete an admissions interview. After you submit a contact form, an admissions advisor will reach out to you for a quick interview. The admissions interview is a quick screening to make sure the bootcamp program is a good fit for you, and it is also your opportunity to ask any questions you have about the coding bootcamp or the University of Utah coding bootcamp admissions process.
- Fill out an application. The admissions team will send an official application to prospective students after the admissions interview. The application is a short questionnaire with questions about your academic background and work history.
- Take a short online assessment. Before enrolling, prospective students need to take a short online assessment with 20 multiple-choice questions. This assessment tests your critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Choose a payment plan and enroll. Once you’ve been accepted, an admissions advisor will send you information about different payment options. The final step before attending classes is to choose a payment option and make your first payment to officially enroll.
University of Utah Bootcamp Payment Options
University of Utah bootcamp payment options include payment plans and student loans. Unfortunately, University of Utah coding bootcamp scholarship options are very slim. You can get a tuition discount if you pay the full amount of tuition upfront or if you are a University of Utah alumni.
Students who are able to pay the full amount of tuition by the first day of class can get a $500 discount. That’s almost four percent off the full cost of tuition. It might be worth delaying your enrollment date until you can pay in full. Remember, these intensive, short-term courses have new start dates every quarter.
Interest-Free Payment Plan
Students who can’t pay in full by the first day of class can enroll in a Climb Credit payment plan over a period of 24 months. This payment plan is different from a bootcamp loan because you don’t have to pay any interest.
University of Utah Alumni Discount
University of Utah Alumni can get a $500 discount on their bootcamp tuition, regardless of what their major was. You don’t need to be located in Salt Lake City to take advantage of this alumni discount.
AmeriCorps Education Award
If you served as an AmeriCorps volunteer, then you are eligible for an Education Award. The AmeriCorps Education Award amount is the same amount as the yearly maximum award for Federal Pell Grants. Education Awards must be used within seven years of completing your AmeriCorps service.
If you have exhausted all other payment options, it might be time to look into a private loan. Coding bootcamp loans, like other student loans, require you to pay back the full amount you borrow plus interest. Research the terms of any loan carefully before signing, and only use this option as a last resort.
Is the University of Utah Coding Bootcamp Worth It?
Yes, the University of Utah coding bootcamp is worth it. You’ll learn in-demand skills through hands-on projects and build a professional portfolio. These part-time, online programs taught by experienced instructors are easy to fit into a busy schedule.
The University of Utah bootcamps are designed to help you land your dream job in the tech industry. Not only will you get hands-on training in the technical skills you need to be successful, but you’ll also have access to comprehensive career services to help you with your job search after you graduate.
University of Utah Coding Bootcamp FAQ
The University of Utah coding bootcamp isn’t free, but students do have different payment options. There are tuition discounts, interest-free payment programs, and student loans. Prospective students can also look into bootcamp scholarships, such as these coding bootcamp scholarships for women in tech.
The University of Utah’s bootcamps don’t have a career guarantee, but University of Utah bootcamp students have access to a wide range of career services that coding bootcamp graduates can continue to use after graduation. The career services team can help with your job search with interview preparation, professional portfolio review, and a strong network of employment partners.
Yes, students and non-students are welcome at the University of Utah bootcamps. Working professionals and students can fit these part-time, online classes into their busy schedules. The University of Utah coding bootcamp programs are also available through in-person classes to both students and non-students.
No, college credits aren’t available through the University of Utah bootcamps. Instead, coding bootcamp graduates earn a coding certificate from the university. If you want to earn college credit, you will need to take official college courses instead of University of Utah coding bootcamp courses.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.