The best online jobs for 13-year-olds include freelance writing, simple ecommerce stores, graphic design, and others. You can pursue several jobs if you want to advance your career as a 13-year-old. Some jobs, however, have a minimum age requirement, so you might have difficulty finding one.
In this article, we’ll discuss different jobs for 13-year-olds to make money online, such as online surveys, video game live streaming, and voice-over acting. You can look for jobs within these industries as long as you have an internet connection. Let’s dive in.
How to Make Money as a 13-Year-Old with Online Jobs
Jobs for 13-year-olds typically require a specific skill, such as writing, designing, or video editing. These are some jobs that you can look for if you have spare time during the summer or on weekends.
In addition, personal finance is a great aspect of life to cultivate and sharpen at an early age. You can gain new skills and experience to help you pursue your dream career by seeking online jobs.
Pros and Cons of Online Jobs
There are pros and cons of working online. Having extra money as a teen can help you buy the things you need and want. Online jobs can help you develop time management skills for personal growth.
However, you may have difficulty finding jobs because online jobs for teenagers are limited to industries with low entry barriers. You may also experience high levels of stress if you have other responsibilities besides school and social life.
Pros of Working Online as a 13-Year-Old
- Work From Home. One of the most appealing aspects of online jobs is that they can be done from the comfort of your own home, as opposed to traditional work, which may require commuting.
- Flexible Work Hours. If you’re on summer break or have free time on weekends, online jobs with flexible working hours are a great way to fill your time.
- Gain Work Experience. Online jobs are a great way to gain work experience for future careers.
- Time Management. Working teaches you certain internet job responsibilities such as time management. It helps develop discipline and self-control.
- Extra Income. Having extra income in exchange for a little time is a great payoff. Personal finance is an important skill to develop as you work toward financial independence in the future.
Cons of Working Online as a 13-Year-Old
- Limited Employment Opportunities. 13-year-old teenagers have limited job opportunities due to their age and limited experience.
- Limited Time. Teen jobs typically have limited working hours. If you only have a limited amount of time during summer break or on weekends, you won’t be able to fully commit to your online job.
- Age Limit. Most jobs have a minimum age requirement. As a 13-year-old teenager, you have limited options when it comes to online jobs.
- Increased Stress Levels. Working teenagers are vulnerable to high levels of stress due to other responsibilities they have.
- Erratic Salaries. Online jobs may not provide job security compared to a traditional 9-5 job. This may affect your income stream because it fluctuates based on your work output.
What Online Jobs Hire 13-Year-Olds?
Teens can find online jobs primarily in the ecommerce and entertainment industries. These jobs allow you to work from home and make decent pay if you have a stable internet connection. There are numerous jobs available, including gaming, customer service, and creative endeavors.
|Jobs||Minimum Age||Hourly Wage|
|Voice-Over Talent||No minimum||$29.75|
|Online Survey Taker||13+||$25.38|
|Social Media Influencer||13+||$22.45|
|Video Game Live Streamer||13+||$20.59|
10 Jobs for 13-Year-Olds to Make Money Online
1. Voice-Over Talent
A voice-over talent narrates a story or provides the voice for a character in a film or television show. Certain film studios require teen voice actors to help them in their productions, making this an ideal job for teenagers. In addition, you can narrate commercials or advertisements for a wide range of companies and businesses.
You can become a YouTuber if you have a video camera and film editing software. A YouTube channel can cover a wide range of topics, such as online games, movies and TV shows, and lifestyle content. This is also a good way to generate passive income because advertisements on published YouTube videos generate real money.
3. Online Survey Taker
You can complete surveys for a variety of companies and sites. Survey sites like Paid Viewpoint provide surveys that you can answer. Payments are made in cash, though some websites accept gift cards. Surveys can be a lucrative job for teenagers.
4. Social Media Influencer
You can become a social media influencer if you enjoy using social media. Companies will hire you for business opportunities and affiliate marketing if you have a significant following on a social media platform. These sponsorships typically consist of affiliate links in your social media profile.
Furthermore, you can do brand collaborations and promote a company’s product or write insightful reviews for your audience. These marketing jobs for teenagers are lucrative and a great way to hone your social media marketing skills.
5. Amazon Seller
If you have items to sell at home, you can list them on online marketplaces such as Amazon. As you interact with your customers, you will have the opportunity to make direct sales and become a customer service representative. It also teaches you how to manage your money and time, as well as how to make decisions and establish business opportunities.
There are different types of writing that you can pursue online. First, if you enjoy creating fictional stories, you can pursue a career in creative writing. Next, if you enjoy creating informative content, you can become a freelance writer.
There are sites like HubPages that allow you to publish your writing on their website. If you are under the age of 18, you must use the site with adult supervision. Furthermore, being a creative or a freelance writer is an amazing job for teenagers who enjoy writing.
7. Video Game Live Streamer
Sites like Twitch allow you to stream while playing your favorite video games. You get paid through sponsorships or charitable donations from your viewers. 13-year-old online gamers can use the platform to build an audience and show off their gaming skills.
8. Graphic Artist
If you enjoy drawing or creating digital art, you can work as a graphic designer or artist. Teen artists can sell their work on websites like Etsy or DeviantArt. These online marketplaces specialize in art pieces such as drawings, crafts, and decorations.
You can become a photographer if you have an eye for the perfect shot and a camera at your disposal. First, you must create a portfolio to show potential clients. You can photograph events or parties with your family and friends.
Once you’ve built a significant portfolio, you can approach various companies for advertising work. This can also be a local job if anyone in your neighborhood needs photography services.
10. Book Seller
You can sell various books, including textbooks, fiction novels, and non-fiction books. Online selling platforms like eBay or Facebook Marketplace are great places to sell used books. You can ask for adult supervision and assistance when using these platforms.
Other Easy Jobs for 13-Year-Olds
- Pet Sitter. If you love pets, becoming a pet sitter can be a good way to spend your free time. Being a pet sitter can include walking dogs, feeding fish, and caring for cats.
- Plant Sitter. You can make money as a plant sitter if you enjoy taking care of plants.
- Yard or Garage Sale Assistant. You can assist your family in selling items in the house they no longer need by putting them up for sale.
- Artist. If you’re a painter or an artist, you can take commissions from others. This job can be very lucrative if you have the necessary skills.
- Baker. Baking cookies, cupcakes, or other treats can be a great source of income. If you have a passion for baking, you can sell your baked goods to people in your neighborhood.
Should You Get an Online Job as a 13-Year-Old?
Yes, if you want to earn money and learn financial management skills, you should get an online job as a 13-year-old. There are opportunities available to you as long as you have a reliable internet connection. These jobs can help you develop writing, designing, or entrepreneurship skills. They also allow you to earn extra money to save and buy the things you need and want.
Online Jobs for 13-Year-Olds FAQ
Yes, some jobs have a minimum age requirement, which may impede your job search. However, you can pursue jobs that are easily accessible. Jobs such as writing or vlogging have few to no entry barriers.
First, you must have certain marketable skills, such as writing or drawing. You can then advertise yourself to employers or on websites like Fiverr for freelance work. On the other hand, you can also do other jobs like dog-walking or baking.
You can achieve balance through effective time management. Recognize that you have limited time for school and work, establish appropriate boundaries, and create schedules. This way, you can manage both your internet job and your school responsibilities.
Yes, a coding bootcamp can help you land a job as a 13-year-old. There are free online coding bootcamps made for high school students. There’s also a free coding app for iOS called Hopscotch that can teach you how to code.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot